1st Power Auger

Author
fishinpreacher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 322
  • Reward points: 0
2013/05/23 10:28:45 (permalink)

1st Power Auger

I have been stashing away a little bit of money at a time for a while now hoping to be able to buy a power auger. Last year I had the money but some things came up and had to use that money for family stuff, but recently I have been able to put a good bit back and after I was able to sell the Outboard motor I had posted on here (Thanks Mr. Crappie for telling your friend about it!) I had enough to afford a 8.25" Strikemaster Magnum from Reed's (on sale for $329 free shipping) I ordered it on last Tuesday, and it was delivered this Tuesday.
I'm really excited! No more days of sore sholders from using the hand auger! So now I just have to be able to make it through the next 7 months or so till first ice.

8 Replies Related Threads

TheBlueLagoon
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 802
    Re:1st Power Auger 2013/05/23 16:57:06 (permalink)
    Congrats on the purchase! It always feels good to make a purchase after saving for it. Hope next winter brings lots of ice so you actually get to use it.

Got Walleye???
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1806
    Re:1st Power Auger 2013/06/19 10:32:43 (permalink)
    There ya go man it makes a world of difference!! Make sure you still take your hand auger though just in case. Electronics can be a sob, we have a strikemaster and love it
    Meatball
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 527
    Re:1st Power Auger 2013/11/06 21:14:29 (permalink)
    not to bust ur bubble but a gas auger is more of a pain than its worth but since u have one heres the deal...get all ur holes drilled when you arrive....those fish you're standin on wont take a lot to move....its a big lake no? make your noise and quit...............................................you get it?......................................quit with the noise...................................
    .................................................................................................................................................................
    ..........................start fishin................."I have a gas auger now im gonna drill holes"..........................................
    .................Quit drillin already and start fishing for crying out loud.....................................................................
    ......................an overly exaggerated post but I hope u get it............................................
    same goes with hand augers really.......use common sense............u wouldn't make that kind of noise in a boat would you?

"I feel sorry for the people who don't drink. When they wake up, that is the best they are going to feel all day"
                     -- Frank Sinatra
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    Re:1st Power Auger 2013/11/06 21:19:43 (permalink)
    Good point............................... thanks............................
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    Re:1st Power Auger 2013/11/09 20:22:54 (permalink)
    Well, I guess it may depend on what you are fishing for.When we fish for Trout,gills,perch & crappie,we almost always get bites right after getting the holes drilled & cleaned. I have that work from Twin Lakes to P.I. seems to me that the noise attracts them. Maybe it is different than clomping around on the ice,I don't know. An old timer showed me a trick where he would tap the bucket he sat on a few times & then got bit. Also I couldn't tell you how many fish that we have caught while trolling right behind a paddle-boat or even in the prop wash of a motor boat. Usually when ice fishing we use the run & gun method of drilling a few holes then fishing each one,then moving & doing it again til we hit them.   sam
    wirenut45
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 152
    Re:1st Power Auger 2013/11/13 08:31:43 (permalink)
    wouldn,t this be the theory behind rattle lures?
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1780
    Re:1st Power Auger 2013/11/13 11:30:01 (permalink)
    mr.crappie
    Well, I guess it may depend on what you are fishing for.When we fish for Trout,gills,perch & crappie,we almost always get bites right after getting the holes drilled & cleaned. I have that work from Twin Lakes to P.I. seems to me that the noise attracts them. Maybe it is different than clomping around on the ice,I don't know. An old timer showed me a trick where he would tap the bucket he sat on a few times & then got bit. Also I couldn't tell you how many fish that we have caught while trolling right behind a paddle-boat or even in the prop wash of a motor boat. Usually when ice fishing we use the run & gun method of drilling a few holes then fishing each one,then moving & doing it again til we hit them.   sam

I run & gun too. Drillin' doesn't seem to bother them much where I fish either. I'll drill about ten holes, spaced about ten feet apart and fish them all til I run out of fish. Then I move and do it again. Many times I've caught fish seconds after my buddy pulls the auger out of the hole.

I get your point though Meatball. Sometimes fish get skittish and others get annoyed if you drill 100 holes for no reason. Others get annoyed if you start drilling holes within 100 feet of them. Try to be courteous, but if you're not seeing fish on your flasher, don't be afraid to drill more holes.

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
    John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath
    fishinpreacher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    Re:1st Power Auger 2013/11/14 10:36:34 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advice Meatball. I get the point about being quite. Like some of the other guys have said I've had times when I got bit seconds after dropping down the hole, and I have also seen times when drilling a hole shut the action down in an area for a while. Like Slabdaddy said usually when I get to the area I intend to fish, I drill 7-8 holes spaced out  then bounce around from hole to hole with my flasher looking for fish. If I don't find them or I'm marking fish that just won't respond I move on and start the process all over again.
    I think the advantage that I'm looking forward to with the gas auger is that at times I have been reluctant to move because I haven't wanted to have to drill a bunch of new holes with the hand auger. With the power auger I think I'll be more willing to make a move and find the active fish.
    Jump to: