Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
JEB
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2248
  • Reward points: 0
2008/01/18 15:29:40 (permalink)

Why ?

I know that the money from the Erie stamp is going to a good cause. But if I buy my license and combo stamp it cost $37. I can fish Ohio or NY as a non resident for $40 a year. Seems a little odd. Any thoughts why were are so high.

55 Replies Related Threads

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Why ? 2008/01/18 15:32:33 (permalink)
    Jeb

I don't consider it too much money at all.....  Wife and Iwent out to dinner last night and I spent more then that  ....

Actually its cheap if you figure the amount of time you get to use it.........

hivue05
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 87
    RE: Why ? 2008/01/18 15:40:28 (permalink)
     $37 divided by 365 days, sounds like a fair deal.
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: Why ? 2008/01/18 16:12:05 (permalink)
    I usually do not defend the F&B but they provide us fisherman with many different species of fish to pursue . Trout , walleye , striped bass , musky they stock many of these species and numbers are great considering the huge amount of pressure on each species from millions of anglers . Well worth it . I fish around 200 days a year so it costs me about .20 a day or .03 an hour . A fat head minnow costs about .10 each do the math . What a great place to love to fish.....
    centerpin_drift
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: Why ? 2008/01/18 17:12:04 (permalink)
    Tell me where you can honestly fish 365 days out of the year for $ 37 dollars NO WHERE ! See to sum people who fish alot it's worth every penny to them, but for the first day anglers are the only ones that complain about it why is it. I love the guy's that go buy all the fishing crap they can stuff in the vest new boots,rod,reels,etc, and fish one or two days and don't fish the rest of the year.....i hear it ever year first day of trout season the guys on the banks ready for the moment, to arrive saying there isn't any trout left after the first day the first day is the best but you can still catch a few here and there but there pretty much cleaned out!!!!!!!! LOL lmfao  give me a break! I find it better after the first couple weeks after pretty much everyone is gone! except the die hards. Sum of the best fishing i have done on the 3wt.  Gotta love it having the whole creek pretty much to yourself, hearing the gobblers on the hillsides in the morning gobbling,,,,,man get's the blood rushing catching that trout....gotta love it.

Centerpin_Drift!
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: Why ? 2008/01/18 20:15:39 (permalink)
    I've gotten my 2008 money's worth already.The rest of the year is just a bonus.
    FlashDance
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: Why ? 2008/01/18 20:52:23 (permalink)
    Variety of artificial fishing oppurtunities.

View the price of the other out of state oppurtunities as a bargain.

post edited by FlashDance - 2008/01/18 20:53:36
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Why ? 2008/01/18 21:03:52 (permalink)
    1: The number of programs, and fishing opportunities
    2: The amount of water Pa. is second only to Alaska in stream mileage, I believe
    3: The PF&BC does not recieve funding from general fund revenues. Most i not all other states do.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    go-n-fishn
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 225
    RE: Why ? 2008/01/19 10:06:29 (permalink)
    There ya go JEB, now you know!!!

There will be days when fishing is better than ones optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.
    **Roderick Haig-Brown
    PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: Why ? 2008/01/19 10:22:46 (permalink)
    Some people see cost, others see value.

Fishtamer
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Why ? 2008/01/19 11:53:41 (permalink)
    THe cost of the license isn't bad. What gets me is the replacement cost, if lost. It costs $4.25(agent fee) & the cost of stamps is an additional $15 for the combo. In the past, I guess it was justifiable because someone could give the stamp to another fisherman to use. Now, it is printed on the back of the new licenses & is no longer a stamp. Why should we have to pay an extra $15 to have a little extra ink printed on the license. The new system is computerized & the Fish Comm. knows what "stamps" you originally purchased. I can understand the $4.25 fee for the agent to re-issue your license, but the cost of stamps not being included is highway robbery.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Why ? 2008/01/19 12:15:22 (permalink)
    Tamer,

You pose a valid question. The PF&BC can not change the license fee structure without legislative approval. I don't know if they have asked, or intend to ask for it in this regard. I'll ask around though.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Why ? 2008/01/19 12:52:17 (permalink)
    that's why you buy online and print extras.
    tire-iron
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Why ? 2008/01/19 16:26:38 (permalink)
    42m pays a lot of over priced pensions.  They do put a few fish in for 1/4 the cost.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Why ? 2008/01/19 19:27:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tire-iron

42m pays a lot of over priced pensions.  They do put a few fish in for 1/4 the cost.

State benefits are rediculas. Nothing like having a "pension" when you make just as much money as someone who worked for a college degree. You ride around all day stocking fish, growing fish...or better yet, you join your 4 buddies and watch one guy dig a hole. Dont get me started.
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Why ? 2008/01/19 19:33:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RIZ

that's why you buy online and print extras.

We have a Bingo !!

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    RE: Why ? 2008/01/19 19:44:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jlh42581

ORIGINAL: tire-iron

State benefits are rediculas. Nothing like having a "pension" when you make just as much money as someone who worked for a college degree. You ride around all day stocking fish, growing fish...or better yet, you join your 4 buddies and watch one guy dig a hole. Dont get me started.

You obviously don't know squat.. the State pays crap... the only reason anyone works as a civil servant is for a measly state pension and health benefits that to this day continue to be diminished.

I worked as a Park Ranger while going to college and made $18,000.00 a year and NO health benefits, but the hours were good...every weekend and every holiday.

So instead of shooting your mouth off about something you have no clue about, do some research.

I guess if you live in Raccoon Creek Pa. 18,000.00 is OK, but not anywhere else in Pa.

Oh, and tell me...How are the State benifits rediculas??? or did you mean ridiculous

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Why ? 2008/01/19 22:51:51 (permalink)
    Tippy, you can bark all you want but when I see 8 guys doing the job of one guy, they shouldnt get a paycheck at all. So you can get mad about my comment all you want. Yeah yeah, state pay isnt great. But Ill tell you what... hand me $32,000 a year to be a fish culturist and give me a pension and you wont hear any complaining. If I could raise fish and get paid for it all the while doing very little you bet I would do it. As for my english... sorry, didnt major in that one.

Better yet, take over my business. Develop websites day in and day out, make decent money and watch the govt take 30%. Have absolutely 0 for a pension and no medical insurance.
    post edited by jlh42581 - 2008/01/19 22:53:20
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Why ? 2008/01/19 22:57:11 (permalink)
    I worked as a Park Ranger while going to college and made $18,000.00 a year and NO health benefits, but the hours were good...every weekend and every holiday.

So lets get this strait... you made $18,000 a year while in college working every weekend and every holiday. Id say you did pretty well.
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    RE: Why ? 2008/01/19 22:59:03 (permalink)
    The yearly fee is no problem for an avid fisherman.  I have a problem with the cost of a one or three day license.  It all adds up to 20.00 no matter how you do it if you factor in stamps and all the nonsense.  And you cant get one in April or some crap like that so they can get all the people who just go the first week.  The only reason I have a problem with it is I like to take family and friends fishing who only go but a few times a year.  The cost to fish 1-3 days shouldnt be more than half of what it costs for the year.  They gouge everyone they can.  We are losing anglers and as much as some people think that benifits them...it doesnt.  In the long run its less money, less fish, less everything for the avid fisherman.  So most wont bother at all to fish for just a few days unless someone they know is taking them.  And the military rate does not make sense.  You can only get it if you are a reservist stationed away from home and you are in PA.  So my brother who's a captain and runs a freaking ship over in the hell hole in the mideast wants to come back and catch a few steal and has to pay 20 something for a day of fishing when you add in the stamps?  Doesnt add up.  Should be active duty military anywhere, anytime, dont pay a dime or pay just a few dollars.  The least we can do for these guys.  Way to support the troops PFBC.  Bottom line is there would be much more revenue on all types of licenses with lower temporary permits.  Shoot up the yearly to $50, us guys who fish a ton dont mind it.  People compare fishing to everything else in the world and that you can go to a movie or other things for just as much.  What we forget is for most people on this planet fishing is not necessarily worth the cost of the license.  Especially when you factor in equipment and tackle.  Again not a problem for the majority of guys, but for newbies not hooked  yet this can be a deterrant.  And they want to slap on a junior license fee.  The fees just dont fall in line with eachother.  The yearly I have no problem with however. 
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Why ? 2008/01/19 23:03:32 (permalink)
    The thing is, its impossible to do something like a 10 day pass where you pick 10 days to fish. Whos gonna regulate something like that? You have to go to a punch station every day you wanna fish. Hell id pay $100, I really dont care, its worth it to me.
    Happy Guy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: Why ? 2008/01/20 00:14:28 (permalink)
    I don't know the first thing about state/government jobs.  In fact I don't even know anyone with a state job but DO NOT insult or question someone's lively hood.  Complain all you want about fishing but never ever question a man's hard work.  I find your comments down right ignorant and offensive.  I think you owe a lot of great people an apology! 

Faith, Family, Friends, Fishing! The only F'ing way to live!
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: Why ? 2008/01/20 00:42:17 (permalink)
    $18,000 is basicly poverty level. That's only $1500 a month. That might be OK if you are retired and live alone in low income housing and on medicare.

$32,000 is just barely making it if you're married and have a kid or two, a car, various insurances, utilities, food, rent/mortgage, etc.  

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Why ? 2008/01/20 01:34:59 (permalink)
    I will pay whatever the state alots me to pay no matter what, simply because I love to fish and I consider myself a law abiding citizen.  However, I also buy a NY, OH, Ont and other licenses according to where I may fish.  There seems to be something wrong with the fact that I pay the same amount for out of state licenses as I do for fishing in my home state.  When I look at all the fees added up, I ask WHY too!  Ask yourself, do OH and NY residents pay as much as we do?  Do they have any less fishing oppotunities as we do?  Do those states charge their residents additional fees to fish Erie?  Have our launches and facilities been much improved over the years?  If you haven't seen some of the facilities in these other states, you need to witness it for yourself to make the comparisons for yourself.  I feel the differences are overwhelming, but we pay more.  Where is all the extra money that PA charges go?  Back into the fishery?  Some does, but not most IMO.  I agree that the steelhead and trout fishery are pretty good here, but why not apply some more of that money into walleye, bass, muskie, striper and other game fish that I feel could use improvement.  I'm willing to pay, but because I'm willing to pay and I do pay, I'm also willing to raise questions of why we don't see more moneys going into a more variety of species and why more monies aren't going into launch improvements and adding more access to the big pong.  Especially if our state is generating all of this additional revenue.  Lets face it, a lot of this hard earned money is going in places other than back into our fishery!! 
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/01/20 01:40:23

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Why ? 2008/01/20 08:47:50 (permalink)
    I dont owe anyone an apology. I work just as hard as the next guy and I dont see anyone putting a dime into my future of quitting working. Yeah, $32,000 isnt a whole lot but your income is based more on desire then work. Someone CHOSE to settle for a job making that kind of money. Which is why I said give me the job and I would do it. You better believe it would be a drop in income for me but the savior of my sanity is worth more then any amount of money. To wake up every moring and do an activity that helps a sport I cherish most...I am willing to take a loss! Theres plenty of education out there and regardless of who you are and your financial status you CAN get the loans to go to school as long as you want. Its a choice! My commments come from years of watching one guy do the work while 6 or 8 other guys stand around laughing. Our state spends billions of dollars a year. Taxes continue to rise on everything. I think we can make some cuts here and the common man could see more of his own paycheck. Yes, some people who work for the state earn it. But if youve never seen the sitatuations that I am talking about open your eyes! I see it every time theres road work to be done.
    post edited by jlh42581 - 2008/01/20 08:50:29
    peacymike
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 540
    RE: Why ? 2008/01/20 08:55:35 (permalink)
    down my way the guys are after me to give them fish. for years i gave . so one day this one guy ask to give him all the fish i catch ;because i don't keep them well i said you buy my license for next year i give you all the fish he said no you have all the fun fishing. then i said hay what you want for 37 bucks you get over 200 fish witch are trout and steelheads  and if you go buy them see what they cost 3.95 a pound ;get real things are not cheap anymore. you pay to play [dream on]
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8505
    RE: Why ? 2008/01/20 09:08:12 (permalink)
    Wally Cat, welcome to my world!
    One good trip is worth the money to me, what hurts is the gas to get there.
    Fewer trips, so I try to make the most of it.
    Should be allowed to take a write off on the taxes,lol.

elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Why ? 2008/01/20 10:01:23 (permalink)
    Jobaker - Well put.  All points good, especially about our service people. They should get a free ride period !!!  I don't know why some people complain about the cost of a fishing liscense, it's the best buy on the planet. When one spends $ 150 for a reel, another $100 & up for a rod, waders $80 & up and on and on and on, what's $ 37 once a year ? Would be nice if there was an" adopt a service person on leave " program to take them fishing when they're home on leave. Now that would be something I'd get involved in for sure. Whenever I see someone in uniform I try to go out of my way to tell them thanks and be careful. Now some of you that don't know me might say, OK big talker, why don't you start a program like that. If I had the time and the knowhow to get it off the ground, I would. Maybe in a year when I retire I might just do that. So, next time you go to dinner, movie, or anyplace else check your pockets, I'm sure you're more than $37 lighter after.  Dave
    Grendel
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1675
    RE: Why ? 2008/01/20 10:34:20 (permalink)
     "My commments come from years of watching one guy do the work while 6 or 8 other guys stand around laughing. "

Sounds like the last PSA Banquet.  Everyone wanting this and that, but nobody willing to help out.  Similarly, everyone wanting everything but not willing to pay for it.  People really leave me scratching my head.  Finally, when work needs to get done, many are quick to volunteer the services of others.  Slinkies for sure....

Doc
    post edited by Grendel - 2008/01/20 15:11:40

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Not a fan of Burgh teams. Get over it...
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    RE: Why ? 2008/01/20 11:46:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jlh42581

So lets get this strait... you made $18,000 a year while in college working every weekend and every holiday. Id say you did pretty well.

No, not just weekends and holidays, I worked full time including weekends and holidays and went to school at night for 8 years.

I'm not saying it's all that bad but when I hear someone say; the benefits are GREAT and the pay is GREAT and they DO nothing for it, I feel the need to set the record straight..

I'm not saying everyone that works for the state is a model employee, but there are allot of dedicated people who do a tough job with little respect or pay..

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: