Author
Eman89so
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1806
  • Reward points: 0
2013/11/17 08:41:01 (permalink)

What would you have done

745 Saturday Morning

Buck comes through chasing doe. Pulls up 50 yards. bangs her gets off. Doe walks passed me about 15 yards up from my stand and into the thicket.
The buck comes straight into my stand allowing for me now shot. Stops 10yards away on my shooting lane. Should I of shot through the chest cavity straight on or did I do the right thing by not shooting? As soon as the doe hit the thicket she ran and away the buck went chasing her. Big 9point nice and tall..

Curious as to what you guys would of done.

19 Replies Related Threads

Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    Re: What would you have done 2013/11/17 08:59:08 (permalink)
    Very good question and happens quite often.  My only shot doing this turned out well.  It wasn't purely straight on.  He turned his neck and shoulders slightly to his right.  My arrow entered high in front of the left shoulder.  Passed through top of heart and some lung, exiting low near last rib.  He barely made it 50 yards.  This was nearly my last day of vacation.  That is no excuse for taking a marginal shot.  But at 10 yards I could pick the exact spot I wanted.

Straight on, you're looking at a single lunger or heart shot.  Not a lot of room for error.  It's a personal judgement call.  I say take what the buck gives you within your own abilities.  Also need to consider the weather factors.  If dry, cold on private property, I'd take a 1 lunger and let him lay down over night.  Might not get a lot of tracking blood with only entrance hole in fatty brisket.  Of course you don't often think of those things in the moment.  But you can plan ahead while sitting on stand up to that moment.

I would prefer a straight-on to quartering-to if really close.  Hate those shots where you get to choose between shoulder blade and liver, with a slight window for lung.  If far away (>25 yards in my book).  I'd pass on both.
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    Re: What would you have done 2013/11/17 09:10:40 (permalink)
    Pretty much what my dad told me. Said I should of smoked him.

Kicking myself!
    r2g2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 152
    Re: What would you have done 2013/11/17 14:15:13 (permalink)

As long as you shoot 3 inch circles out to 30 yards or so and the Deer is still and not gonna jump the shot by seeing you its likely doable..
         That's a tough shot for anybody with only a narrow  target and excellent chance of a wounded deer running around. Gotta remember your shooting on a down angle  with a close deer- it may be hard to get into the cavity even hitting where you aim..
    I have generally passed it .The one time I tried it chose to aim high where the neck kinda meets the body. Bled out real quick and didnt go very far at all- watched it go down.
     NEVER feel bad bout passing any shot that you aren't comfortable with- its the best choice. Second guessing always happens but don't let it get in the way of a wise choice.
      Also remember that 'straight on' with a Deer that's actually passing by is likely a bit of a quartering to  shot=the worst lousiest bow shot going.
    You did the right thing.
    post edited by r2g2 - 2013/11/17 15:38:55
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    Re: What would you have done 2013/11/17 16:42:54 (permalink)
    If you look at the chest cavity of a deer head on, the opening is about the size of a large grapefruit at the base of the neck. Miss a little left or right and there is a good chance of a ricochet off of the ribs or one lung if you get through. 

If you can put it exactly where you want to, it is deadly. 

You have to know exactly where to place the arrow though. Look at some pics of head on deer skeletal structure on the internet that shows the hole. When shooting down from a stand, the target becomes even smaller. 

My rifle is a black rifle
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    Re: What would you have done 2013/11/17 17:21:11 (permalink)
    IMO that's a poor shot choice with a bow.  It can be done and it can be fatal, but the margin of error is too small for me to ever condone that shot. 

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    Re: What would you have done 2013/11/17 18:12:05 (permalink)

You can kind of see the hole in this picture. The aiming point is higher on the neck than many realize. From  a elevated position, you would be aiming to almost hit its chin. 
    post edited by dpms - 2013/11/17 18:21:04

My rifle is a black rifle
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    Re: What would you have done 2013/11/18 00:03:45 (permalink)
    He would almost have to be looking up, and i think you DEFINITELY did the right thing passing on the shot.

I took a shot almost straight down this year, and it went a half mile, with the wildest most intense 6 hours of tracking you could imagine(I also believe he was jumped by a 3rd party, nevertheless).  Single lung is a BlTCH.  I also took a shot 3 years ago, straight down, and sliced the heart in half, and he took 5 steps and rolled over and died.  Difference was one was quartering to, the other was straight under, spit on him shot.  That "looking at you" shot is tough to pull off with a rifle, much less with a bow, elevated, steep, 10 yards...... 

If I were to get the optimum shot, it would be quartering slightly away, 15 yards.  But when does that happen?  Once every 5 seasons?  Always think about the arrow path through the deer, bones, organs, shoulders, etc.

One thing I do in practice, I shoot off my roof with short shots, and also try to practice holding at full draw for 30 seconds or more before releasing.  These things help with confidence at pulling off those shots.  Practice throughout season too, even it is just a few shots every couple of evenings.

You did the right thing dude!  Congratulations on making an ethical choice, I know hunters much older then you that would have made the wrong one!  You will be rewarded in the long run, it makes for good mojo.....
    BIGHEAD_1
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 234
    Re: What would you have done 2013/11/18 05:43:47 (permalink)
    Eman you made the right decision on passing on the shot. Over all the years and deer that I have harvested only 2 where heading straight me. straight  down the neck shot's both went right down basically where they stood. But that was a all time ago .I'll never  make that shoot again because the arrow went straight down the throat and into the gut and was quite disgusting field dressing them. I used to hunt with a couple guy's back in the day that would only shot at the neck at any direction and always made form a bad time looking for these kinda of shots. The reason they would try that was not to ruin any meat and that is very foolish especially when most of time the deer were not found.  BOW IS NOTHING LIKE A GUN   Keep after him gun season is right around the corner
    post edited by BIGHEAD_1 - 2013/11/20 04:18:48
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    Re: What would you have done 2013/11/18 11:32:32 (permalink)
    I'm with the others who said it was a good decision to pass for the reasons already posted.  Better to question yourself and let him go than to make a mistake and just wound him.  
    Still have plenty of season left to put a tag on one.  At least you have seen a legal deer.  Still haven't seen a legal buck while on stand this year and I got blanked on deer on Fri. and Sat. evenings.
    Still better than sitting on the couch!
    r2g2
    Avid Angler
    Re: What would you have done 2013/11/18 12:51:58 (permalink)
    BIG  hit the nail on the head- Bow and Gun are two very different things
    Back in the 'one and done' days many of us 'old timers' started bow hunting with stuff like the Red Wing or a Bear  recurve at about 45 lbs and wood shafts. Back then bow seasons were generally  'new' and a pastime to get ready for gun season- clearly that old pastime has become a tech savvy passion for many -with many tags in many states it has had the opportunity to grow..
     Many of us learned the hard way that a proper decent shot with gun and bow were two very different things.
    post edited by r2g2 - 2013/11/18 14:56:44
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 827
    Re: What would you have done 2013/11/18 16:37:57 (permalink)
    I can't say you should have released the arrow I wasn't looking through your peep. Sounds like you made the right choice to me. To many guys would take even more impossible shots and send them, I have found several dead ( waisted ) deer because of bad judgment calls. Take care E
    r2g2
    Avid Angler
    Re: What would you have done 2013/11/18 16:44:36 (permalink)
    There is always something  giving the Antis fodder- Did ya see the yearling on the news with the arrow through the mouth-bad shot- or a miss with the little one behind- at any rate somebody was outa their comfort zone and it made us all look lousy.
     Anybody can miss and wounding unfortunately comes with the game sometimes- but always stack the odds in your favor with practice and common sense.
     I give Eman credit for a common sense decision in the face of what seems to have been a very nice buck.
    mopars0
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 742
    Re: What would you have done 2013/11/18 19:05:06 (permalink)
     I give Eman credit for a common sense decision also...not a expert here by any means  but he did the right thing I think.  Maybe I'm to picky at times & never take the shot but I usually feel better at the end of the day with my decision.  I took a shot at a button buck last Friday night which I hurried the shot and missed but looking back at it I'm glad I did. I didn't put tags on anything this season but that's OK ,I had a great season.

STEVE.
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    Re: What would you have done 2013/11/19 17:57:56 (permalink)
    thanks for the credit guys. I don't rifle hunt at all just archery. I will be out during the opening day with my bow hunting the little patches of woods that the rifle hunters can't hunt..
    BIGHEAD_1
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 234
    Re: What would you have done 2013/11/20 04:24:18 (permalink)
    Good Idea Ed, I would try to stay all day! Most gun hunters are only going to sit so low before they get antsy and start the push. And that my friend will pay off for you just have patience and be ready. More than likely the deer will coming in HOT, and have the grunt in hand. Good Luck Dave
    r2g2
    Avid Angler
    Re: What would you have done 2013/11/20 09:47:15 (permalink)
    Have had small places to hunt that I don't even go to till 8 or 9 AM for that very reason. They may not be where the Deer are early but when the early guys get antsy and take a hike the DO push deer.
     Has such a spot last season and didn't get out day one till 11 AM- figured to stay there the rest of the day while others went out for lunch or took hikes on adjoing properties. 
       10 minutes into the woods 5 came trotting in.
    post edited by r2g2 - 2013/11/20 09:48:36
    just_wanna_fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 424
    Re: What would you have done 2013/11/24 12:30:01 (permalink)
    i think you did the right thing Ed. here is a link someone posted once before
    http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features/articles/deer/deergeometry/

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
    r2g2
    Avid Angler
    Re: What would you have done 2013/11/27 09:28:36 (permalink)
    Hey Ed= just so ya don't feel lonely--
         Not much happenin here where I am in Ct right now but  2 days ago I bumped a Bigun.
      Got him in the scope twice- both times  questionable shots .
     Could I have shot him either time  - yes ,   would I have made a poor hit- very  likely ,  could I have tracked him down and finished the job -perhaps
         Did I shoot-- NO
     When your outa your comfort zone and it just don't seem right the only responsible  option  is-- NO.
    dakota kid
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 235
    Re: What would you have done 2013/12/04 10:17:40 (permalink)
    I guess it all depends on what feels worse, knowing you took a pass on a big one, or knowing he's out there some where dead and rotting.
    I've never had the misfortune of a non-recovery, but there's only been one time I second guessed taking a pass and that feeling only lasted a few hours. My first year of hunting on my own(rifle) I had a huge buck cross behind me and had an excellent 40 yd broadside shot. Gun raised, already thinking of the trip to the taxidermist with my first buck, I saw the yellow of a school bus passing trough the trees behind him(as he was between me and the highway). That was that, I just couldn't bring myself to shoot. I waited for him to move along the trail and give me a good shot but he never did. At the end of the day, I told my dad what happened. I thought he'd be disappointed, but he wasn't. I think he was more proud of me passing on a dangerous shot than if I would have downed that monster. He even went as far as to repeat the story to all his friends after we got home. Ever since then, I too take pride in passing an iffy/unsafe shot. I believe it's one of the main characteristics of a true hunter/sportsman.  

On the flip side, I have a super lucky buddy who seems to rattle/grunt in a nice buck every couple years. He shoots all of them. He's recovered about half. Don't get me wrong he's a good dude, and would never intentionally take a bad shot or wound a deer. However, buck fever does strange things to one's judgement. It can make a bad shot look good  and post-shot wait time seem like days. He has gotten much better and the his last three bucks have been recovered(not the case for the first three). Hopefully, he's gotten over the effects of buck fever. 

For what it's worth, I'm proud of you for taking a pass. He'll be bigger next year anyway. 
    Jump to: