Rod holder setup...

Author
NorthBay Maxx
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points: 0
2013/06/28 09:59:11 (permalink)

Rod holder setup...

I’m looking at rigging my boat (Trophy 2352) up for some trolling this summer and have a couple questions for those in the know. I’m planning to start out with just a couple of flatlines out, then I’ll incorporate some Dipsy’s in the mix over the summer and finally some downriggers, likely next season for those.
Anyway, the Big Jon rodholders…how are the singles mounted to the gunwale? I assume there will be some drilling required, I just want to make sure if I change the setup to pedestal mounted Big Jon holders or downriggers in the future I don’t have holes all over the gunwale.

Which one is better in your opinion? The single multi-set rod holder... [link=http://www.myfortune3cart.com/BigJonSports2011/product.cgi?group=824&product=826]http://www.myfortune3cart...up=824&product=826

Or the single multi axis rod holder...
http://www.myfortune3cart...up=688&product=797

[/link]
Do either of them require some sort of pedestal or base plate to be mounted or can they be mounted directly to the gunwale?
I do plan to get some double rod holders later on, I just want to get something going with a couple of singles for right now. And add as I go…heck, I don’t have enough lures to justify more than a couple rods out right now anyway. I’m sure that will be way different by the end of summer though.

Thanks for the input,
Steve

post edited by NorthBay Maxx - 2013/06/29 21:38:13

11 Replies Related Threads

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    Re:Rold holder setup... 2013/06/28 14:57:18 (permalink)
    Forget the flat lines, start with Dipsy's.... Forget the riggers, do boards... Dipsy rods are as easy or easier to run than flat lines...

Don't cheap out on the rod holders, do you have a rail on your boat? I have 4 mounted on the rail and 5 flush mounts plus rod holders on my rarely used downriggers. I don't like the Big John rod holders but maybe someone else has more experience with them. I would recommend looking at as many boats as you can to get an idea of what you need and where you should put them...

Curiosity killed the cat, but for awhile I was a suspect.
    Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 445
    Re:Rold holder setup... 2013/06/28 15:16:43 (permalink)

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
    freshwaterdrumR
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 603
    Re:Rold holder setup... 2013/06/28 15:21:25 (permalink)
    If you plan on fishing a lot, get a track system!!!  Get a track down each side of your boat.  Then you can start out with two and add more, or switch brands!  I've gone through 3 or 4 different types of rod holders in the last few years and if it wasnt for the versatility of the track I would have holes drilled all over the place!!! 
    Cisco/traxstech/berts all sell the track and rod holders to slide in and out. (The price is about the same for all 3, cisco is top notch though) You can buy adapter plates for any other rod holders too.
    http://www.ciscofishingsy...hop/track-systems-5194
    eyedreamn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 368
    Re:Rold holder setup... 2013/06/28 16:47:29 (permalink)
    Im with drumR. Dont bother drilling for single holders. You will have 0 flexibility. If you mount tracks to the gunnels you can do anything. Your able to move the holders around for different types of fishing.

Riggers, rod holders, rod trees the list is endless on what you can slide into the tracks.
    eyedreamn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 368
    Re:Rold holder setup... 2013/06/28 16:49:51 (permalink)
    Im with drumR. Dont bother drilling for single holders. You will have 0 flexibility. If you mount tracks to the gunnels you can do anything. Your able to move the holders around for different types of fishing.

Riggers, rod holders, rod trees the list is endless on what you can slide into the tracks.

I dont really care for the triple and quad pedestal mounts. Sometimes I prefer some seperstion between the holders.

I have 6 feet of track on each side. If I got a full crew im eating up all 6 feet....
    chasmo
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re:Rold holder setup... 2013/06/28 18:02:35 (permalink)
    Your Trophy probably has flush mount rod holders. We bought the following on ebay. Set up on a 2002 WA that has 4 holders installed. ( thinking of installing 2 more)
    4 flush mount gimbel brackets - drilled additional holes to mount craigs rod holders
    2 cannon low profile swivel mounts (mounted onto 2 brackets above)
    2 cannon slide bases (same as bases furnished with 2 cannon manual down riggers we already had) we installed 2 on the swivels and 2 on the other brackets
    2 craigs double holders and bases.
    6 Roberts holders and bases.
    I made 6 plastic lumber bases that slide in and out of the cannon slide mounts. Used a router table to make prototypes. (Am looking for company to manufacture) Paid $5 at Lowes for blemished 1"x6"x12' Trex deck board. Have enough to make about 20 more. Only scraped about 5 or 6 making the ones we do have.
    Drilled and tapped 2 of the plastic bases to accept the craigs bases in leui  of the cannon bases.
    Drilled and tapped 4 other bases to accept cabelas/Robert rod holders.
    We now have the capability to change from craigs holders, to Roberts holders to down riggers to what else we can think of with out drilling a hole in the boat and all can be taken on and off in seconds. riggers can be swivel as needed.
    The bases I made work fine but I think a plastic resin injection molded insert would be better.
    I will post photos of components next week when I have access to the boat again.

We have met the enemy and it is US.... Pogo 1970 

pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re:Rold holder setup... 2013/06/28 19:15:16 (permalink)
    If you're going to be trolling mainly for walleye you catch alot more off planer boards than downriggers. If I was going to choose to update my boat I'd be putting a planer board mast first, then the downriggers as I could afford them, and put the downriggers on swivel bases, this way you can leave them on all season and not have to worry about dropping them in the water when you're ready to use them. I have a set of Big Jon triples on one side strictly for planer board rods, and a set of BJ doubles on the other for an umbrella rig and a dipsy rod.  Even tho I have 2 downriggers, I usually just run the one on the side with the planer boards.
    chasmo
    New Angler
    Re:Rold holder setup... 2013/06/28 23:03:20 (permalink)
    Just talked to my son and we are thinking of putting a flush mount holder in the anchor locker hatch cover to allow us to mount the Big Jon mast on another cannon gimbel base. Bought the riggers and craigs holders as a package  deal for $300, took the riggers to get the rod holders. Have had a Big Jon planer mast and 2 wylie boards since Sol Neff Sports went out of business in the late 90's. Paid $150 for them back then. Used twice at Raystown and put away till now. We just started fishing Erie again this past fall.

Beginning to master the wife's purchase philosophy, its not what I paid for it that matters, its what I saved when I bought it.

NorthBay Maxx
    New Angler
    Re:Rold holder setup... 2013/06/29 21:43:55 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the replies...I have some decisions to make and I need to try to picture how I want to set the boat up for it. I'm sure I'll want to change it after a while, you never get stuff like this right the first time.

My Trophy does have two flush mounts on both sides of the boat, 4 total. I've tyhought about just getting some rod holders that can be mounted in there. I believe they are Perko flush mounts. I may have a little extra change to spend on this set up after trhis weekend, so I have to get a game plan put together and get stuff ordered. The bad thing is I won't get to play with any of it til we get back from vacation.

Anybody have pictures of their setup, that may give me some ideas too. Or is there a thtread already started somewhere with that?

Thanks,
    Steve
    chasmo
    New Angler
    Re:Rold holder setup... 2013/06/30 14:33:26 (permalink)
    I will get photos next weekend if all goes well and I can make up to Girard.
    I bought almost everything on ebay and saved at least 30%.

NorthBay Maxx
    New Angler
    Re:Rold holder setup... 2013/07/01 07:19:10 (permalink)
    Thanks Chasmo...looking forward to those pics when you get a chance. Anybody else have some pics of their setup?

By the way, what's the deal with the BJ rod holders. I notice some guys on here don't care for them, and that's fine, I'm just wondering why? What issues do they have that guys don't like? It seems like the BJ are the only holders catching a bad rap from guys on here. I haven't bought anything yet, but I'm chomping at the bit.

I had to drive to Lancaster yesterday and stopped at the Bass Pro in Harrisburg...man what a disappointment. They didn't have any of the reels I wanted. Couldn't find the rods. No dipsy divers or anything remotely close. No good quality landing nets, no trolling gear, etc. etc. etc. I bought a pack of flat sinkers and left. Guess that's why they call it BASS Pro shops and not Fisherman Pro Shops. Oh well, I'll just order from FishUSA when I've decided on everything.

Steve
    Jump to: