Author
trout man
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 158
  • Reward points: 0
2013/10/04 10:23:35 (permalink)

New york salmon trip

Hello all  
  I'm making my first trip to New York to fish for salmon in two weeks.  Going to be fishing at Burts dam.  I will be using my 8 wt fly rod. Not sure what size leader and tippet to use. I'm sure the size 6 and 7 leaders and the light tippet I have in my vest won't do. Any suggestions?  Heck, any suggestions in general will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Tight Lines
Trout Man

5 Replies Related Threads

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    Re: New york salmon trip 2013/10/04 14:49:56 (permalink)
    Hey man.  We will be at the dirty boot at the same time.  I love the dirty dirty but I hate it at the same time....it's much like Erie on the worst day you ever saw times by 10.

First suggestion, bring a spinning rod.  If you thought Erie had a bunch of jagloons, you really aint seen nothin yet.

Second, use eggs.  Mainly because you will bump the dude to the left or right of you if you pull a streamer.  There are salmon galore dropping eggs, the trouts are always like nom nom nom.  Glo Bugs and Spawn will work good.  If you want to catch a salmon just do what everyone else does and floss them I guess chances are you'll end up doing that anyway even if not intentional.  If you want to catch trout and not be a jumbyte actually fish for them they will eat eggs trustmek?

Third, I would get a stout leader mainly because it's hard to go after fish there.  I'd use something in the 1 - 3X range or even just make your own.
    If you wanna buy some leaders go here http://www.christopherfaveflyfishing.webs.com/ that dude makes a lot of leaders.

Three A, This......

freshwaterdrumR
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 603
    Re: New york salmon trip 2013/10/04 15:12:50 (permalink)
    The first time I fished the dirty burt the first thing I saw when I walked down was a dirty **** man catch a huge brown trout, then proceed to go two knuckles deep into its a-hole to keep the eggs from coming out.  The first and only place I've ever seen a huge brownie fingered....It is a zoo up there....lol
    You can get away with some pretty heavy leader material, the water isn't as gin clear as Erie streams.

If you get tired of the dirty burt, Oak Orchard is only around a half hour away and may have a little more elbow room.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    Re: New york salmon trip 2013/10/04 15:30:57 (permalink)
    I had a nightmare like that once. I plan on never going there. Looks horrible.
    fishmonger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    Re: New york salmon trip 2013/10/04 18:42:24 (permalink)
    I don't know if I told this story on here before, but I was up at Burt Dam in the early 90's. I had managed a spot below the bridge pilings. An older black man ( not racist but that is part of the story) had a heart attack and died on the path up to the dam. He was laying there on the path with his two buddies standing over him. EMS had been called and they were waiting for an ambulance. The other "fishermen" that were coming and going simply stepped over his body and continued on their way. The ambulance and the police showed up and took the poor fellow away. A few hours later, I'm positive that his two buddies came back and headed up to the dam. I could not believe the lack of respect just for some old fish.

Fishmonger
    muskiemeat
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 146
    Re: New york salmon trip 2013/10/04 21:22:45 (permalink)
    12 lb berkley vanish or seagar 

Fish to live...live to fish

One Burbot, One Scotch, One Beerg
    Jump to: