Personal Best

Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
2013/07/27 09:52:15 (permalink)

Personal Best

Hey folks, while I know I'm a new guy here , the discussions about gear and such have been very good.. Folks have been sharing their views and opinions well..
My thought is about sharing some of the things we all love and are proud of to display..
So if this is something you folks may think is a good idea and willing to participate in then that would be AWESOME !! If we could put up a picture of our personal best catches of each species we fish for and not just a bunch of random pic's from the same species please: )
They need not be the biggest, or the most bad azz fish, but things like the beauty of the surroundings, the way it was caught that might have made it the most special, or yes just plain ole Biggest & bad azz fish ever caught..
Please remember, this is not  to be a competition by any means , just sharing our experiences that make us happy with others..
Since there is no real topic or place to put this thread, here is where I figured it could be enjoyed by folks who have been sharing good info..

So What you think ? Good idea or Bad idea ?? I'm cool with what ever ..
Peace & Tuna

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen

7 Replies Related Threads

George Yang
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Personal Best 2013/09/23 06:10:35 (permalink)
    Congratulations,guy,you write the record for your self.new stage,new start.keep on going!
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re: Personal Best 2013/09/24 07:48:09 (permalink)
    Decided this was going to be the year I was going to learn the ins and outs of walleye trolling.  Was going to concentrate specifically on these fish and not go out after them half-assed after perch fishing.  Invested in lead core, new trolling rods and reels, and printed the dive curves for dipsies and the lures I'd be using and kept them on the boat.  Tried 'em late afternoon/early evening and early morning.  Learned alot and put 90+ walleye in the boat August thru half of September.  Not a ton, but not bad for only getting out once a week for 6 or 7 weeks.  Couldn't be happier with the outcome. Also learned I'd rather clean 6 walleye than 30 perch.
    TheBlueLagoon
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 802
    Re: Personal Best 2013/09/24 09:45:34 (permalink)
    Pike that's some good work! glad you had some success. I agree with you on the cleaning 6 eyes over 30 perch, but I must admit the taste of perch is well worth the time in cleaning.

Got Walleye???
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    Re: Personal Best 2013/09/24 16:58:16 (permalink)
    thanks blue, but you know, perch does not taste the same to me now as what it did years ago,  could be the adult mouth, alcohol, cigs, cleaner waters? who knows. even prep 'em like we did when i was a kid, scale em, keep the skins on, roll in yellow cornmeal and fry in crisco.  still not doing it for me. really don't care if i catch another perch.  really miss that flavor i grew up with.  my neighbor makes walleye cakes out of his eyes. got some recipes off the net and the next ones i thaw out, i'm breaking out the food processor, cause these things were good!
    bcain
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    Re: Personal Best 2013/09/24 22:40:30 (permalink)
    IMO, Walleye is the best tasting freshwater fish that I have ever had. I have had bluegill, trout, perch and catfish. Catfish are a close second and if eaten down South, I think catfish may be better. Those Southerners know how to prepare catfish.
    Fish5000
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 694
    Re: Personal Best 2013/10/01 20:06:44 (permalink)
     I agree with Bcain as walleye being the best tasting fish I've ever had, but I have to add one more thing to sub-categorize it - it's the best tasting freshwater fish I've ever had. Don't get me wrong, I love perch, bluegill. sauger and saugeyes. Catfish if done right are great, but for me, nothing tops a walleye. Not too crazy about trout and in fact, I give away all of the trout I catch, already cleaned for someone. Everybody has always appreciated that! I will eat steelhead, but only when they are smoked, preferably with Cajun Seasoning and even then I don't eat a lot of it because of the advisories. And once again, everyone is entitled to their beliefs as what tastes best as it partly depends on one's taste buds, but probably more so on socio-cultural factors. Those are extremely difficult to change or ignore. Sorry Hot Tuna, it will take me awhile to dig up photos as I do what many people do, keep them in a shoebox after awhile. That's something I really need to get started on and separate them, but there are years of photos. Naturally it sounds like it's not high on my list of things to do! To answer your question Hot Tuna, I think you have a GREAT idea! ! !
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    Re: Personal Best 2013/10/09 21:13:18 (permalink)
    you know, when we go to manatoulin island ontario for northerns we would always break off and troll small mepps for what the canadians called "rainbows".  never knew what these were as they didn't look like any rainbow trout we'd ever seen.  we found out they were actually 10 to 12 inch steelhead.  they raised them in huge pens up there, and inevitably, otters and other animals chew thru the nets and release tons of these fish.  at this size, these steelhead filleted, floured and fried are delicious. 
    Jump to: