More Shops closing

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
griffon
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1104
  • Reward points: 0
RE: More Shops closing 2008/01/21 09:16:26 (permalink)
I was away from my computer for a few days, but I'm back...  My comments about being a shrewd business person as a small shop owner are spot on and a couple of you have enforced that.  How is giving someone 3 dozen extra minnows when they pay for one dozen a shrewd business move (unless the bait shop catches their own).  Most shops have to pay for their minnows and they then sell them to the consumer (theoretically for a profit).  By going in so that you can get something for nothing isn't doing the shop any good and actually leads them to going out of business (you are actually part of the problem).  As for buying minnows and bait at the big box stores, go to many areas around the country and they actually have an annex to the store which opens at 5 am.  The annex sells everything an angler would need for a day of fishing from live bait to complete lines of tackle.  Do you "small shop" patrons shop at Cabelas, Bass Pro?  What about Ebay or any other type of website?  How about Home Depot or Lowes?  What about Staples, Best Buy, Circuit City, Comp USA?  Or do you only go to the local hardware store or small town electronics store? I would bet that most of you find yourselves to be somewhat hypocritical. FYI, I am very good friends with many people (dozens) who at one time either worked in or owned a small business that went under or they moved on.  A good number of these people took their knowledge and skills and applied them to the changing world.  Now, they make more money, have more free time and enjoy their lives more than they ever did as a shop owner.      
Bughawk
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3247
RE: More Shops closing 2008/01/21 11:13:55 (permalink)
In economics as well as most things in life unless you can find a niche, you will not survive.  There is a place for the large box stores, but there is a place for the small businesses as well.  Those small shops that offer items or services not found at the large box stores will make it and be successful, those that do not will fold. 

A good example is a local sports store in my town.  The owner told me years ago that once the Walmart that was being built at the edge of town opened, he was out of business.  Well, it has been over 5 years now and Walmart is doing a good business and so is the sports store.  They have changed some and moved in a different direction, but they are still open and making money.  The key was not to try to take Walmart on directly, but to offer products Walmart does not sell.  The sports store has a custom archery shop and sells firearms, most of which you will not find on a Walmart shelf.  They will custom order items for you, set up a bow or rifle and buy and sell used guns and bows.  Again, things that Walmart does not do.

The bottom line, if I want to buy a gun or a bow, I go to the local sports store.  If I want a box of #6 bait holder hooks, I go to Walmart. 

As for the internet, I will purchase items, particularly fly tying materials over the internet, but only those that I cannot find locally. 

pax vobiscum +
PeteM
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 539
RE: More Shops closing 2008/01/21 15:48:05 (permalink)
Here's a thing that I noticed. I live within a couple of miles of the place and never heard of it. Granted, I'm new to the sport, but I've found these boards, supplies, fishing locations, and tons of other usefull info just through google.

A fatal error of business is not making the most of technology. They did no advertising localy or nationaly, no web pages, and essentialy, no one knew about them unless you happen by on rt.19 at 50 mph. It turns out that I've driven by the place about a thousand times since it opened.

The cost associated with advertisement creates a classic arguement of "can't afford to vs. can't afford not to" for most small business owners. Well, we have a good example here of what happens when you don't, and a million others that you will never even know about.

Little35
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 235
RE: More Shops closing 2008/01/21 19:36:08 (permalink)
PeteM, where is this shop located?
PeteM
Expert Angler
RE: More Shops closing 2008/01/21 19:49:47 (permalink)
See?

From what I can tell, it's on rt. 19 in McMurray.

http://yellowpages.cantonrep.com/Orchard+View+Angling.327671.86434989.home.html

KJH807
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4863
RE: More Shops closing 2008/01/22 10:41:01 (permalink)
location....

going south on rt 19
it at the light north of Donalds crossroads (at oakwood rd)
if you are going south the entance is on the right directly after the Arby's
there is a closed sunoco station
if you get to donalds crossroads you went to far...

from 79...
get off a southpoint exit
at the stop sign on morganza road- make right
go about 1.5 miles till you get to the intersection with McMurray road..
make a left
go about 3miles (you will cross over little charties creek right below cannonsburgh dam)
make a left onto rt 19
go about 1mile (past Mcdonalds)
at the acura dealership get in the left lane...
after passing through the light at oakwood road get in center lane and make a left...
there is a yellow sign with black letters that says "fly shop"

hope this helps...
MightyMidge
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: More Shops closing 2008/01/23 20:13:04 (permalink)
Hey guys, how is everyone? I own a fly shop, and have a little insight as to what is going on with smaller shops. There is a difference between perceived value vs actual value, and for some reason, many of us think that we are going to get a better deal when going with the big box stores. This isn't really the case since many fly manufacturers (Simms, Orvis, Sage, Winston,etc) as they set the prices. Simms waders cost the same everywhere. The bigger the dealer, the more money they make on each sale, ie, Cabelas might make more on a wader sale than the small guy since they buy more, but that seems fair to even me. Look in my shop, International Angler and in Bass Pro or where ever, they cost the same. Many fly manufacturers do this to level the playing field so that the smaller shops stay around.

They want the smaller shops to stay in business since it is only the small guys that effectively move the higher end merchandise. Look at Bass Pro for example. They carry Orvis rods, but only the low end stuff. They don't carry them because their staff is typically not experienced enough to sell them. This is not a knock on Bass Pro, just the honest truth, right from one of their guys!

Another point that was made is the idea of shop owners not keeping up with technology. This is dead on. Many shops were run as more hobby shops. This simply doesn't work, especially in a recession, and with expanded big box competition and the internet. Hobby shop guys are not into doing all that it requires to get online (it takes a lot to get things going right with internet sales, local updates etc). You have to do it right or you will go under.

Working with local shops is in my mind, better for a number of reasons, both biased and non-biased:

*Local shops, no matter your area, typically have a more experienced sales staff
*Big box shops are located in strip mall areas and the like, so if you live in Erie, Peach st. in December to get a half a dozen flies?
*Local shops are more likely to be involved in local events, give classes and seminars etc.
*When you want to get local fishing updates, do you call a Wal Mart or Dicks, or do you call your local fly shop or bait shop?
*When is the last time you went to a box store, and they took you out to test cast a rod, or gave you an impromptu casting lesson?

Anyways, these are just the rantings of a local shop owner. I really do think that there is a place for both big box and small specialty retailers. I don't think that there is room for specialty retailers and a half a dozen big box outdoor shops in one town, but in different towns, for sure.

All in all, things go well if you keep at it. We do a lot more than just act like clerks ( I know that between the web, online sales, guiding, advertising and managing the clothing division, I hardly have time to be on the floor, and I imagine that it is the same for most owners). It is fun, rewarding and I wouldn't change jobs for the world. And last but not least, hopefully we will be around for a while. Thanks and tight lines!
Steve B
elephanthead
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1057
RE: More Shops closing 2008/01/24 11:17:02 (permalink)
AND, MightyMidge, you forgot to mention, That they're a cool place to hang out.
griffon
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1104
RE: More Shops closing 2008/01/24 11:32:42 (permalink)
Mighty Midge,  I think you hit the nail on the head.  Well said and best of luck to you in the future.
chrisrowboat
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 688
RE: More Shops closing 2008/01/24 14:52:24 (permalink)
MM,
Sounds like very good plan, I would HATE to see my local shop close.
A shop that is close by, beats waiting days to get your order.
Thanks Steve.
Chris
MightyMidge
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: More Shops closing 2008/01/26 09:25:06 (permalink)
Hey guys, thanks for the kind words. I own the Ultimate Angler on 12th St. near the airport. Thanks for putting up with my rambling! Tight lines, and here is to a great spring season!
Steve B
Loopy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1437
RE: More Shops closing 2008/02/01 11:34:36 (permalink)
Hey,  I've been in that shop a few times.

<---  The Holy Trinity
Bughawk
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3247
RE: More Shops closing 2008/02/01 12:01:54 (permalink)
It is a great shop.  My only problem is showing some self control and not buying too much...  I also have to stop picking up the rods and looking at them....   The last time I was in there, I could have sworn I heard new Sage two handed rod calling my name..... It was pretty scary...

pax vobiscum +
dano
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2982
RE: More Shops closing 2008/02/01 18:38:19 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Loopy

Hey,  I've been in that shop a few times.

So much so, people are starting to think you work there.

Gone Fishing
boyza
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: More Shops closing 2008/02/01 21:11:27 (permalink)
sad to see them go i,ve been there a good many times
post edited by boyza - 2008/02/01 21:17:19
boyza
New Angler
RE: More Shops closing 2008/02/01 21:16:20 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: quietman

Bass pro is going in Washington, PA, and that will be the end of any small shops in that area. It's hard for these guys to compete with Sportsman's warehouse selling flies for .89 cents. I think International just stays in business because of the high end stuff and trips they sell. Doesn't seem like you can make it just selling reasonable gear and flies.

there no longer puttin in the basspro
elephanthead
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1057
RE: More Shops closing 2008/02/02 08:57:11 (permalink)
And where did you get that information????????? I live/work 3 miles from there and have not heard that.......
Stack Monkey
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 27
RE: More Shops closing 2008/02/02 13:15:19 (permalink)
Bass Pro purchased land last October.  Are they backing out?  I didn't read anything about it in the Observer-Reporter.
ronnie84
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 580
RE: More Shops closing 2008/02/02 15:49:25 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: MightyMidge

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words. I own the Ultimate Angler on 12th St. near the airport. Thanks for putting up with my rambling! Tight lines, and here is to a great spring season!
Steve B

I typically like to keep my business in Volant but when I'm up in Erie I only stop here, excellent shop with great deals almost weekly it seems.

Great post, too, by the way.
woodnickle
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8504
RE: More Shops closing 2008/02/02 19:43:22 (permalink)
Now now, Ron, Seen you buy a bunch of stuff elsewhere. lol

boyza
New Angler
RE: More Shops closing 2008/02/02 22:01:04 (permalink)
go to there web page the took it off there future stores (it was there two weeks ago)
post edited by boyza - 2008/02/02 22:03:36
PeteM
Expert Angler
RE: More Shops closing 2008/02/02 23:36:19 (permalink)
With the downward trend in outdoor activities, I doubt any corporate outfitters will be making any really agressive moves.
http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/article.aspx?symbol=US:CAB&feed=AP&date=20080109&id=8016313

There have been quite a few reports of a big downward trend in hunting and fishing nationwide. Bigger corporations can take the hit, but you will probably see more of the smaller shops falling off.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: