Fishing small water

Author
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2393
  • Reward points: 0
2008/01/15 22:05:54 (permalink)

Fishing small water

Since I have moved up here I have been exclusively fishing most of the bigger limestoners here in State College area.  Im looking for a change of pace.  I found a small stream in the area that is full of wild brownies.  It is about 15-20 feet wide in most places and has a some nice looking pools 3-4 feet deep.  I know im gonna be at a little bit of a disadvantage with my lightest rod being a 9' 4wt combating the brushy banks.  Ive never really fished these kinds of streams in the winter but, I plan on doing it tomorrow.  Most of the similar streams I have fished were mainly native brookies, and they usually will jump for anything.  Anyone have any advice on these sorts of streams?  Do they jump for anything, anytime like the brookies or will nymphing be my best bet?  Any suggestions on flies to try?  Thanks in advance to all who reply.
post edited by Esox_Hunter - 2008/01/15 22:55:30

3 Replies Related Threads

krott243
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    RE: Fishing small water 2008/01/15 23:33:07 (permalink)
    Im no expert, but I'd fish mainly nymphs.  Hares ears, pt's, princes,stones, and whatever else you got.  Bring a variety of sizes, anything from 12's to 22's if you have them.  

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Fishing small water 2008/01/16 07:26:50 (permalink)
    for cold water brookies, I'm a small streamer kinda guy.  I'd probably throw a black, olive, or white bugger in a 12 or 14 to start with.  Have a couple bucktail streamers with a little flash in them.  Then target the more active fish.  Nymphs are too slow for me mentally this time of year, espeically for brookie fishing.  If I have to fish nymphs I'll normally stick to little black stones with some flash and small GRHE's.

thanks
    rick
    Brown_Trout
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 83
    RE: Fishing small water 2008/01/16 07:45:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: casts_by_fly

for cold water brookies, I'm a small streamer kinda guy.  I'd probably throw a black, olive, or white bugger in a 12 or 14 to start with.  Have a couple bucktail streamers with a little flash in them.  Then target the more active fish.  Nymphs are too slow for me mentally this time of year, espeically for brookie fishing.  If I have to fish nymphs I'll normally stick to little black stones with some flash and small GRHE's.

thanks
    rick

Same here
    Jump to: