Boat deck

Author
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9659
  • Reward points: 0
2014/02/06 14:21:42 (permalink)

Boat deck

I'm getting supplies ready to lay down the new floor in the SS Fartknocker #2 - 17' side console.  I'm looking at exterior grade Douglas fir AB or AC or MDO, from my research on this site and many others.  If going to seal the wood, I can't see what the difference would be in marine vs. exterior fir or MDO.  If marine was ready to lay without treating, I'd be all for the extra cost.  Reading through hundreds of forum messages, ect. I am still a little unsure of a few things.

If I am covering with epoxy, would I still want 3/4" or would 5/8" be good?

Would the US Composites Thin Epoxy (medium) work, or do I need to buck up and buy the West System or other marine specific?  Should I do the fast hardener if planning to apply in Spring time (day temps 50s, evening temps upper 30s/40s)?
http://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html

I have also read some that say a good wood preservative sealant is better than epoxy?  Being that the epoxy could crack over time, letting in moisture, and little area for it to escape.

I'm planning to use Nautolex marine vinyl.  Do I need to use the Nautolex adhesive or would a good heavy duty outdoor carpet adhesive work?  I have heard good things about HENRY 263 WeatherPro, and made locally, which would be an added bonus.

Obviously, you can see the trend that I'd like to save a few bucks, but still have a long lasting product.  I don't mind spending a bit more, since I do plan on keeping this boat for a while.  That said, I'd much rather spend $500 on this project than $900...

7 Replies Related Threads

TheBlueLagoon
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 802
    Re: Boat deck 2014/02/06 14:40:27 (permalink)
    Tim,
    a lot of friendly guys over at tinboat.net as well to help with questions on your project. Wouldn't hurt to post over there as well. Good luck!

Got Walleye???
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Boat deck 2014/02/06 15:59:41 (permalink)
    Ha, ha.  The more that I read there and iboats, the more that I think carpet might be a better choice...  I haven't posted on either yet, but where much of my reading has been.  I do know that working on this thing in 10 degree weather sucks.  I guess it is better than 50 degree weather, when I should be chasing fish.  Part of why I bought the other boat.  Don't want to be down a vessle when the ice melts.  I'm planning on fishing somewhere as soon as I hear ice is off!  

CRAPPIE_SLAYER
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1156
    Re: Boat deck 2014/02/06 19:26:14 (permalink)
    +1 on the tinboats sight.  Lots of knowledge to be had there.

I was of the same opinion when I saw the price of marine grade plywood when I redid my rig.  Being my somewhat cheap self, I went with the exterior grade 3/4" plywood with a good coat of waterseal on it (make sure to hit all those edges). 3 seasons on the boat, and all of the wood in it looks as good as the day I put it in. 
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4009
    Re: Boat deck 2014/02/07 13:52:24 (permalink)
    Porktown
    Ha, ha.  The more that I read there and iboats, the more that I think carpet might be a better choice...  I haven't posted on either yet, but where much of my reading has been.  I do know that working on this thing in 10 degree weather sucks.  I guess it is better than 50 degree weather, when I should be chasing fish.  Part of why I bought the other boat.  Don't want to be down a vessle when the ice melts.  I'm planning on fishing somewhere as soon as I hear ice is off!  

If you don't mind the look, why not use the wood you want but coat it with a light colored/white bedliner material and skip the vinyl and carpet.  It should remain flexible and still seal it, as long as you coat the edges well.  You can practice with it and make the finish as rough or smooth as you want it. 
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Boat deck 2014/02/07 14:28:58 (permalink)
    How do you hide the seems with the bedliner?  Will the fiberglass cloth work with it?
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4009
    Re: Boat deck 2014/02/07 16:22:36 (permalink)
    If it were me, I'd fill the seams with Marinetex or something similar, sand it smooth when it was cured, then cover with the bedliner material.  Make sure you reinforce the seams with structure underneath so it doesn't flex but if done right, you'll never see the seams when you are done.

I think that bedliner material will stick to just about anything as long as you prep the surface right.  

My brother painted the inside bottom of a 14' bluefin with one of the kit bedliners and it worked out well.  Stopped the few leaky rivets that were there and it is non-slip.  Only problem, he chose black and while it hides dirt, you don't really want to fish in that boat on a sunny day that is over 75 degrees! 
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    Re: Boat deck 2014/03/26 12:16:38 (permalink)
    When I did my tin can, I went to a specialty lumber yard and the man explained to me that Full Exterior and Marine Grade are the exact same wood, glue, process etc. The only difference is that marine grade was not aloud to have any voids. If it did, they would sell as full exterior. The price difference was unbelievable. I glassed the boards, set, epoxy sealed the seams, scuffed with 320 grit and used UPOL raptorliner (The kit comes with a gun to make it easier and a better finish). Roll on bedliners don't seem to have the same durability and consistancy. Raptorliner is also tintable, therefore you can get the liner in any color~even white (or pink if your into that)

Jump to: