Lockeddoes anyone use fiberglass rods anymore?

Author
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
  • Reward points: 0
2015/06/13 15:32:06 (permalink)

does anyone use fiberglass rods anymore?

though not as light as graphite, they sure helped many to bring some nice fish to net.  i still tinker with either having one of my old conolons refurbished or buying another off of ebay someday.

10 Replies Related Threads

Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1231
    Re: does anyone use fiberglass rods anymore? 2015/06/14 09:01:22 (permalink)
    Yes! Just because something is considered old fashion doesn't mean it quits working. I still poles and reels ,I bought in the 70's and they still great.
    Pro Angler
    Re: does anyone use fiberglass rods anymore? 2015/06/14 10:04:37 (permalink)
    i was thinking about picking up one for hybrid stripers.  don't get me wrong, i love how strong and light that graphite rods are but i caught so many fish on glass rods in the 60s and 70s and loved how the softer actions helped in landing fish.

jigs, will the new reels match up to the reel seats on glass rods?
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: does anyone use fiberglass rods anymore? 2015/06/14 12:40:59 (permalink)

does anyone use fiberglass rods anymore?

Golly Gee Willikers does that question ever bring back some long ago memories.  I remember the catalogs; J.C. Penney, Sears & Roebuck, Montgomery Ward, etc. laying open on the neighbor's kitchen table.  The folks were flipping the pages back and forth, passing the catalogs around to each other and talking about........... fiberglass fishing rods.   Back in those days, the internet didn't exist so, information about new outdoor sports products usually came from a 'department store catalog', word of mouth (from someone that got a catalog before you) or, a trip to Re-Arm Sports Center down the alley between Liberty  and Buffalo St. in Franklin, PA.  Ahh those were the days, going with dad when he went for his hunting license(dad didn't fish), the smell of gun oil and nitro solvent hitting your nose before you were three steps in the door.  Than there was the loud mouthed salesman who knew anything about everything and he wanted everybody in the store to know it when he was answering your question.  Dad would avoid that dude like the plaque and always responded "just looking" when approached which,  brought about the response "Wellllllll  just let me know if you need something".  Not sure what it was dad would mutter each time but, I think it had to do with the South end of North bound horse.  

Sorry..... got caught-up in the moment, back to the table full of catalogs where the buzz centered around Fenwick vs Shakespeare etc.

Fast forward to the dawning of 'competitive bass fishing' and me being trusted to hold my own fishing rod without fear of me tossing the rod when I felt the tug of a fish as the bobber disappeared.  Hey, I wasn't about to get 'stung' by no catfish that might be on my fishing line, no wayyyyy!  Anyway, who doesn't remember the Fenwick "LunkerStik"?  Man-o-Man that was the rod to have if ya wanted to be known as an angler, that is until the newbie, a combination of graphite and glass came along and it had a lifetime guarantee not to break.  I still have the two rods I bought when Shakespeare introduced the "Ugly Stik" back, I believe in 1976.  Bought em at Delkampers in Meadville, PA. even though I still lived in Franklin I chose to not shop locally, I didn't want to deal with that loud mouthed dude either!

To make a long story short.................  yep I still use those rods especially when I troll, pulling long leaders behind dipsy divers using 4 lb test or, more. 

I gotta go, it's Sunday.........  I have this hankering for a big plate of overcooked eggs, extra crispy bacon, burnt toast and, fish!

Have a good week and tight lines to all............

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    Re: does anyone use fiberglass rods anymore? 2015/06/14 13:08:53 (permalink)
    I've never had any problems.
    Pro Angler
    Re: does anyone use fiberglass rods anymore? 2015/06/14 18:59:09 (permalink)
    btdt, i share similar experiences.  not so much the catalogs but the spring issues of outdoor life, field and stream and sports afield.  remember the tri-fold ads for all the new and established mitchell reels and conolon rods every spring?  in my neck of the woods, the youngstown vindicator would run ads for consoldidated dept. store every thursday.  i could not wait to see what was on sale.  every memorial day they would sell the old mitchell 300s, made in france, for 9.99.  in the late spring they would put their conolon 'star' rods on sale.  that, through the late 60s and into the 70s, was where i spent hard earned money and fed an addiction.

today, consoldiated is gone. so are the conolon rods and french made mitchells, but as jigs said, they were good enough then, why not now?i'll continue to watch ebay for a 7' medium power rod for hybrids.

funny, but as far as the old stuff goes, i still carry a box of cp swings and a box of cp swings in my vest or sling pack.  as expected, they continue to catch fish quite well.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: does anyone use fiberglass rods anymore? 2015/06/14 23:16:35 (permalink)
    The original Mitchell 300 or; Johnson Century, CP Swings and Rapalas...... it just did not get any better than that! 

You mention the magazines; teachers all knew when the new issues were out, all the guys would be requesting "library passes" during "study Hall" so we could do research for reports.  Reports on what was new and what would be coming out in the future for fishing and hunting.  Dang if there would of been classes on those subjects I would of been a straight "A" student.  As for the Youngstown Vindicator, I delivered Sunday papers and the Vindicator was the first thing I'd dig for before starting my route..... can ya guess what I bought with the money I made?  

Was wondering what I was gonna do in the morning cause it's calling for rain(Sam says he would slap me if I fished in the rain) so, I'm gonna check out a indoor flea market to see what I can see.  I know I've seen fishing rods there but, I never checked them out.  Watch your PM, I'll let ya know if I find sumthin.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

johnthefisherman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    Re: does anyone use fiberglass rods anymore? 2015/06/15 10:19:35 (permalink)
    Fer crankin yea.

Pro Staff:
    Liquid Mayhem: www.liquidmayhem.com
    Lunker City: www.lunkercity.com
    Titan Tungsten: www.titan-tungsten.com
    Trophy Technology: www.trophytechnology.com 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing 

Walleye jigs
    Pro Angler
    Re: does anyone use fiberglass rods anymore? 2015/06/15 11:05:07 (permalink)
    I still use a Daiwa minispin and two Daiwa minicast poles from the late 70s. Use to sneak them in my company truck just in case the job was near water! Judging by feel I've caught some huge fish, even carried the minispin up and down the east coast.
    Pro Angler
    Re: does anyone use fiberglass rods anymore? 2015/06/15 14:42:49 (permalink)
    lol....i had one conolon and a 300 that never left my trunk.  i kept it wrapped up (no rod cases for these back then) and when i finally passed it along to a buddy, it still looked like new.  that outfit put many holes in the mouths of walleyes over the years.  what i wouldn't give to have that rod back.

again, i love my graphite rods but just as is the case in music, the glass rods were a different instrument altogether.
    fishmonger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    Re: does anyone use fiberglass rods anymore? 2015/06/17 16:12:36 (permalink)
    I have fiberglass fly rods and spinning rods. I use them mostly for river fishing in the Juniata. I have several sizes of Mitchell reels, and I love using them also. I have a couple of Shakespeare wound fiberglass fly rods, Presidential I think. Caught lots of trout with them. Fished with a South Bend automatic fly reel most of my younger years.

Fishmonger
    Jump to: