fly rod setup for steelhead

Author
chuckaluck
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points: 0
2014/10/03 11:23:20 (permalink)

fly rod setup for steelhead

I would like to know how to set up my fly rod for steelhead. I will be fishing 20 mile mostly. would like to know what leader and what weight and length. tippet weight and length and anything else I may need to know that I cant think of. I am new to fly fishing and want to try to learn the right way. any help would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to know if a 6 weight is heavy enough for steelhead?
post edited by chuckaluck - 2014/10/03 11:28:11

8 Replies Related Threads

zdub7
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 46
    Re: fly rod setup for steelhead 2014/10/03 15:04:40 (permalink)
    Don't know much about fly fishing but you will want to go with 6lb test fluorocarbon if the water is a little stained but if it is clearwater then you most likely will have to use fluoro 4lb test.
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    Re: fly rod setup for steelhead 2014/10/03 17:27:46 (permalink)
    I used an 8 foot long 6 weight when I fished Crooked Creek years ago and it worked fine for me.  You may be different though so try it and go from there.

I'm strictly an amateur fly fisherman but what I used was about 4 foot section of a tapered mono fly leader needle knotted to my fly line.  At the end I used a very small swivel and then would just attach 3 feet or so of whatever line I was using.  6 pound was the most common but 4 and 8 were also used.

As others have stated on other threads they are only a stupid fish, theres no need to over think it.  I always used a small indicator also unless I was stripping streamers.
    wrighter00
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 175
    Re: fly rod setup for steelhead 2014/10/09 01:26:23 (permalink)
    6wt is a little light for Steelhead, but it will work. I'm sure you'll work it out once you start hooking fish. 7/8wt rods from 8'-10' are the norm, but honestly, that part is up to you. As for the leader/tippet, I'd start at about your rod length and add some depending on your casts. For Steelhead you wanna keep from dumping the fly line on the fish so it helps to have a longer leader. It also gives you plenty of room for a float. Fleurocarbon is prefered as it tends to be less visible.

Think of it like this. You wouldn't be the only one who has ever caught Steelhead on a 6wt fly rod. Once you get your technique down then you can buy whatever specific rod you may want depending on your experience. Good luck.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    Re: fly rod setup for steelhead 2014/10/10 16:27:49 (permalink)
    what wrighter00 says. leader/tippet length no longer than your rod length.  just starting out i'd go with a 7wt. 9' or 9 1/2" if you can find one. most important is a good reel. you'll burn the drag out of cheap ones. mid to large arbor preferred.

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    Re: fly rod setup for steelhead 2014/10/11 11:21:38 (permalink)
    To save money on Floro tippet I just buy the 300yrd spools of Seaguar Ivis-X 100% floro. Only $15 for the spool.
    8lb for high and colored water.
    6 lb for dropping and clearing water.
    4 lb for low and clear.
    You can run a short tapered trout leader and 4-6 ft of floro.
    In muddy conditions I just run a 9ft 8lb floro leader.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re: fly rod setup for steelhead 2014/10/11 14:27:30 (permalink)
    that's exactly what I do, run Seaguar fluoro fishing line in 6 or 8 lb test depending on conditions.  not paying for tippet.  i run a 7 ft fluoro butt end, tippet ring or tiny swivel, more fluoro line. if anything breaks, it breaks at the tippet ring. 
    chuckaluck
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re: fly rod setup for steelhead 2014/10/12 19:29:24 (permalink)
    thanks for all the info.it is very helpful and appreciate!
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    Re: fly rod setup for steelhead 2014/10/21 09:01:20 (permalink)
    Same as bings, I tend to use up any remaining fluoro tippet I have from the spring/summer season, then if/when I burn through that, I go to a big spool of the Inviz-X in 6lb.  If you're getting down to the bottom where you need to be, you'll be shredding through tippet pretty quickly, and at $15/spool for Grand Max, that can get spendy fast, especially if you're also losing decent portions of your leader to trees.

With all the weight generally associated with drifting the PA ditches, smooth, pretty turnover has pretty much gone out the door anyway, so a long, straight length of 6lb fluoro line does the job just as well as anything else.
    Jump to: