Wabitts,wabitts, wabitts everywhere.

Author
Big Tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1882
  • Reward points: 0
2013/07/06 07:03:39 (permalink)

Wabitts,wabitts, wabitts everywhere.

I have not seen the number of rabbit like this in years. There's always 5-7 adults and several jr. models from 4 inches to half grown in my back yard. I'm sure glad to have a young beagle dog this year. Big bad Bella is a super nice running dog. I cut her loose on one every morning and evening. She been running a rabbit like she's tied to it. Her runs average runs last 15-20 minutes and Mr bunny is back to me. I hope some make it till the late season,all Jan. and Feb. to kill bunnies. Bella is my answer to the mild winters we've had the last few years. So you know this year will be super cold and have a ton on ice.(I'm a big ice fisherman) Either way I'm going to have fun this winter. I can't wait.

19 Replies Related Threads

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    Re:Wabitts,wabitts, wabitts everywhere. 2013/07/12 13:49:44 (permalink)
    Probably came in from Canada on a fake ****.
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re:Wabitts,wabitts, wabitts everywhere. 2013/07/12 21:07:26 (permalink)
    Just came in the house,I cut Bella loose on adult rabbit,she brought it around twice,then lost it or holed it. Anyway she gave up on it after 1: 45 minutes. One hot tougne hanging hound dog.
    pheasant tail 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 401
    Re:Wabitts,wabitts, wabitts everywhere. 2013/07/12 22:34:36 (permalink)
    Perhaps one of the finest pleasures in life........ hunting with a hound.
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re:Wabitts,wabitts, wabitts everywhere. 2013/07/15 21:39:29 (permalink)
    I can't agree more. I've had some great hounds and well some not so great. I would put this Bella dog as a "Great track dog"very steady not many break downs in the chase. Not quite the jump dog yet but I hope she improves in that department. I'm like a little kid all over,I can wait to roll some bunnies.
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    Re:Wabitts,wabitts, wabitts everywhere. 2013/08/05 00:26:58 (permalink)
    that is great tuna, im really happy to hear you got a good one. she will come around to jumping them for ya, give her a little time, or get her around an older dog that is good at getting them up.  i love running beagles
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re:Wabitts,wabitts, wabitts everywhere. 2013/08/07 01:28:08 (permalink)
    Cut big bad Bella loose,she pounded an adult rabbit for 1 hour 20 minutes,saw Mr bugs three times, two times back to the jump area,then he ran big ,huge almost out of hearing but she brougt him back,she never had a break down always steady barking three short break downs of a minute or two and back on the trail.
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    Re:Wabitts,wabitts, wabitts everywhere. 2014/01/05 19:27:59 (permalink)
      How is the bunny chaser doing? Boy do I miss hunting with beagles.
    pheasant tail 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 401
    Re:Wabitts,wabitts, wabitts everywhere. 2014/01/07 22:03:36 (permalink)
    I also miss hunting over a good hound. I've taken the boy out a few times since Christmas kicking around. There seem to be quite a few bunnies around. We've not been fortunate enough to connect, but had our opportunities. I would really like to him to experience a day afield over a good beagle. 
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re:Wabitts,wabitts, wabitts everywhere. 2014/01/12 13:34:05 (permalink)
    I'm back,I've had some puter trouble. Bella is a super little hound,I hunted her 3 days after Xmas on nice days with snow on the ground,she ran 12 rabbits 9 killed 2 missed and holed,and 1 big huge buck ran a double on her and got her all messed up. All and all well please with her,she has gears when scenting conditions are right she rolls with plenty of speed,on tough scenting ( frozen ice and crusty snow) a bit slower but still can do it. I only have ONE PROBLEM lack of bunny spots. If I had 20 spots that held rabbits no doubt I could kill 30-40  rabbits,but its just not about the killing,I love too hear her pound the bunny.She was in heat in Dec. so she should be in heat sometime in July. Looking for the right stud dog(same blood line and  a bluetick dog would be nice) If eveything goes will have pups for sale,but I'm keeping 2 females.
    post edited by Big Tuna - 2014/01/12 21:36:19
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re:Wabitts,wabitts, wabitts everywhere. 2014/01/15 20:03:35 (permalink)
    Hunted today with my son and his friend,Bella ran 4 and three died.All 3 where big buck woods rabbits.The other one ran itself into a corner of sheet tin metal and Bella was within a foot of the rabbit,screaming to the high heavens. My son reached in and hand grab the rabbit,then released the lucky fellow. It made a 50 yard dash to a barn foundation.My sons friend bagged a nice adult grouse also.Had fun but the hunt was a little to hilly for this old man,my knees are hurting tonight. It's not like old times but its better than doing nothing.Bella was a bloody mess after her chases through the red briars,her tail was red and her ears where tore up.I just love to hear her pound those bunnies.
    beaglehead
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re:Wabitts,wabitts, wabitts everywhere. 2014/01/26 20:57:36 (permalink)
    I'm new to this sight. Got on for fishing info mainly. Thought I'd check the hunting forum out. I don't have any Shorts dogs, but I got 2 real good males.4& 2 yrs old. My oldest came from Fc Eutsey's Cool Hand Luke , and the youngest is a cousin. Both run real clean and really push a rabbit. I don't trial, just hunt and am looking for another male pup. If you have any male pups you'd wanna sale from your breeding I'd really be interested. Hard to find a good blood line if you aren't trialing dogs. I know a little bit about the Russell Creek dogs and their reputation speaks for itself. Let me know.
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re:Wabitts,wabitts, wabitts everywhere. 2014/01/28 08:03:54 (permalink)
    Hey beaglehead, I'm still looking for the right stud dog.I'll tell you a little about my brag dog (lol) Bella, Her Great Granddad is FC Russell Cr. Grim Reaper,he has produce some great dogs.Her father was out of Reaper (Blueroc) on his papers,mother out of Big Meadows bloodline here in Pa. Big meadows dogs are always bred well. The beeder I got her from just hunts and want good to great dogs. Bella is a true 15 inch dog,does nothing wrong, clean on the track,very few checks and when she does have one it's not long,her speed is controlled by scenting conditions, she pounded a rabbit on wet snow one day (big buck) and was 40 yds behind him.Then I seen her walk the line over ice and frozen snow. I'm not a trialer but know some and they think she would finish in SPO format.I just pleasure hunt and run her to listen to the chase. She wants nothing to do with deer.She ran a bunny this fall past two deer that where bedded and just gave them a look,and right back on the bunny. I have never run her with another dog,just solo she got no help from anybody just her.Her litter mates where mostly all true bluetick hounds,she has a brown head and black saddle white legs covered with heavy ticking.She's not a jump dog yet ( I've had a couple of great one's ) so I'm always compairing her to them (not fair) to her but I know what a jump dogs is. I'm more than pleased with her in her first full season. I have not been out for two weeks because of the cold,but it looks good the the final 3 weeks of the season. I'll be posting more about Bella and would be happy sell a pup to a guy like you that knows dogs. Thanks for your comments,good running, Tuna
    beaglehead
    New Angler
    Re:Wabitts,wabitts, wabitts everywhere. 2014/01/28 09:39:31 (permalink)
    Thank you, I hope you find the right stud dog for her. Sounds like you got a real good female. We need to get a few above freezing afternoons. I haven't hunted for about 2 weeks myself. Weather is supposed to break, we'll get em' the last 3 weeks. I have the same problem ad you and a lot of guys- not enough spots. Seems like before I could put the dogs in the truck, drive 5 minutes, and be hunting. Now with building, gas well construction, and bicycle trails I gotta go further and further. Oh well, whatever it takes. Nothing better than hearing the dogs bring one full circle! Good hunting.
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re:Wabitts,wabitts, wabitts everywhere. 2014/02/03 21:44:17 (permalink)
    Hunted Sat. 40's wet snow rabbits everywhere,Nobody wanted to go,just me and Bella . She had 6 runs,three died on there first circle,three to the same barn foundation holed. Got to leave some for seed. Going Tues..more fun I hope. Times running out.
    beaglehead
    New Angler
    Re:Wabitts,wabitts, wabitts everywhere. 2014/02/04 12:56:14 (permalink)
    Got out on Monday,we ran 2 straight to the holes must have known weather was coming. Hopefully this freezing rain gets outta here in a hurry so I can get a couple more good days in.
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re:Wabitts,wabitts, wabitts everywhere. 2014/02/20 22:10:18 (permalink)
    It's been a while,after a late morning rain,Bella and I took off for bun bun land,the smooth little hound ran slower on the still deep wet snow but got the job done,3 for 3. Three runs,three shots and three bunnies for the pot. Sat. the last day,but still got I more week in Ohio.I just talk the a orchard owner in Ohio that welcomes me to kill every rabbit on his land,told me that the rabbits just about killed all his first year apple trees,so it looks like Bella's and I are going to Ohio next week.
    Big Tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re:Wabitts,wabitts, wabitts everywhere. 2014/02/22 18:03:18 (permalink)
    Last day bust, I would have thought rabbits would be everywhere but not the case,first spot total bust,no runs.Second spot not much better one run and one done,my son shot it. No tracks in snow,no bunny poop,no chewed saplings,SPELLS NO BUNNIES.Oh well had a great first year with Bella dog. Looking foward to running her in March and getting pups off her this summer. I'll have a three dog pack next year,it's fun running those little hounds.
    #poundpound
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re:Wabitts,wabitts, wabitts everywhere. 2015/11/16 21:55:14 (permalink)
    Anyone out there looking for an awesome rabbit hound? I have a 5 year old female that needs a good home.My work schedule sucks and I won't have time to even run her.She is a rabbit hunters dream!
    #poundpound
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 24
    Re:Wabitts,wabitts, wabitts everywhere. 2015/11/21 13:54:25 (permalink)
    Beagle is sold!
    Jump to: