Author
TTFO
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 38
  • Reward points: 0
2008/01/14 10:10:44 (permalink)

Personal Pontoon Boats

Hi all,

I'm a new member to the site (though I've lurked since it's inception!!)  I don't know if this is the appropriate forum or not but here goes.  I'm interested in getting a personal pontoon boat for Presque Isle, Oil Creek and the Tail Waters of Kinzua Dam.  Does anyone have any personal knowledge of these crafts.  I don't want to spent a ton of money but I also don't want to cheap out and have to upgrade to something better right away.  Any recomendations??  Style of boat, size considerations, features Etc. 

Thanks in advance and Tight lines to all

30 Replies Related Threads

griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: Personal Pontoon Boats 2008/01/14 10:56:24 (permalink)
    From my personal experience,  DO NOT CHEAP OUT (either go all the way or risk going to the bottom).  I had a medium line one (Trout Unlimited Madison) and almost ended up in a disastrous situation.  Always wear a PFD and never get yourself into a position where you cannot swim to shore if necessary.  Keep a very sharp knife available where you can reach it.  If you go down, you may need to cut yourself out of the pontoon or even your waders possibly.  Also, landing toothy critters with attitudes becomes a bit risky and could end up  with quick deflation of a pontoon.  Seriously not trying steer you away from the decision but rather, trying to help you make a good one.  Good Luck and be safe.
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Personal Pontoon Boats 2008/01/14 11:06:49 (permalink)
    I've had pontoons in the past and I can tell you one thing....
    They are designed for drifting. They don't do very well if you want to venture out some distances. They don't track very well and will ware you down after a while. If you want to fish large areas like Presque Isle, I would suggest a Kayak, instead. On a nice day you can make it across the bay in 30 minutes or less.
    Besides, they are a lot easier to load in a truck.

On the flip side.....

I had a pontoon that had a small motor bracket on the back. I never got around to riggin' that up, though.

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    Capt.Professor
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Personal Pontoon Boats 2008/01/14 11:31:45 (permalink)
    The best pontoon boat available is by OutCast. I have had mine now for several years. I also can attach a electric motor. It is the best one going.
    They are not the cheapest boat you can buy however you only get what you pay for. This boat will last for a long time as well.
    Xstream Fishing
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 78
    RE: Personal Pontoon Boats 2008/01/14 13:24:22 (permalink)
    SKIP THE TOON AND GO WITH A YAK.  WAY EASIER TO HANDLE!

We have not inherited this world from our ancestors, rather we borrowed it from our children.

Happiness does not come from having much, but from being attached to little...
    FISH ON, GOTTA RUN!
    AzzUR
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Personal Pontoon Boats 2008/01/14 13:41:24 (permalink)
    I am kicking around the idea of getting a WaterMaster Kodiak myself.  Rowable inflatable which can also be used with kick fins if the situation allows.  Thought about a kayak but between the storage and transport considerations, this seems like a better way to go for me.  Check out their website http://www.bigskyinflatables.com/ for more information.  May not be your cup of tea but imo having as much information as possible helps.  These will not handle as well as a kayak, but would probably handle a ton better than a toon and be much easier to haul around to boot. 
    post edited by AzzUR - 2008/01/14 13:44:14
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Personal Pontoon Boats 2008/01/14 13:46:20 (permalink)
    No Thank You,  I wouldn't trust my life to that no way, no how...  Sorry, but a rubber raft with a hole in the floor constructed of PVC with no Visible Shield to protect it...  Cage goes in the water, you go in the cage, shark is in the water.
    Xstream Fishing
    Novice Angler
    RE: Personal Pontoon Boats 2008/01/14 13:58:13 (permalink)
    Wasn't aware of those and now am thinking about getting one for myself.  I have done the pontoon boat thing...didn't like it.  Done the float tube thing, it was ok.  This boat could be useful.  I am going to look into it a bit.

We have not inherited this world from our ancestors, rather we borrowed it from our children.

FISH ON, GOTTA RUN!
    TTFO
    New Angler
    RE: Personal Pontoon Boats 2008/01/14 14:04:10 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the input.  I have thought about a yak but have storage concerns and price issues.  I was going to get my father one too... so that's double the expence.  The Presque Isle useage would mainly be the lagoons, marina areas, misery bay not so much the open bay but your safty tips are greatly appreciated Griffon.  Anyone else have recommendations??
    atpeacock
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Personal Pontoon Boats 2008/01/14 16:27:45 (permalink)
    I have an ODC 816 and it costs around $350.  I would say that it was a great purchase for floating streams that you can do it in, I mostly used it in Michigan. They are great for getting you from point A to point B and using them mainly for transportation.  Great way to spend the day, grill and cooler attached for lunch!!!  I have a motor mount made but have not used it yet. I did have it on Wilhelm last year and it worked fine, but there was no wind.  
    AzzUR
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Personal Pontoon Boats 2008/01/14 16:55:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: griffon

No Thank You,  I wouldn't trust my life to that no way, no how...  Sorry, but a rubber raft with a hole in the floor constructed of PVC with no Visible Shield to protect it...  Cage goes in the water, you go in the cage, shark is in the water.

Yes, they are PVC inflatables, but these aren't your $90 Wal-Mart cheapies, these are made to much higher specs with 1000 denier PVC material much like what is used to make whitewater rafts etc. As an example, the Vanguard River rafts are made from 1100 denier PVC, rafts that are made to carry 5-6 people in class IV rapids. These things can take some serious abuse and last for years from what I've read, can't speak from experience (yet!!!).  Not trying to sell these over another product mentioned, its just that a lot of people have never heard of them, I didn't know they existed until seeing "Trout Bum Diaries" where they were used to fish lakes and float rivers in Patagonia.
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 526
    RE: Personal Pontoon Boats 2008/01/14 21:10:46 (permalink)
    Some (such as griffon) are confusing float pontoon boats with float tubes.

Lets address pontoon boats since I think that's what you want.

I presently have a Dave Scadden, a great brand of boat.  You would want aluminum frame, pontoons of at least 9 foot in length, you can get them with standing decks if you want those (if you fly fish  you should have such a deck).  You should also get rigged with storage bags and for Presque Isle Bay I'd suggest a motor mount and rear deck. If you stay off the main bay, you'll not need a motor.  (You'll also need to license it if you install a motor)

The type of pontoons are important.  Make certain you have good quality bladders along with a good pump system.  Heat from the sun can expand these bladders so you don't want to over fill them nor underfill them. (It will make oaring a chore)

Get good oars, something light, two piece.  Also rod holders.  I made a set of three rocket launchers for behind the seat.  When I head for low branches I take them down but otherwise they are great.

Get a boat with a hard (cushioned) seat, not those mesh or fabric kind.  They get uncomfortable.

Use a kayak type PFD, not something bulky, or get one of those automatic inflatables.

Another piece of gear you may want to consider is a trailer for these are best transported in one, unless you have a full size pickup w/ 8 ft bed.

P.S.  I have had all kinds of boats including a jet boat.  I have 2 kayaks, 3 canoes, 1 float boat and the Scadden pontoon.  If I only had one boat, for its versitility, I'd choose the pontoon. My Hobie Outback Fisherman would run second place.
    post edited by kayak99 - 2008/01/14 21:28:09
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    RE: Personal Pontoon Boats 2008/01/14 21:24:56 (permalink)
    Oops, duplicate
    post edited by kayak99 - 2008/01/14 21:25:35
    Side Pressure
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Personal Pontoon Boats 2008/01/15 07:03:22 (permalink)
    A lot of great points have been brought to light, and if some of this is regurgitated I apologize. A yak is a great tool, but there are several things you must take into consideration. You must take in account how much you weigh, and how much gear you are going to carry in the yak. How big do you want your yak to be? Where is your yak going to be used the most? Do you want a sit on top or a sit in. Make sure your yak has a chine (A chine in boating refers to a relatively sharp angle in the hull, as compared to the rounded bottoms of most traditional boat hulls. The term hard chine indicates an angle with little rounding, where a soft chine would be more rounded, but still involve the meeting of distinct planes. Chine log construction is a method of building hard chine boat hulls. Hard chines are common in plywood hulls, while soft chines are often found on fiberglass hulls.) Well pontoon boats hold a dear place in my heart from floating rivers in MI, to smacking the snot out of smallmouth/pike in Thompsons Bay. Pontoon boats do not track well in the open water due to the open bow. I find its easier to turn around and row backwards. I have a Water Skeeter River Tamer II it has a great design. The pontoon has 2400 denier covered pontoons, and each pontoon has a double bladder system. I mainly fish tail-waters in KY, and WVA with it. There are some things in my opinion that limits the pontoon boat abilities on the water. If you fish alone on the river you will need a spotter, and the yak in normal flows in a lot of rivers can be paddled up stream with a little effort “you would not want to try this in a toon”.
    post edited by Side Pressure - 2008/01/15 07:04:32
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Personal Pontoon Boats 2008/01/15 07:12:31 (permalink)
    Kayak,

I am not confused.  I had a Uboat II float tube by Creek Company at one time.  It was nice, but a lot of wasted energy especially if there was any kind of breeze blowing away from where you wanted to be.  The second personal watercraft I had was the pontoon boat mentioned in my first post.  I know what a pontoon boat is and specifically stated that if someone were to buy one that they buy a very high end one right out of the gate (please don't make assumptions, actually read someone's full post, and do a little research before you make accusations).  I would not hesitate to use a pontoon again, but it would be top of the line.  Until then, My 18 ft. Skeeter walleye boat will have to suffice (and yes it is a walleye boat, just in case you thought I was confused...)

ORIGINAL: kayak99

Some (such as griffon) are confusing float pontoon boats with float tubes.

Lets address pontoon boats since I think that's what you want.

I presently have a Dave Scadden, a great brand of boat.  You would want aluminum frame, pontoons of at least 9 foot in length, you can get them with standing decks if you want those (if you fly fish  you should have such a deck).  You should also get rigged with storage bags and for Presque Isle Bay I'd suggest a motor mount and rear deck. If you stay off the main bay, you'll not need a motor.  (You'll also need to license it if you install a motor)

The type of pontoons are important.  Make certain you have good quality bladders along with a good pump system.  Heat from the sun can expand these bladders so you don't want to over fill them nor underfill them. (It will make oaring a chore)

Get good oars, something light, two piece.  Also rod holders.  I made a set of three rocket launchers for behind the seat.  When I head for low branches I take them down but otherwise they are great.

Get a boat with a hard (cushioned) seat, not those mesh or fabric kind.  They get uncomfortable.

Use a kayak type PFD, not something bulky, or get one of those automatic inflatables.

Another piece of gear you may want to consider is a trailer for these are best transported in one, unless you have a full size pickup w/ 8 ft bed.

P.S.  I have had all kinds of boats including a jet boat.  I have 2 kayaks, 3 canoes, 1 float boat and the Scadden pontoon.  If I only had one boat, for its versitility, I'd choose the pontoon. My Hobie Outback Fisherman would run second place.
    TTFO
    New Angler
    RE: Personal Pontoon Boats 2008/01/15 08:35:05 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the input it is appreciated.  It looks like the main theme is to get a higher end model right away.  (I was kind of hoping for the "get the cheapy... there just as good" reply....but all the points made were very good.  Looks like some more research (and saving $$$) is needed to make sure I get the right product.  Again Thank you very much!
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    RE: Personal Pontoon Boats 2008/01/15 09:01:28 (permalink)

Kayak,

I am not confused.  I had a Uboat II float tube by Creek Company at one time.  It was nice, but a lot of wasted energy especially if there was any kind of breeze blowing away from where you wanted to be.  The second personal watercraft I had was the pontoon boat mentioned in my first post.  I know what a pontoon boat is and specifically stated that if someone were to buy one that they buy a very high end one right out of the gate (please don't make assumptions, actually read someone's full post, and do a little research before you make accusations).  I would not hesitate to use a pontoon again, but it would be top of the line.  Until then, My 18 ft. Skeeter walleye boat will have to suffice (and yes it is a walleye boat, just in case you thought I was confused...)

Griffon, I did not make assumptions nor accuse you of anything.  I read your own words.  You, and others are discussing and describing float tubes not just pontoons.  Did you even read what you wrote??  In your last post you sound like you're in Jaws!  Cages?

One does not neeed to be "cut out" of a pontoon ever and "toothy critters" do not attack pontoons. a pontoon is not a rubber raft with a hole in the middle!!  How more confusing can you be? 

griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Personal Pontoon Boats 2008/01/15 09:16:29 (permalink)
    "From my personal experience,  DO NOT CHEAP OUT (either go all the way or risk going to the bottom).  I had a medium line one (Trout Unlimited Madison) and almost ended up in a disastrous situation"

Do your research...

My other comment was about the "raft" in a separate post.  And yes, it was a line from Jaws (poor attempt at humor).  I would trust a pontoon with a heavy duty cordura cover over a rubber coated raft, unless it is "whitewater" tough.  Even then, your legs are hanging down in that thing and gliding down a current could and may result in blasting your knees and shins on underwater structure. 

That said, there isn't a Northern or Musky out there that cannot punch a hole in the bladders of  a pontoon, not to mention the large hooks that are often affiliated with catching those critters.  When they are thrashing at boatside, anything can and probably will happen.  Since he was looking to fish PI, he will likely run into at least a few of them.

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6353
    RE: Personal Pontoon Boats 2008/01/15 09:34:18 (permalink)
    There is a company that makes a small, two man aluminum pontoon boat that features a full deck and can be had with chairs fore/aft or a bench.  I comes with/without a railing and can take up to a 9.9 hp motor with either front or rear steering controls.  Saw it for the first time at the Louisville boat show last year.  Very nice and one man moveable in a pinch.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    RE: Personal Pontoon Boats 2008/01/15 14:21:10 (permalink)

Do your research...

Even then, your legs are hanging down in that thing and gliding down a current could and may result in blasting your knees and shins on underwater structure. 

That said, there isn't a Northern or Musky out there that cannot punch a hole in the bladders of  a pontoon, not to mention the large hooks that are often affiliated with catching those critters.  When they are thrashing at boatside, anything can and probably will happen.  Since he was looking to fish PI, he will likely run into at least a few of them.

You sir need to research rather than offer these nonsensical ramblings.

I have personal pontoons for years. Pontoons have foot supports or pegs.  One never has to "blast their legs on undewater structure", you're confusing pontoons with float tubes once more.

"a heavy duty cordura cover over a rubber coated raft"  Huh?  What is that?  Rubber coated?  Don't see those on the waters as rubber cracks.  You want poly or better bladders covered by cordura.

Never, ever, have I heard of or seen a fish attack or bite a pontoon boat and blast a bladder and it is unlikely the mouth of a northern or muskie could come unjointed enough to broadside a pontoon.  I have caught several of those in a pontoon and never experienced the thrashing you describe. And, even if the almost impossible did occur, you have a second full pontoon and will not risk ones life any more than one would when your "skeeter' would when you forget to put in the drain plug!

It might be more helpful for questions to be answered in a positive manner rather than a negative.

His original question was:  Any recomendations??  Style of boat, size considerations, features Etc.

Did you even answer of those?

P.S.  Tell us of your "disastrous  situation" and how one could avoid that!
    post edited by kayak99 - 2008/01/15 14:23:56
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Personal Pontoon Boats 2008/01/15 14:39:21 (permalink)
    I answered his questions positively and informatively.  My bladder was broken by a musky in Tamarack lake (in the middle) while fighting.  Fortunately, there was a boat nearby that took me to shore.  I called the manufacturer and ordered a new bladder.  While fishing Lake Arthur several trips later, the other bladder inexplicably deflated (near shore so no big deal).  Talk to the guys who consistantly make trips to Ohio, Michigan and Indiana on Steelhead float trips.  Everyone of them has had to repair a deflated pontoon at one time or another.  As I said, I have nothing against toons but would buy a good one rather than ever use a midlevel one again (you get what you pay for).  Take a look at the website (option to a pontoon boat) TTFO posted and the item he is talking about.  Indeed you do sit with your legs completely in the water, much like a float tube that looks like a raft.  The photos show guys using it in streams with large boulders.  FYI, I do own a kayak and use it for fishing and waterfowling, so I am no rookie there either.  You started with the negativity and I did not appreciate it.  Go flip your kayak in a swamp somewhere and take a deep breath.  It is a shame that reading comprehension in our country has degraded to the level you have taken it to.  I wish you luck with your high school diploma.  How is that for negative?

TTFO, I apologize for allowing another thread to go down hill.  I will be done with this and wish you the best with your purchase.   
    post edited by griffon - 2008/01/15 14:46:16
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    RE: Personal Pontoon Boats 2008/01/15 17:55:57 (permalink)

You started with the negativity and I did not appreciate it.  Go flip your kayak in a swamp somewhere and take a deep breath.  It is a shame that reading comprehension in our country has degraded to the level you have taken it to.  I wish you luck with your high school diploma.  How is that for negative?

Kinda the answer I was expecting.  When you know what you are talking about and are willing to help others rather than respondoing as you do, maybe you can try again.

Until then... (fill in the blank yourself)
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Personal Pontoon Boats 2008/01/15 18:46:23 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: TTFO

Thanks for all the input.  I have thought about a yak but have storage concerns and price issues.  I was going to get my father one too... so that's double the expence.  The Presque Isle useage would mainly be the lagoons, marina areas, misery bay not so much the open bay but your safty tips are greatly appreciated Griffon.  Anyone else have recommendations??

I can tell you from experience, a pontoon on open water when the wind kicks up can be dangerous. I think they are better suited for rivers and SMALL lakes.

I have a Madison from Dave Scadden.... my advise, you get what you pay for....

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    steelheadman28
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 393
    RE: Personal Pontoon Boats 2008/01/15 19:10:03 (permalink)
    There is a new kayak is the L.L. Bean fishing magazine. It is shaped in original form like a kayak but it has stabilizers that you can pull out. This makes you able to stand and like it says have stabilizers.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Personal Pontoon Boats 2008/01/16 12:37:08 (permalink)
    If its deep enough for a float tube its deep enough for a drift boat.

I was gonna buy one just to float the river, figured to hell with that, just get a boat, youll pay about 3 times as much but maintained properly will last a lot longer. You cant pop a boat . Every review I read about personal pontoons turned me away fast!
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    RE: Personal Pontoon Boats 2008/01/17 19:52:30 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jlh42581

I was gonna buy one just to float the river, figured to hell with that, just get a boat, youll pay about 3 times as much but maintained properly will last a lot longer. You cant pop a boat . Every review I read about personal pontoons turned me away fast!

Having owned several craft and having fished with many who have pontoons I have yet to hear of anyone popping a bladder but it is possible which is why patch kits are made.

I did know of one pontoon boat sold by Sams Club that used inner tube type rubber as bladders. After a few years they cracked and had to be replaced by better ones.  The non-rubber bladders made these days are much more improved. (Then again one has to buy quality if one wants longevity.)

I have had my Dave Scadden boat for several years and it's as good now as it was new.

One feature I like is that it's light  I can grab the footholds and, lifted on my back, I can carry the pontoon out of the water and onto my truck or trailer. (I am in my 50's)  I can also break the entire setup down into a large box and/or put it into the trunk of a car if need be then inflate it later. Completely setup and inflated it fits nicely in my shed.

Not as durable as most hard boats but definately more portable. And, like the take off of kayaks in the past few years, they seem to be more popular.  Every year I have people on the bank asking me where they can get one, so I stop and give them the information they seek.

Its all in what you makes you happy though.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9686
    RE: Personal Pontoon Boats 2008/01/28 10:57:16 (permalink)
    Xstream Fishing
    Novice Angler
    RE: Personal Pontoon Boats 2008/01/28 15:42:40 (permalink)
    Sweet!

X

FISH ON, GOTTA RUN!
    flyman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 148
    RE: Personal Pontoon Boats 2008/01/29 09:59:46 (permalink)
    Love my toon. though wish I could get it out more!

Al
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: Personal Pontoon Boats 2008/01/29 17:22:37 (permalink)
    Nice toon, Al! ....(remember Al Toon the wide receiver that played for the NY Jets years ago?) LOL!

I like my kayak alot, but I also wish I would get it out more often.

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: