Helpful ReplyLearning The bait caster need some tips in tricks

Author
Projoe
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points: 0
2013/06/20 15:22:31 (permalink)

Learning The bait caster need some tips in tricks

I was wondering what type of techniques people use With there bait casters and open face reals. Right now I'm using Berkley Trilene big game mono green line  with both of my reals I have only been using the Texas Rig with my bait caster So any tips to improve will be helpful.

"Open face real"   My biggest problem is I'm so use to fishing with 2 sinkers swivel and a hook with bait on it then using some air to make the warm float  but this Techniq Would love some others tips to improve this  as well.
post edited by Projoe - 2013/06/21 17:36:13
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2074
Re:Learning The bait caster need some tips in tricks 2013/06/21 07:11:01 (permalink)
I'm confused... What exactly were you asking again?
XtopwaterkingX
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 211
Re:Learning The bait caster need some tips in tricks 2013/06/21 11:11:08 (permalink)
I think hes lookin for tactics an rigs to use to catch fish? I dunno
Projoe
New Angler
Re:Learning The bait caster need some tips in tricks 2013/06/21 12:51:29 (permalink)
yes I'm sorry most of wrote that way to Fast I was wondering what type of line in which baits to use with my bait caster medium action.
Also any other rigs too hook up with Night crawlers with a open face
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
Re:Learning The bait caster need some tips in tricks 2013/06/21 15:38:58 (permalink)

When I got started using a baitcaster, the biggest things people told me (that really rang true) were to judge whatever line you're using by diameter, not necessarily lb. test.  IIRC, I used 40# powerpro on mine, because the diameter was the proper size so that it wouldn't bind on itself.

If you're using a powerful braid like that, be sure to use a short mono or fluoro leader between your braided main line and terminal tackle.  Some guys like to add a micro swivel there too, others prefer a loop tied in the main line and a loop to loop connection.  Whatever you prefer.

Once you have yourself spooled up, string up your rod, tie a sinker similar to the average weight you plan to cast, and set your clutch such that it'll drop slowly to the ground.

When fishing, plan on a few backlashes until you get the hang of thumb control, and once you get to the point where you're using it without issues, back off the clutch little bits at a time until it gets nearly to free spool to increase your distance.
post edited by Admin - 2013/06/27 16:37:40
flyingmoles
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 494
Re:Learning The bait caster need some tips in tricks 2013/06/22 10:25:37 (permalink)
^^^ +1.
Especially the first paragraph.
Also, you may want to watch some youtube videos on the easiest way to untangle a bird's nest. Because they are going to happen and it is very easy to make the tangle worse. Knowing how to get a bird's nest out will keep you from cutting a lot of line off of your reel. If you plan to use braided line. First tie on a few feet of mono and then connect your braid on to that. If you don't, the braid can slide around the spool and you will not be able to reel your line in.
FishinGuy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2074
Re:Learning The bait caster need some tips in tricks 2013/06/22 11:46:41 (permalink)
Night crawlers and an open face (spinning reel) is easy. For bass just pinch the tip off the crawler(bout a quarter inch) and throw it away (fat end) run about a number 2 bait holder hook through the crawlers body and out the thick part (the small light colored ring). Put a split shot about a foot up the line or use it weightless. Throw it out and drag it back real slow with an occasional twitch and pause. You'll catch bass.
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
Re:Learning The bait caster need some tips in tricks 2013/06/24 10:50:13 (permalink)
flyingmoles
If you plan to use braided line. First tie on a few feet of mono and then connect your braid on to that. If you don't, the braid can slide around the spool and you will not be able to reel your line in.

This is good advice.

Another way to accomplish the same thing is to simply use a small piece of masking tape to tape the end of your braid to the spool.

This is what I did, and when I first heard this I was skeptical, until the person that suggested it explained: if you're in some sort of fishing situation where you're seeing the end of your line on your spool, something has gone horribly wrong (stuck in a prop, sucked into some sort of machinery, etc.), and in this situation, you'd probably rather have the end of the line pull off effortlessly, just so you can be free of whatever caused the situation, rather than tied to it, possibly losing your rod or damaging your reel.
Projoe
New Angler
Re:Learning The bait caster need some tips in tricks 2013/06/24 17:10:59 (permalink)
thanks Now All I need is a Good Combo for about $150. But remember I need a new Rod for my open face Real But would like a Decent bait caster I Would love a Extreme Rode 6.6". Only problem is I don't think GM sales Extreme bait caster combos Is the Abu Garcia A good starting out Combo? 

I mainly fish at the Peninsula in Erie and some local lakes For Small mouth bass Thanks I get paid this friday so allot of time to check out some deals Ty
post edited by Projoe - 2013/06/24 17:17:18
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9657
Re:Learning The bait caster need some tips in tricks 2013/06/25 09:59:20 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I did a little research on these through the years.  I have owned a few cheaper ones (mistake), an antique one, and a bunch for trolling, so have a little experience with using them.  I think the most important thing that I learned, was spend more on the reel than the rod.  At least to start out, then upgrade the rod if needed.  Supposedly, the difference between a good baitcasting reel and cheaper bait casting reel is huge, in comparison with spinning reels compared to cheaper models.  The better the reel, most likely, the less birdsnests.  I didn't make the plunge to the good reel as of yet, so going only by what I have read and experience with cheap/old ones.  A good baitcaster reel in the size that I wanted was around $150, I'm guessing for your needs, $100 would get you one.  You could get a decent rod for $50.

Another tip that I have read, is use thinner mono (10lb or so) to start.  Like said, you are going to birds nest, and if it comes to cutting, you can completely cut out 4-5 reels worth of mono to equal the cost of one for braid.  When you feel that you have the hang of it, switch to braid.

There is a knot pulling devise that you will need to pick up too.  Kind of like a knitting needle.  Check out Youtube for how to use, and a bunch of other tips on baitcasters in general.

Good luck.
Projoe
New Angler
Re:Learning The bait caster need some tips in tricks 2013/06/25 10:34:13 (permalink)
Last night I caught 2 Large mouth bass On a Plastic warm I was shocked  Guess they were spawning :) In good thing it only took me 10 mins to catch them.
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9657
Re:Learning The bait caster need some tips in tricks 2013/06/25 10:45:11 (permalink)
Plastic worms = candy to largemouth.  They could have been spawning, but it isn't the only time they love them.  If you think it is fun catching on plastic worms, try your hands on some topwater baits (poppers, jitter bugs, stick baits or buzz baits).  Catching fish on the top, no matter what species or how (lure or fly), is the most fun to me.
bcain
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 378
Re:Learning The bait caster need some tips in tricks 2013/06/25 12:46:12 (permalink)
Porktown, I agree with you 100%. I recently caught my first Largemouth on a topwater lure and I have to say it is the most fun. I actually see him come up and smash the lure. As for the baitcasters. I have an uncle that fishes a lot of the bass tournaments in Nashville TN where he lives and he gave me the same advice. He recommended buying an expensive reel and a less expensive rod if the cost is a problem. Once you learn how to use the reel, then you can upgrade the rod. I still haven't bought one either.
Projoe
New Angler
Re:Learning The bait caster need some tips in tricks 2013/06/26 15:11:57 (permalink)
ya Thanks I'm going do some Research on which lines to use were there is allot of Weeds trees in lily pads That is were I got my 15 inch bass. I'm going be buying more top water baits Monday.

One other thing Does Suffix braided 10 lb Float ? in would it be a good choice for were I fish like Lake Erie in Reservoirs?
post edited by Projoe - 2013/06/26 15:37:12
Jump to: