How much is bologne?

Author
Pgh Kid
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 88
  • Reward points: 0
2008/01/17 17:42:34 (permalink)

How much is bologne?

I read on the fishing reports that everyone is landing 20+ fish with another 40 hits every time they go to Elk Creek. This is incredible being I feel lucky to land 4 or 5 steel heads on a trip.

I figure it takes 5 minutes in the ave. to land them and another few to release them. How can anyone possibly land this many fish?

13 Replies Related Threads

mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: How much is bologne? 2008/01/17 18:10:08 (permalink)
    By the looks of your screen name, I'm assuming you're a younger angler!

So I will offer you a little wisdom.....

Believe nothing you read, and only believe half of what you see when it comes to steelhead fishing in PA!  lol

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: How much is bologne? 2008/01/17 18:20:10 (permalink)
    My best guess is that some of the guys are realy dialed in on what the fish hit and when. I've seen a good friend of mine nailing fish in holes that every one else was getting skunked at because he knew what was being taken and could get it to them. Heck, he gave me the pattern right off of his tippet, and I still got skunked, and he still got them.

I think that knowing the water you are in is important too. As I've gotten out and gotten to know a stream I fish a little better, the days on it have gotten better. Quite a few of the guys on here seem to know the tribs and their home waters realy well.

krott243
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    RE: How much is bologne? 2008/01/17 18:21:34 (permalink)
    There are plenty of guys who can consistently land that many fish more often than not, there are also a lot of guys who say they can and cannot.  I think a lot of people count hook ups into the fish "catching" ratio. 

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: How much is bologne? 2008/01/17 18:49:01 (permalink)
    I prefer to say "landing" as opposed to catching. Just my way of counting when I have the time. Once you get to double digits, who cares??? You've had a good day.    Dave
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: How much is bologne? 2008/01/17 19:07:55 (permalink)
    dave, i agree with you. i rarely will remember how many i catch over about 8. i guess i'm not there to see how many i catch cause once i catch a few on one pattern i tie on another just to see if they're hitting on something else or move up or down stream. i also wonder how many fishermen are counting foul hook-ups as catches? it's nice to see the guys who know how to catch'm when most of us aren't. it does take a little more knowledge in those accounts. ~dt
    post edited by doubletaper - 2008/01/17 19:09:51

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: How much is bologne? 2008/01/17 21:50:50 (permalink)
    As far as the original question "how much is bologne?"  That's tough to say, I'm sure some is, I'm also know that some isn't.

It's a tough question to answer on here without having someone whine at you thinking you are bragging.

I can tell you there was a time that I also thought it was great just to catch a half dozen in a day, and I enjoyed it much more/appreciated each fish much more than now. I still like to catch them, but it was more fun figuring them out when I couldn't, than it is to just walk down and beat on them all day. That's still fun, but it's not the same as those first few years when every fish was a rush.  Today I moved from the first hole I was fishing after 30 minutes because I only caught two and lost 3 others.  There were slow periods throughout the day where I was trying to figure them out, but there were also 4 or 5 places I stopped and caught 5 to 10 fish in less than 30 minutes.

It should not take you 5 minutes to land these fish, maybe, maybe when the water is warmer in the fall, but right now 2 minutes is a long fight.
    post edited by Stillhead - 2008/01/17 21:52:46
    muskiemeat
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 146
    RE: How much is bologne? 2008/01/17 23:27:38 (permalink)
    everyone will agree with me the way to calculate  how many fish you catch is really basic math... u take how many you land, multiply that by how many you foul, take that number times Pi. and add  another 30-40 to be conservative. As for "hook ups" and double to triple the number of "Landed fish"

u spelled bologna wrong... its spelled B-U-L-L-*_*_*_*

aside from that i did land alot today

Fish to live...live to fish

One Burbot, One Scotch, One Beerg
    71gto
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: How much is bologne? 2008/01/18 06:42:23 (permalink)
    Well, it is about $3.19 a pound down here.

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!
    nut
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: How much is bologne? 2008/01/18 06:56:29 (permalink)
    $3.19 a pound for bull^@*!, i know a farmer who is giving it away. good stuff too. no fillers.

the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

www.theonshorefisherman.bravehost.com
    steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: How much is bologne? 2008/01/29 20:48:11 (permalink)
    I would guess halfs bologne an halfs probably true. I know one thing thats bullchit and thats if someone says by this outfit (ex.centerpin outfit) and you'll catch more fish. It's the guy behind the outfit, not the outfit that catches the fish.
    swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: How much is bologne? 2008/01/30 07:48:12 (permalink)
    A 5 minute average is very high in landing these fish. The more you hook the more you learn. The more you learn the more deadly you are. When I first started I thought the double digit hookups were a joke. To be honest with you I was the joke. It was frustrating at first but I took my lumps and learned on all of my outings. The most important thing is to learn a good presentation. Once you get that down it is easy pickings. Work on the amount of shot used and also the placement of the shot. Adjust the depth of your indicator. Keep playing around untill you get in the zone. Keep a log of your outings and write down what the conditions were and how you fished throughout the day. Study your notes. Read every book, article, and website out there on steelhead fishing. Keep notes. Study other anglers and dont just copy what they are doing. Figure out why what they are doing is so correct. I could take you out and rig you up and you could hook an easy double digit. Sure you had fun but if you dont learn why you hooked so many whats going to happen the next time when you dont have a crutch to lean on? Talk to other anglers about fishing. Some may snub you sure, but who cares? F-Them and move on. If you talk to others like a human and not an A-Hole you should get a positive response. You can even learn from the people who know nothing. Learn, learn, learn. All of a sudden it just clicks, you gain confidence and realize that these fish are stupid and with the amount of steelhead PA stocks it's a joke. But for most before they realize its a joke they think that they are some sort of Ace. They come on the boards and talk about how good they are because they hooked x amount of fish. Nobody really cares on how many. If you are going to post your mug on the screen dont show a picture holding a fish up in your front yard or hanging from a stringer, it doesnt make a nice picture. I dont care if you keep fish or not I just want to see a good picture. I want to see the joy in the eyes of somebody accomplishing thier goal. I believe I rambled enough.
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: How much is bologne? 2008/01/30 18:15:13 (permalink)

Learn the water and you will hook fish!

SteelyShawn
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: How much is bologne? 2008/01/31 09:06:27 (permalink)
    I see everyone's points and ideas of what the fishing experience should be! I fished with a group of guys last year that made the experience not as fun as it should have been. For example, we had an excellent day fishing. One guy counted every fish like it was a competition, the other guy at the end of the day said he had caught about thirty some. The ironic part is the one guy over exaggerates his number and the other guy foul hooked half of his fish. To me you are disrespecting the sport, the fish and most of all the experience! At the end of the day when asked how many I caught, I simply replied, "I don't know. Maybe ten or fifteen I wasn't really counting." The guy who over exaggerated says "well you either caught a lot or your just stupid." I thought to myself when people think a certain way they expect that everyone thinks in their mode. So then I recolected and gave him a pretty exact number. Which was more than I previously thought. The other guy says to to me "you caught more than that" and then I said "I don't count the ones I foul hooked because to me it's not a catch unless you deceive them into taking your fly." Both of them really didn't like my answer but it was the truth. To say the least for which I haven't, I haven't fished with those two on the Erie Tribs since.

Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway
    Jump to: