Oak, Sandy, Browns, Steelface?

Author
flat lander
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 70
  • Reward points: 0
2013/10/15 11:51:41 (permalink)

Oak, Sandy, Browns, Steelface?

I just got back from my fall trip to the Erie tribs and my fall fishing itch was not thoroughly scratched. I talked to a few folks on 20 mile in Erie about Oak Orchard. I've stayed in Pulaski one time for Salmon, but never targeted browns and steelies in NY. Any pointers, tips, ideas on where I should start planning a day trip? I'm not looking to buy new gear so spinning gear will be the weapon of choice. Thanks in advance, hopefully the members lurking in this park of the forum are less harsh on newbies 

3 Replies Related Threads

AlaskaKing76
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Oak, Sandy, Browns, Steelface? 2013/10/15 14:56:23 (permalink)
    Hey flat lander I have been going up to the New York tribs for the past 3 years and we spend a week in November fishing various tribs including burt dam (18 mile), Johnson creek, oak orchard, sandy creek and the niagara river. There are other smaller tribs that can be fished if others are blown out just like Erie. If you are only spin fishing I can suggest skein or egg sacs just like fishing for steelhead in Erie. I see a lot of people fishing eggs up there. I can also suggest fishing jig patterns like mini foos and I do see some spinner and minnow fisherman as well.I focus on fly fishing with egg patterns, streamers, and last year it seemed that beads were the ticket for the big browns.(especially on
    The oak) There are usually plenty of fish to be found in these areas but be aware that there are also very many fisherman as well as guides with paying clients in these public areas. Most areas also have pay parking Just a few bucks to park but be aware to lock your vehicle and cover valuable essentials within your vehicle. Also if you plan to fish in these popular areas and you would like to fish a popular area be prepared to Stand in the dark for a few hours before daylight due to heavy crowds and don't be surprised when you see the crowds barging in at daylight because it will happen I can guarantee that. There are a few places to stay overnight in the oak orchard area but plan and book accordingly because they will be booked if not already. All in all the New York tribs are awesome fisheries and are usually plentiful with fish; steel and browns mixed together and a few late kings that can catch you by surprise at times which can be entertaining. You can get daily reports if you simply google (Orleans outdoors New York) They do a great job updating the stream conditions and reports daily on there website. They also have a shop located minutes away from oak orchard with equipment and are very helpful to customers I hope this helps and good luck if you make it up. I would suggest making you trip at least a few days, because a day trip is certainly not enough to fish the various tribs in this area. Tight lines!!!!
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: Oak, Sandy, Browns, Steelface? 2013/10/16 07:21:07 (permalink)
    I believe that jigs are still on the forbidden tackle list.  Many of us thought as long as the jig was under 1/8 oz, you could call it a fly.  But the regs changes discussed at last year's SOL meetings included a change to allow jigs, so maybe not, and those regs are not in effect yet.  Coming from out of state, it pays to study the NYS regs.
    http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31420.html

L13
    flat lander
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 70
    Re: Oak, Sandy, Browns, Steelface? 2013/10/16 11:51:40 (permalink)
    AlaskaKing76
    Hey flat lander I have been going up to the New York tribs for the past 3 years and we spend a week in November fishing various tribs including burt dam (18 mile), Johnson creek, oak orchard, sandy creek and the niagara river. There are other smaller tribs that can be fished if others are blown out just like Erie. If you are only spin fishing I can suggest skein or egg sacs just like fishing for steelhead in Erie. I see a lot of people fishing eggs up there. I can also suggest fishing jig patterns like mini foos and I do see some spinner and minnow fisherman as well.I focus on fly fishing with egg patterns, streamers, and last year it seemed that beads were the ticket for the big browns.(especially on
    The oak) There are usually plenty of fish to be found in these areas but be aware that there are also very many fisherman as well as guides with paying clients in these public areas. Most areas also have pay parking Just a few bucks to park but be aware to lock your vehicle and cover valuable essentials within your vehicle. Also if you plan to fish in these popular areas and you would like to fish a popular area be prepared to Stand in the dark for a few hours before daylight due to heavy crowds and don't be surprised when you see the crowds barging in at daylight because it will happen I can guarantee that. There are a few places to stay overnight in the oak orchard area but plan and book accordingly because they will be booked if not already. All in all the New York tribs are awesome fisheries and are usually plentiful with fish; steel and browns mixed together and a few late kings that can catch you by surprise at times which can be entertaining. You can get daily reports if you simply google (Orleans outdoors New York) They do a great job updating the stream conditions and reports daily on there website. They also have a shop located minutes away from oak orchard with equipment and are very helpful to customers I hope this helps and good luck if you make it up. I would suggest making you trip at least a few days, because a day trip is certainly not enough to fish the various tribs in this area. Tight lines!!!!

Lucky13
    I believe that jigs are still on the forbidden tackle list.  Many of us thought as long as the jig was under 1/8 oz, you could call it a fly.  But the regs changes discussed at last year's SOL meetings included a change to allow jigs, so maybe not, and those regs are not in effect yet.  Coming from out of state, it pays to study the NYS regs.
    http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31420.html

L13

I appreciate the help guys. I'm pretty excited to try a new area.  
    Jump to: