Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Deerslayir
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 175
  • Reward points: 0
2008/01/20 15:35:15 (permalink)

EPSFA Brown Trout Program and New Memberships

Recently the President of EPSFA (Capt.Pete Alex) has met with Bob Hetz of the 3-C-U Trout organization on the effort of them raising 25,000 Brown trout to be stocked into our local streams. There is many benefits to having a Brown Trout program again. They stay in our water, they dont roam into Canadian waters,NY,Ohio they are alot less ranging then steelhead. Everyone always talks about how much they remember that one brown trout they caught last season  and not the 50  caught steelhead. Steelhead are a great sport fish, we however feel the Brown Trout would compliment steelhead well. Browns also live longer,taste better,and way less likely to end up in Canadian nets. We currently have a 3 year agreement with the 3-C-U for browns of 25,000 per year and another organization has also said they would be will to help raise 13,000 more to help revive the brown trout program in Lake Erie. The turn around on these efforts is going to take two years and has started immediately. Pete has also been in contact with Mr.Chuck Murray who is (chief biologist for the PA Fish and Boat Commission)  Mr Murray already stated that they were already discussing bringing more brown trout into the stocking,all this did wash increase the the possibility of the Fish Commission of stocking more browns in the future. The fish commission stocks 1 million smolts anually in our tributaries and P.I.Bay. By no means do we want to see no steelhead stocked but more browns in exchange for less steelhead,results could be fantastic. We will be having a meeting on this Feb.20th at Damons Sports Bar on Peach street at 630 PM. Anyone interested in attending is more then welcome,in fact it would be a pleasure to see support to the Brown trout and those who might not know what the EPSFA is trying to accomplish. The membership fee for our Association is only $10. The money is going to a good cause, and we have two tournaments a year. One on June 28th 2008 which is called the Walleye Challenge and Pro-Am Walleye and Steelhead Tournament which will be held August 2nd and 3rd 2008. All extra money from the Pro-Am tournament will be used for funding the 3-C-U Brown trout program, we need to get more members and organizations on board for as much support as possible. A membership to the EPSFA gets you very accurate fishing reports from local charter captains who fish everyday. Which I know for a fact would save alot of people $$$ in gas searching for fish. There is alot of other stuff the EPSFA is doing if you have interest in reading we have a very informative website. www.epsfa.com . You can print off a membership form right off the website. We need more support and hope to see you at our next meeting Feb 20th 2008 at Damons Sports Bar

45 Replies Related Threads

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: EPSFA Brown Trout Program and New Memberships 2008/01/20 17:33:37 (permalink)
    Id love to see it half/half... 500,000 each. I would come to erie twice as much to fish for lake run browns.
    justinl8688
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: EPSFA Brown Trout Program and New Memberships 2008/01/20 20:22:29 (permalink)
    Brown trout!!! Yes Finally!

2005 Triton TR21X
    225 Mercury Optimax

roehoe
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: EPSFA Brown Trout Program and New Memberships 2008/01/20 20:35:09 (permalink)
    Sounds like a good & intresting thing to me

"I Fish Because,I Am
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: EPSFA Brown Trout Program and New Memberships 2008/01/20 21:51:33 (permalink)
    I've said this for years, a little variety is great. Get a nice male brownie in spawing colors, thats awesome. A good male steelie in full color looks great also. But more browns would be great, I've only caught two since 2000, it would be a nice addition to  see.
    post edited by JEB - 2008/01/20 21:52:48
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6343
    RE: EPSFA Brown Trout Program and New Memberships 2008/01/21 01:20:33 (permalink)
    9 out of ten Walleye and burbot lurking in the lake agree.  Brown trout do taste better!

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    centerpin_drift
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: EPSFA Brown Trout Program and New Memberships 2008/01/21 01:24:26 (permalink)
    That is totally awesome! BIG BROWNS, In Erie Tribs omg  that's wonderful news, I would like to sing up to be a member even though i don't live close but to be able too help out the fishery great. And be nice even if everyone that went to a bait store if they had a box on the counter too donate a dollar to go to the program, be awesome to help the cause ( MORE BIG BROWNS )  About time where doing something.  Thank you guy's     

Centerpin_drift!

Get the Drift !!!!!
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: EPSFA Brown Trout Program and New Memberships 2008/01/21 07:29:43 (permalink)
    I would love to see the variety.  The big browns are great fish. 

pax vobiscum +
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: EPSFA Brown Trout Program and New Memberships 2008/01/21 09:22:59 (permalink)
    Good idea... i would welcome the chance of browns...

BUT...

ORIGINAL: Deerslayir

... Everyone always talks about how much they remember that one brown trout they caught last season  and not the 50  caught steelhead...

if this is justification for stocking a large number of browns...
    probably one of the more dumber comments I have read in a while...
    if you stock 50/50 or 30/70... whatever, you are not going to remember that one brown... because they will be as common as steelhead...
    the reason you remeber the one brown a year, is because they are rare...

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: EPSFA Brown Trout Program and New Memberships 2008/01/21 09:36:03 (permalink)
    I think the numbers being talked about are right around perfect. A great enhancement of the fishery, that will make catching a Brown relatively common, yet not mundane.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Youghman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 310
    RE: EPSFA Brown Trout Program and New Memberships 2008/01/21 09:57:55 (permalink)
    Great idea and a good start to get more browns in the tribs. I'm filling out my membership today.
    Now is the time for all those who have posted their wish for more browns to pony up and back this effort w/ some financial support. Hopefully, the results of this effort will prove successful in a few years.
    If we don't try, we'll never know.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: EPSFA Brown Trout Program and New Memberships 2008/01/21 10:07:21 (permalink)
    The EPSFA is spearheading this effort, and support for them is definately warranted. Keep in mind that 3CU, and the WCC will be doing the actual raising of these fish, and also need your support.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: EPSFA Brown Trout Program and New Memberships 2008/01/21 11:00:46 (permalink)
    Just a quick question.  When would the stocking take place?  What I am asking is, would they be stocked during the spring trout season, or later in the spring or early summer, etc...? Also, how big would the stockies be?  The reason for asking is if the fish are legal stockie size and are released in the streams during the traditional "trout season", it would seem to me they may end up on a stringer?  I am not a fish biologist, but it might be a good idea to release them late in the season, say late April or May near the mouths of the streams so they have a chance to get to the lake. 

pax vobiscum +
    wccprez
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: EPSFA Brown Trout Program and New Memberships 2008/01/21 11:31:45 (permalink)
    the wcc plains are to stocked in early spring late march the browns will be about  eight inchs long and put in the eastside creeks
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: EPSFA Brown Trout Program and New Memberships 2008/01/21 11:58:43 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info.

pax vobiscum +
    loaftech
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 269
    RE: EPSFA Brown Trout Program and New Memberships 2008/01/21 12:50:24 (permalink)
    big browns are NASTY I LOVE UM!!!
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: EPSFA Brown Trout Program and New Memberships 2008/01/21 13:05:48 (permalink)
    Great job....

One question though. Why would they be stocked on the east side?

With such small, limited water, wouldn't it be better to stock them in the larger creeks?

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    brown trout
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: EPSFA Brown Trout Program and New Memberships 2008/01/21 14:10:20 (permalink)
    This is an excellent oppurtunity, I hope it works out. Nothing beats a big brown, and this will be just enough that you have a reasonable chance at catching them, but yet it won't be as ho-hum as the steelhead. Cool deal.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: EPSFA Brown Trout Program and New Memberships 2008/01/21 16:11:47 (permalink)
    Mike,

The WCC is a local, eastside club that has been stocking eastside streams not stocked by the PF&BC, mostly for youth angling. They are stocking THEIR fish on the east side.

3CU will be spreading their fish out, but will probabley lean heavily toward the west side. Bob is at most PSA meetings, a good opportunity to get the scoop from the guy in charge. 

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    RE: EPSFA Brown Trout Program and New Memberships 2008/01/21 16:38:02 (permalink)
    Gotcha...Thanks Spoon!

Buckets Charter
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 97
    RE: EPSFA Brown Trout Program and New Memberships 2008/01/21 17:11:00 (permalink)
    Just a thought everyone. With the already overcrowded stream access issues   Is there room for another influx of anglers to the streams? I think it is a great idea but this crossed my mind any input would be great
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    RE: EPSFA Brown Trout Program and New Memberships 2008/01/21 17:38:57 (permalink)
    God I hope not...

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: EPSFA Brown Trout Program and New Memberships 2008/01/21 18:40:19 (permalink)
    Dan,

It's a good point. Especially since the "novelty" of Steelhead seems to be wearing off, and pressure is leveling off, if not declining slightly.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    Buckets Charter
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 97
    RE: EPSFA Brown Trout Program and New Memberships 2008/01/21 19:08:02 (permalink)
    Hey Spoon just a thought make a world class brown trout fishery along with the steelhead fishery Great idea but Can the access support the crowds Get your license we might need another boat.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: EPSFA Brown Trout Program and New Memberships 2008/01/21 19:11:05 (permalink)
    Kenny is a "piker" at breaking stuff compared to me. I don't know if you could afford both of us.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    Deerslayir
    Avid Angler
    RE: EPSFA Brown Trout Program and New Memberships 2008/01/21 19:33:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mikeg

Great job....

One question though. Why would they be stocked on the east side?

With such small, limited water, wouldn't it be better to stock them in the larger creeks?

It is my understanding the east side has more habitat the brown trout look for.The deeper water,and the structure of the mountain. I also heard that the fish commission was doing a lake trout net sampling and collected 17 brown trout and that out numbered the lake trout that were caught in these samplings. Which helped illustrate our point Browns will do well in Lake Erie and have continued to show up despite little stocking efforts. The only real stocking efforts the Fish Comission does is really a put take fishery stocking of Browns of 17,000 to 50,000 fish anually. The east side also gets less fishing pressure which might help the overall success of this project.
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    RE: EPSFA Brown Trout Program and New Memberships 2008/01/21 19:39:07 (permalink)
    I understand, but "less fishing pressure" is a good thing. Add large browns to the mix and I'll be saying that about Elk.

Regardless, I'll support this by becoming a member, but I think it's going to lead to a larger problem on a smaller area.

Deerslayir
    Avid Angler
    RE: EPSFA Brown Trout Program and New Memberships 2008/01/21 19:49:06 (permalink)
    Mike thats a very good point and I will be taking this whole discussion to the meeting Feb 20th. I am not certain on every single detail but the more info I get I will gladly pass it on from here. We are glad to have new members supporting this so project so well. We are hoping other organizations come aboard and make this even stronger
    post edited by Deerslayir - 2008/01/21 20:04:55
    wccprez
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: EPSFA Brown Trout Program and New Memberships 2008/01/21 21:01:00 (permalink)
    To Spoonchucker's comment about the WCC and raising brown trout - The Wesleyville Conservation Clubs runs a Co-op Nursery on the Eastside for the last 30 years.    We run the Four Mile Youth Project for nearly 20 years.  We stock fish in Seven Mile for the Harborcreek Youth Services Fishing Derby, NE Get Hooked on Fishing, Not Drugs Project and the Big Brothers and Big Sisters Fishing outing.  The WCC has been doing this for years - we rely on members and donations.   We also stock Twelve Mile with 1000 extra steelhead and 1000 browns.     The WCC has had the vision to stock browns for years -- the EPFSA is not spearheading our project.  We are doing this on our own -- The WCC is always looking for donations and help.  The Wesleyville Conservation Club was started in 1946 - we are a small club with big ideas.   We are always looking for help, esp in the spring and fall to clean the raceways, help stock the fish.   If you know of a youth club or anyone who would like to help this great effort -- email dombrowiak6@aol.com.      The WCC also adopted Twelve Mile with the PFBC, and we are the main club who pushed for restoring Four Mile Creek.  With SeaGrant and PLEWA and PFBC we are working on the Fish Ladder program.   If this program works out, we will look at other streams -  Twelve Mile.
    Always looking for help!   Thank you.  
    Grendel
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1675
    RE: EPSFA Brown Trout Program and New Memberships 2008/01/21 21:07:32 (permalink)
    Hey WCC Prez,

I really applaud your efforst is getting things done.  You do not have nearly the membership numbers others clubs have, and a much lower operating budget!   What is your secret?  Still giving out hats and shirts for joining?

Keep up the good work!

Give my best to the family.

Doc

PS ~ Gonna' go see Rush this time around?   Let me know -  will be getting great seats again.
    post edited by Grendel - 2008/01/21 21:10:59

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Not a fan of Burgh teams. Get over it...
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: