Author
jah1317
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 165
  • Reward points: 0
2014/07/13 07:47:16 (permalink)

New flyrod weight thoughts

Hello all, 

Looking to get a new fly rod to replace the ones that i had lost in a house fire we had recently (everyone got out fine thank god!). I luckily had my 10' 7 wt in the car so i am set for steelhead however, i am trying to figure out a good rod for fishing French creek for small mouth and also stockies in the spring. I was thinking a 4 wt but was also toying with the thought of a 5 wt. I am not throwing anything crazy big clousers, buggers, triple threats (thank you Dano), and that type of thing. I am looking to buy right, I am not looking for brand suggestions necessarily, however if you feel the need that is fine to do so. I will be trying them out for balance and feel before purchase and yes, i plan on using our awesome site sponsor for my purchases :). What i am looking for is thoughts on weight and length. Water and species are listed below. 

French creek
local trout streams with some tight spots

Small mouth
stockies

Primarily nymph fishing and stripping streamers - rarely use dries

Thanks in advance to those who respond. 

Have a great day, and if you rent and don't have renters insurance, get it TODAY!

Regards,

Jacob 

3 Replies Related Threads

fishingood
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 95
    Re: New flyrod weight thoughts 2014/07/14 10:32:34 (permalink)
    Sorry that had to happen to you, but glad everyone is okay!

As for the fly rod situation, seems a 5 wt would be just thing, and leave all your bases covered. I use a 9 foot 8 weight for steelhead, which is a Cabela's Three Forks/ Prestige combo, that I got out the door, rod, reel, and line, for $90. Have also gotten into using it for pike and saltwater. 

For other applications, I use an 8'6 5 wt, and this is mostly for trout and smallmouth. The rod is a Cortland, and cost less than $100, I have been using it for a very long time with no issues. It can even double as a "back-up" steelhead rod, although 5 wts are a bit underpowered for that. Has enough reach, yet can squeeze into the tighter spaces.

Hope this helps. 

Check out my YouTube fishing channel, new videos every week: https://www.youtube.com/user/Pasc9
    jah1317
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 165
    Re: New flyrod weight thoughts 2014/07/21 10:24:28 (permalink)
    Thanks Fishin, I was able to use an existing reel that was sealed up tight in one of my travel tubes (but on a rod that i never liked) and put it on a 5 wt Reddington Path.  Have cast it in the yard so far, have not gotten it wet yet however, i have a gold beaded woolybugger tied on and ready to go. No trouble finding the location (living within 150 yds of a beautiful stretch of French creek with direct access) as always it is simply finding the time! Thank you again!

Regards,

Jacob 
    thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 933
    Re: New flyrod weight thoughts 2014/07/21 12:37:01 (permalink)
    I bought a reddington path 5 wt this year when my sage 4wt was sent back after i broke it i really like that rod almost better then my sage i had a 5wt crosswater and i caught 100s of steel on it and pike light but did the job

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
    Jump to: