Author
Pgh Kid
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 88
  • Reward points: 0
2008/01/14 19:38:41 (permalink)

Where to fish

Hello All,
I am new to fly fishing for steelhead and was wondering where the best place to fish this time of year might be - fast water or pools.

Any help would be great.

20 Replies Related Threads

flirod4evr
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 208
    RE: Where to fish 2008/01/14 21:09:26 (permalink)
    If your flyfishing you NEED to be in the fast riffles and runs. If you have bait then anywhere is good as long as theres a steelhead in there. If your using bait try casting extremely ahead of the target fish so your bait has time to settle into the drift. dont use much wait with this method just enough to get it into the fishes window.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Where to fish 2008/01/14 21:14:26 (permalink)
    "If your flyfishing you NEED to be in the fast riffles and runs."

What brings you to this conclusion?

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Pgh Kid
    Novice Angler
    RE: Where to fish 2008/01/15 10:19:35 (permalink)
        Thanks for the responce. I am fly fishing but it has been many years since I have held a rod.
    2dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Where to fish 2008/01/15 13:49:57 (permalink)
    spoonchucker
    Sounds like flirod4evr wants the holes to himself.

Pgh Kid
    They will be in the holes for the most part this time of year. The best advise is don't think of them as steelhead that need to be fished differently. Think of them as trout. It worked for me thinking like that.
    flirod4evr
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 208
    RE: Where to fish 2008/01/15 15:32:55 (permalink)
    Its just normally when you using something that depends on the drift you should probably be in the current. Its just better fishing in the faster riffles and runs since your prensentation dosent have to be as exact. I know someone will bring this up so right now before anyone gets the chance...in the lake most of the fish havent seen a fly in 11 months. The fish will have the fly in its mouth longer in faster water and more fish will actually hit it. I dont fish deep slow moving holes with the fly rod very often at all no matter what time of year. Also you dont need that small of a pattern in the fast water.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6351
    RE: Where to fish 2008/01/15 15:40:50 (permalink)
    Pgh Kid,
          Although this may sound boring:  First find a hole with fish in it. Steel are big.  Unless the water is very cloudy you will be able to see the fish you are after. For steelhead you will primarily be fishing nymphs, and buggers.  You want to weight your line above the fly with just enough weight to get the fly down to where the fish are without too much drag or the fly floating away. (I like one small shot 6" above the fly, another 2' above that and a third (heavier, at the surface just below my strike indicator) This takes experimentation. Change small split shot at differing heights above your fly till you obtain a drift that is as close to the fishes' depth as possible.  If you are just beginning, a large fly like a bugger works well as a visual aid.  Next you will want to use some type of float (strike indicator) to show you when the movement of your fly changes.  Sometimes steelhead will take softer than a stocked rainbow.  If you do fish a different fly; sucker spawn or single glow eggs seem to work best most of the time.  The key is to practice and to adjust your fishing to the conditions.  Try to observe what the other fishermen are doing, and ask questions.  There are a lot of very helpful people on the tribs.  The advice about them being just big trout is very sage.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Where to fish 2008/01/15 15:52:52 (permalink)
    First, Fly fishing does NOT necessarily "depend" on drift. Second, The same cuurent found in the runs above & below the pools, flows THROUGH the pools. The flow rate may be spread out over the entire pool ( less drift ), or through a particular area of the pool ( only slightly less drift ). The key is learning to read the water, and use the drift that is there. OR create your own drift/action by stripping, or twitching. Third, He asked where to fish this time of year . It is not going to be "better fishing in the faster riffles and runs", when the FISH are in the slower pools.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: Where to fish 2008/01/15 18:13:02 (permalink)
    Good point Spoon.  I caught fish today in slow, deep pools that still had a decent drift.  With a fly rod of course.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: Where to fish 2008/01/15 18:35:15 (permalink)
    I like drifting a nymph or egg through pools. Look for a seam or scumline that will form on the surface and try to get your drift in it.

Depending on where you are at, there may also be boulders and rocks beneath the surface that the fish like to hang out around, and undercut banks too.

Better yet, check this out- http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/books/rosenbauer_reading_water.aspx

There is a lot of info there and it has helped me immensly.Made the difference between whipping the water until it submits a fish and actualy catching one. There is also a great one on swinging streamers-http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/techniques/monahan_swing.aspx

and quite a few generaly very good articles on a variety of subjects-http://www.midcurrent.com/articles/techniques.aspx

Hope it does the same for you.

PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: Where to fish 2008/01/15 18:55:32 (permalink)
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Where to fish 2008/01/15 19:00:43 (permalink)
    Pgh Kid, Go fish, experiment and have fun.

indsguiz gave some good advise: "Try to observe what the other fishermen are doing, and ask questions.  There are a lot of very helpful people on the tribs." 
    Other fishermen are more than willing to give advise or show you a trick or two stream side, rather than on an open forum. Get yourself an inexpensive 7wt combo and have at it... Good Luck

There are also allot of good books on the subject, read a few...they will get your blood flowing.

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    fishnabarrel
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: Where to fish 2008/01/15 19:44:46 (permalink)
    When i started  i fished anywhere i could anytime i could
    Pgh Kid
    Novice Angler
    RE: Where to fish 2008/01/16 08:45:43 (permalink)
    Indsquiz strates that you should spread out the split shot several feet to get a good drift - how does this work. Is there a difference  between that and using one big shot or several small ones close together?

By the way - thanks all for the advice. It has given me plenty to study.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Where to fish 2008/01/16 15:11:54 (permalink)
    Pgh kid,
          In much of the water the bottom of the pool is moving slower than the surface of the pool due to drag from the bottom, depth, or obstructions (stones)  Therefore it takes less weight to keep a fly on the bottom but it takes a heavier weight (total) to buck the surface current.  So if you space out the shot (small) you will be able to get a decent drift without dragging the bottom, plus you can get the line down through the fast water on the surface.  If you look closely the fish will usually be holding at a certain depth range and you want your fly in that range.  That's why you observe and experiment.  A big weight will get the fly down but will also result in an unnatural drift.  You want the fly to float with the current or a little slower.  A fly that's anchored to the bottom has less chance of attracting a strike.
           A while back somebody else posted a diagram of the correct weighting.  It's on an old post somewhere.  Don't be afraid to change or slide the weghts around to discover what is best for any given hole.

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Where to fish 2008/01/16 15:28:03 (permalink)
    OR, and I'm not saying this is what indy is suggesting. If you place your shot 3-5 feet from your fly, and fish the fast runs/chutes I'll bet you  " catch" a fish if there are any there.

sarcasm highly implied.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Where to fish 2008/01/16 17:48:58 (permalink)
    Spoon,
          You're leading the boy over to the "Dark Side".  And I thought you were one of the good jedi's.

2dog
    Expert Angler
    RE: Where to fish 2008/01/17 19:57:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: indsguiz

The advice about them being just big trout is very sage.

It worked for me. Started fishing for steelhead out in Indiana and Michigan. Only caught two in three years, and they came from next to the bank in about two foot of water. Seen them there when I got in the river. Finally started to catch them when I moved back to Pa and fished for them as if they were trout. After all thats what they are. The rainbow you catch all across the state is called a trout. But they came from steelhead stock out on the west coast. Only difference is that the rainbow that's scattered across the state doesn't go out to sea or a large lake like the steelhead in Erie.
    Pgh Kid
    Novice Angler
    RE: Where to fish 2008/01/17 20:47:17 (permalink)
    Pete M
    Those are some great articals.
    2dog
    Expert Angler
    Pgh Kid
    Novice Angler
    RE: Where to fish 2008/01/18 07:41:16 (permalink)
    thanks 2dog
    Jump to: