Salmon Rod/Reel combo

Author
Mags00
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 593
  • Reward points: 0
2013/08/27 19:25:15 (permalink)

Salmon Rod/Reel combo

After a discussion with my girlfriend we were considering heading to NY (Genesee River, Ponds and Bays near Rochester) area and tribs to try our luck with the Fall salmon run, and we aren't really sure if the gear we already have is able to be used for Salmon or not...  Not so much the hooks, weights, and following regulations but more so the rod/reels we have.  We have steelhead gear and I figured they are close related but after watching some videos and reading some checklists (granted coming from Washington, Oregon, and Alaska the fish are slightly bigger and such.)  But I was curious if a Mid sized reel spooled with 10-14# Line and an 8'6"-9' Medium power rod (4-20# line) would be a reasonable combo to use fishing either the Genesee or one of it's trib or even near the mouth of the river/Lake Ontario.  After watching some vids and reading some other info I would mostly be utilizing the drift technique and possibly but not likely throwing spoons/spinners (last resort.)  I'm not looking to throw out a ton of $$$ I don't really have on new combos as of right now but was curious if what I have would serve the purpose to tackle a river salmon if I were to be able to make a trip up before the end of the year.

Thanks.
post edited by Mags00 - 2013/08/27 19:30:25

6 Replies Related Threads

slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1780
    Re:Salmon Rod/Reel combo 2013/08/28 08:57:09 (permalink)
    Mags, sounds like you have what you need. I have a set up that's a little heavier, but I think what you have will work just fine for drifting. Just make sure that the reel is a good one because a salmon can strip the gears of a lesser reel. Use 14-20# Power Pro or Fireline.

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
    John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    Re:Salmon Rod/Reel combo 2013/08/28 09:15:15 (permalink)
    I have caught plenty of kings on my regular noodle out of the NY tribs.
    I just beef up my line to 6lb McCoy mean green or Tectan 8.75lb test that has about 4lb diameter. Both are avliable through Fish USA tackle shop on this site. I also use my reg spinning reel. I always use a larger reel, just because it hold more line and the drags are usually better. In my experience the kings do run, but dont go crazy like the steelhead do here. They tend to try to just bully you with their power  and will hold up some. They are not as line shy as steelies, but I prefer not to go heavier than 8lb mono for them. If you fight them right you can land them. Just my $.02 on the question. Good Luck !
    Mags00
    Expert Angler
    Re:Salmon Rod/Reel combo 2013/08/28 18:49:09 (permalink)
    I'm almost certian the reel (Team Daiwa-S 3000cu) would be perfectly fine.  I was considering using 14# Fireline or PP, would I tie a leader on there too?  And if I went with mono it would probably be Yo-Zuri Hybrid in 12lb..  Also, wouldn't ripping a guide out be a fear if you hook into a bruiser?  The rod is a Cabela's Whuppin Stick (Practically an Ugly Stik...) And I've seen guys using 6' or 6'6 catching steelies (granted they aren't as brutish as Salmon but still...) lol...   I have some time to pick up the stuff so all the replies will get noted.  And thanks so far for the info guys!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re:Salmon Rod/Reel combo 2013/08/28 19:09:27 (permalink)
    Mags, sorry I didn't reply on the SR board.. Just got back from Lake O and went right into a graveyard shift.. I'm awake now (sort of)..
    It seems the set up you described will be just Fine except I would NOT use braid line at all..
    While I'm not familiar with the western tribs , there is a reason nobody uses braid on the eastern side, too many snags.. If your line happens to get wrapped around a snag be it from a fish or just drift then you got some serious problems breaking it off.. Besides leaving it in the water for the next guy to find..
    With your reel, spool it up with 12- or 14 lb mono main line..
    If its a smaller med sized reel the 12 will cast better the 14..
    Your rod being on the longer/lighter side will help protect the line a bit more..
    Start with 10 lb leader off your main line and if your breaking off then go 12 leader to 12main.. Still use a leader section..
    Some heros use willow sticks,super light tippets and still land fish (after exhaustion) ..
    The fish will fight hard but as said the rod and proper fighting (rod to the side) will have no problems handling them..
    Good Luck and have fun

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Mags00
    Expert Angler
    Re:Salmon Rod/Reel combo 2013/08/28 19:43:15 (permalink)
    Thanks Tuna, I have caught a few steelhead and am by no means "GOOD" at it.  So it wouldn't upset me one bit if I go and catch nothing I just don't want to go with the wrong gear and have a catastrophic event happen,  it's nearly impossible to get a rough idea just by searching the web because when you search "Salmon Fishing checklist" or "Set ups" it's almost guaranteed you get the info from a guy in Alaska, Washington, or Oregon where the fish are ocean run and bigger and meaner...  LOL...    I also don't want to go with braid and be THAT guy who causes problems in days/weeks to come with leaving behind all of my 7 strand 14# test that breaks at close to 25#...  So i'll sit down figure out the second rod for the misses and possibly do some more reading on drifting and such and possibly head up to the Genesee and Tribs in late September or Early October for a day or two...  
    akitadog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 977
    Re:Salmon Rod/Reel combo 2013/08/29 22:20:00 (permalink)
    i also use a 10'6 noodle rod. its a custom, pretty lite action on half the rod and alot of back bone on the bottom half. a president reel with 8# seagar 100% fluro. size 6 hook and big chunk of skein.
    Jump to: