tube fly hook holder/ junction tubing

Author
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2074
  • Reward points: 0
2014/10/15 08:21:57 (permalink)

tube fly hook holder/ junction tubing

I started tying on tubes the other day. I'm using clear and red straws from aerosol chemical cans like wd40. Is the commercially available soft tubing that connects the fly to the hook a vinyl type material or more of a silicone tubing? I'm gonna try to match up some fuel line tubing from my local lawnmower repair shop. Just wondering what type to get.

5 Replies Related Threads

Plum Bob
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 575
    Re: tube fly hook holder/ junction tubing 2014/10/15 19:09:53 (permalink)
    Don't know much about the tubing you mentioned. I tie a lot of tube flies for steelhead and buy the tubing on line specifically designed for tube flies. It's a bit more expensive but better quality & more resistant to cracking or splitting especially in cold water. I like HMH hybrid tubing, size medium, combined with HMH micro tubing. This stuff can be purchased at many online fly shops.

The hybrid tubing is notched & the micro tubing inserted into the hybrid tubing about 1/4" then lashed together with 6/0 tying thread. You can tie your fly on this hybrid, micro tubing with no need for junction tubing. Hooks I use are straight eye size 6 & 8 usually Daiichi 1650 or Tiemco 105. Fly is finished off with a size medium or small cone. Don't know what material the tubing is made of, believe it's silicone, not sure though. Google tying tube flies. Lots of info on tying them, patterns, etc. I tie mine on a tapered blind eye hook, Alec Jackson size 1/0, fits in any standard vise. You can buy different size tube needles to tie with. The blind eye hook works well for me & all I use to tie on. For what I tie, no need for needles or adaptors. Good luck with this. Lots of fun tying these. 
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    Re: tube fly hook holder/ junction tubing 2014/10/15 23:53:36 (permalink)
    silicon will make better junction tubing.

buying fly tying specific products takes the guess work out

FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re: tube fly hook holder/ junction tubing 2014/10/16 07:04:13 (permalink)
    Thanks guys. Silicone makes more sense as its a lot more flexible. I'll see if I can find the right diameter. Ive been sliding my piece of tube onto a sewing machine needle and clamping the tip in my vise. I've only done a half dozen or so so far. But its working well. I have some of the silicone tubing for blackbird floats that seems to be the right size. But if memory serves, last time my weed Wacker broke down, my local mower repair place had the same stuff for pennies per foot.
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: tube fly hook holder/ junction tubing 2014/11/06 07:31:59 (permalink)
    So you are the guy taking the tubes off the spray cans at National Auto! LOL!

L13
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re: tube fly hook holder/ junction tubing 2014/11/06 09:18:12 (permalink)
    Ha. No, I'm an auto mechanic. I get them regularly with chemicals I'm using. I have red ones and clear ones. I found the right size junction tubing at the mower repair place. Sadly only in chartreuse. But I can work w that for now. .080" Id fuel line. Anyone care to try n measure the o.d. of the hard tubes they're using so I can figure if commercial junction tube will be compatible with my free hard tubes?
    Jump to: