Sinking line?

Author
Indyflier
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points: 0
2013/08/21 16:26:56 (permalink)

Sinking line?

I have only fished a floating line on the Erie tribs.  If I needed to get a streamer or egg pattern down, I just added split shot to the leader/tippet.  I only did this because that was what someone recommended to me when I first started using a fly rod.  I only get the chance to fish in Erie a couple of times a year, so I am a novice and don't have the chance to experiment much.  I curious, though, if using a sinking line is a better alternative to using split shot (or similar weights) to the leader/tippet material.  Thanks in advance.

4 Replies Related Threads

Steel Junkie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 297
    Re:Sinking line? 2013/08/21 16:34:51 (permalink)
    No need for sinking line on Erie tribs of PA for the type of fishing you described
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    Re:Sinking line? 2013/08/21 23:45:00 (permalink)
    What he said.

A full floating fly line is simply the right tool for the task.  Not saying you can't use a sinking line, but you're only going to be causing yourself headaches without any payoff at all.

The only place I could see it maybe working is fishing the mouths by stripping streamers, and even there, only a short sinking leader, not a sink tip or sinking line...and even in that situation, you're still probably better off with a weighted fly and a full floater.
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re:Sinking line? 2013/08/22 08:52:35 (permalink)
    and don't forget, your fluorocarbon leader and tippet will help to get that fly down.
    bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2515
    Re:Sinking line? 2013/08/22 12:28:51 (permalink)
    I never use sinking line and very rarely fly line on the tribs. I usually dredge the bottom with egg patterns, nymphs, etc. I spool my fly reel with 8# golden Stren line. Tie on a small barrel swivil then a length of tippet, usually 6X. Add some small split shot to sink my offering and that's about it. Never saw much need to over complicate the situation. 

"Life's meaning has always eluded me and I guess it always will. But I love it just the same."
    Quote: E.B. White

Jump to: