need to replace treble hooks, help.

Author
eye crosser
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 119
  • Reward points: 0
2013/07/27 19:08:01 (permalink)

need to replace treble hooks, help.

Been doing a lot of trolling with hot n tots but for some reason the trebles that came on the lures aren't holding the fish the way I like.  I set the hook hard but the treble hooks are just barely penterating the fishes mouth.  Don't have trouble catching other species of fish with the hooks on the lures just the eyes. 

Yesterday was a prime example.  Landed 5 eyes between 18-24 inches but had 2 larger fish on that both came off at the boat.  It wasn't me having any slack in the line , it was tight all the way in and the motor was in neutral.  Brought in 4 large cats  and a largemouth and had no problem at all.

Checked the barbs under a magnifying glass and the small barb was bent close on 3 different lures.  Looking for  a much better hook.  Tried the Eagle Claw and Mustad and they din't fare any better.  Any suggestions?

15 Replies Related Threads

FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    Re:need to replace treble hooks, help. 2013/07/27 19:13:27 (permalink)
    Owner makes a good hook.
    rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2143
    Re:need to replace treble hooks, help. 2013/07/27 20:03:32 (permalink)
    Gomakatsu.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    Mags00
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 593
    Re:need to replace treble hooks, help. 2013/07/30 22:18:20 (permalink)
    The KVD Mustad elite trebles seem to get great reviews from a lot of people around the web on other forums I browse...  Storm uses VMC hooks I believe since being a Normark subsidiary...  I myself have had to change a few trebles out on some of my lures and I avoid Eagle Claw for every kind of hook, Lazer are alright (although made by Eagle Claw) they seem a better quality.   Maybe try the KVD Elites or even Gamakatsu or Owner.  I myself have always been a fan of Gamakatsu hooks for their sharpness and strength and how sharp the point stays...
    peeta08
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 104
    Re:need to replace treble hooks, help. 2013/08/10 22:50:09 (permalink)
    Gamakatsu all the way. First thing I do with new crankbaits and top water baits I use Bassin, is change the hooks to Gamakatsu's.

eye crosser
    Avid Angler
    Re:need to replace treble hooks, help. 2013/08/11 07:26:43 (permalink)
    Well I changed to a large rhook  in the Owner brand and have only lost one fish since.  And it was just barely hooked..  It was a small muskie so I didn't really care.  Had 41 hook ups last week and landed all of them but the one.  Now if I could get away from the catfish it would make me a happy camper.  Found that where the cats were the eyes were in the same vicinity.  Maybe a new summer time pattern.  Never caught so many eyes this late in the year.
    post edited by eye crosser - 2013/08/11 07:27:55
    Mags00
    Expert Angler
    Re:need to replace treble hooks, help. 2013/08/11 11:18:46 (permalink)
    peeta08

Gamakatsu all the way. First thing I do with new crankbaits and top water baits I use Bassin, is change the hooks to Gamakatsu's.

Only problem with this is sometimes, Not always it mostly depends on the brand you can throw the action off with the wrong trebles, some lures that are suspending become higher (shallower) with certain brands where as others go lower (sink) with certain hooks...  Normally it's not totally noticeable but in a few instances like your higher end USDM lures it becomes a factor...  

Alot of times it comes down to personal preference, some guys are owner fans others mustad and gamakatsu.  I have noticed and I don't know if it was the batch I had or it's becoming a trend that Gamakatsu Octo Circles are becoming softer or it was just the batch of hooks I had, I bent 2 out of the same pack, one on a Musky and one on a catfish.  I use those for live bait due to lower "gut" hook rate, needless to say I have used Mustad Demon Perfect Circles nonoffset and offset and haven't been more pleased...  But, I probably will continue to use Gamakatsu since the Mustad are harder to come by and I can only get them really at Cabela's...
    post edited by Mags00 - 2013/08/11 11:22:34
    eye crosser
    Avid Angler
    Re:need to replace treble hooks, help. 2013/08/13 14:55:10 (permalink)
    I did notice that the lures were running a little deeper with the same amount of line out.  One other thng I had to do was use 2 differcnt size trebles.   If I used the same size hook they would hook each other.  I put a larger one on the rear and it's working much better.   
    Homeboy50
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 32
    Re:need to replace treble hooks, help. 2013/08/14 11:17:28 (permalink)
    SET TO HARD..... YOU ARE RIPPING THE MOUTH!!!!!

FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re:need to replace treble hooks, help. 2013/08/14 11:32:06 (permalink)
    Did you even read the original post? He was trolling, the hooks weren't penetrating, and the points were bent...
    Mags00
    Expert Angler
    Re:need to replace treble hooks, help. 2013/08/17 09:43:18 (permalink)
    eye crosser

I did notice that the lures were running a little deeper with the same amount of line out.  One other thng I had to do was use 2 differcnt size trebles.   If I used the same size hook they would hook each other.  I put a larger one on the rear and it's working much better.   

Never really had to use 2 different sizes, then again I don't troll because...  Sadly I don't have a boat yet... lol  But, what brand did you happen to go with and what lure?  (Just curious) 
    eye crosser
    Avid Angler
    Re:need to replace treble hooks, help. 2013/08/18 10:50:01 (permalink)
    I went with the Owner brand on hot n tots.  I cast out as far as I can than let out some line.  Have it down to where I can get with in a foot or less of the depth where I want to run.  Inside pole is a 5 footer, cast out and 4 sweeps of the rod will get me in the 13 foot range.  Out side pole is 7 footer cast and 3 sweeps in same range.  I use 10# test.  Trolling at 2.2-2.4 mph on the gps.

I have found a pattern that has held up pretty well.  It's only taken me 30+ years to find out where the eyes went in the summer.  The fish are very selective in the color of the lure and especially the depth.  Miss the depth by a foot and you'll go fish less.

I also have found out that they all must have clocks.  There is brief period each morning where you can catch fish in a very short period of time.   Miss it by a half hour and you'll go home with out any fish.   Since I changed hook size I haven't lost any fish.
    Mags00
    Expert Angler
    Re:need to replace treble hooks, help. 2013/08/19 17:23:54 (permalink)
    eye crosser
    I also have found out that they all must have clocks.  There is brief period each morning where you can catch fish in a very short period of time.   Miss it by a half hour and you'll go home with out any fish.   Since I changed hook size I haven't lost any fish.

This ^ Is so very very true...  I call it the 2 magic hour windows... One in the A.M and one in the P.M.  Both right when the sun is either rising or setting...  I mean it's not hard to catch walleye but to catch nice ones consistently is a different story...  I have noticed if you catch a couple small ones, move on if even a 100yrd away...  They tend to pack up that way... 

Also, PM sent.  To you Eye...
    Fish5000
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 694
    Re:need to replace treble hooks, help. 2013/08/24 22:40:30 (permalink)
    Re: eye crosser's original post; I tried something years ago and still do it. I had noticed that when I was a bit slow setting the hook, the fish was firmly lip hooked when I reeled it in. It seemed the hook didn't need set as the fish pretty much set it themselves. Maybe it was because of how aggressive the fish are when pursuing a trolled lure, maybe because of the speed of the troll or perhaps for some combination of reasons. In any event, I don't bother setting the hook while trolling and don't seem to lose any more fish than when I did set the hook. I wouldn't be surprised if this will be an unpopular idea, but it's what I have observed. When vertical jigging, plastic worming, using live bait, stick baits, top water baits etc... I set the hook.
    Fish5000
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 694
    Re:need to replace treble hooks, help. 2013/08/26 16:34:12 (permalink)
    As an afterthought, I've experimented on some lures by replacing the treble hook with a single hook, in particular topwater lures. My reasoning: I read a few times from different sources that it's easier for a fish to "throw" the lure when trebles are utilized as opposed to single hooks. I suppose this should have been a different thread, so I apologize about that!
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    Re:need to replace treble hooks, help. 2013/08/27 16:14:08 (permalink)
    +1 really no need to set ahook while trolling. Just hold the rod up high and reel it quick the first few cranks and you're good. I NEVER set the hook even a little trolling for crappies, you'll lose em almost every time.
    Jump to: