Braided line over rocks?

Author
srl135
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 55
  • Reward points: 0
2013/08/31 13:56:38 (permalink)

Braided line over rocks?

Anyone noticed any issues with using braided line in the rivers where rocky bottoms exist? Lost every fish today, and all I can think is its due to line fray over the rocks. Was bottom fishing and never had issues with my knots in the past. Using power pro 10# line.

6 Replies Related Threads

Mags00
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 593
    Re:Braided line over rocks? 2013/08/31 17:25:20 (permalink)
    Depends on the technique you're using, it could be getting cut off by native mussels or by rough stone but you would notice a hang up prior if it was stones,  I use braided line on my heavy set ups and fish on the middle Allegheny near L/D6 and have little to no issues, and my girlfriend uses 20# Power Pro with leader and has no break/cut/rip offs and it's pretty rocky where we fish.   First main question is are you using a leader of either fluorocarbon/mono/steel/titanium?  There may ALSO be a very SMALL/SLIGHT possibility of defective product.
    srl135
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 55
    Re:Braided line over rocks? 2013/08/31 18:02:46 (permalink)
    No leader, both rods experienced break offs. Both are power pro, but from two different spools. No issue with breaking on any occasion prior to today. The rod that experienced 2 of the 3 breaks had brand new line on it.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    Re:Braided line over rocks? 2013/08/31 19:07:45 (permalink)
    You can tie on a leader from 12" up to 6' or so if you don't mind casting a knot through the guides. I like a uni-uni splice for lines of similar diameter, or an improved Albright if the leader is noticeably thicker.
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re:Braided line over rocks? 2013/09/01 07:40:43 (permalink)
    SRL,  you stated you never had issues with your knots "in the past".  This time, were you breaking off in the middle of the line or at the knot?
    Mags00
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 593
    Re:Braided line over rocks? 2013/09/01 10:46:04 (permalink)
    If it was breaking at the knot then you may want to consider a leader because the constant load on the knot could be breaking it on the back to front cast motion.  A leader (mono or fluorocarbon) will take the load better because they both stretch some adding suppression to the load.  Most line to line knots work but I found the Alberto knot to work the best only because any tension on the knot actually tightens it more, the only time I found an issue is trying to free from snags I've broken off 1 leader so far and have been using it with 8-12# leader for a while now.  I would rule out the defective spool then if it's happened out of two different spools, unless the LOT# are the same, which in that case there may be a SLIGHT chance of defect which I doubt, you would more than likely find a defect in a mono/copolymer before a braid...
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    Re:Braided line over rocks? 2013/09/02 19:35:31 (permalink)
    Braid is the worst possible line choice when fishing rocks. Rock will easily fray and cut braid resulting in line breakage.
    If you must use braid around rocks, attach a flouro leader. Flouro is a much better choice for rock.

Kistler Custom Rods Pro Staff
    GAMMA Fishing Lines Pro Staff
    Jump to: