story to my bird

Author
smally hunter
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 287
  • Reward points: 0
2013/05/23 00:30:37 (permalink)

story to my bird

to start i wanna thank my buddy kris and my dad for this bird . without them i wouldda been going out blind on this day and well who knows how that would have ended ... 

The story begins on last tuesday night. i was out fishing i believe when i recieved a text from my friend at about 6 saying 2 gobbles on his side and one on the other side of the road .. he said the answered to his calling but werent to interested because there was lots of time in between gobbles and not much a change on distance ... afternoon hunts for us are mainly a sit and relax not a run an gun and certainly not a roost bust .. with a quiet phone i was quite sure not much was going on when i recieved another text at about 8 saying he heard one more gobble and that was it .. we kind of talked back and forth for a while getting more specific about the hunt when i finally dropped the question "hey do you mind if i go kill that bird tomorrow?" without hesitation my friend said yea and i immediately started the questions ... now we both have permission to hunt this property and really its more of a fall back if anything .. the layout is pretty simple with logging road winding uphill to a hidden field on the left and on the right some thick woods with lots of multiflora on the right. the information my friend gave me pretty much told me that the bird sounded like he was on the top of the hill just below the field on the left side.. i called my dad about 8 that night and told him we were good to go in the morning and that i had a bird pegged down all we gotta do is get em.. 

so that night i went to bed and hardly slept so waking up to a call at about 515 asking if we were still going was a conversation of mumbled words and finally a heck yea lets get it ... my dad picked me up by 545 and after a coffee stop we were on our way ... we arrived to our location just after six and and i explained to my dad that if nothing is going here we can move to the other side of the road and try there ... my dad is an excellent turkey hunter when he goes but this late in the year hes all about that hot bird so when he let out a call near the truck to no response i knew id have to convince him i knew where this bird would be ... so after explaining that with the thick woods and the uphill location of the bird we begin our treck uphill .. we walked up to where the field was just visable to our left and a gasline dipped back down hill and set up ... the first serious of light calls was rewarded with two gobbles but were way off down over the hill ... a half hour later and a couple gobbles had us take notice the birds were on the move but were skirting the bottom of the hill and heading the direction toward the field ... which would have probably worked out for us but my dad was limited on time so we decided to move ... we moved quietly but swiftly down the gas line and followed it right towards the skirt of the hill when we heard him sound off . HES COMING ... ten more steps and another gobble now just below the hill caused us to hit the deck to set up the dekes and crawl to our seats ... i got about 15 yards off the gasline and my dad was another ten behind me .. the dekes to my right ... a short series of yelps and a double gobble confirmed it was commited so now the wait was on ... what seemed like an hour went as follows ... my dad just scratched the ground and let out the occassional soft call and the bird worked to my right and gobbled just about everytime my dad scratched the ground... to try to prepare for this i quickly repositioned and faced the way he was gobbling ... then as suddenly as can be all went silent and the look was on ... waiting waiting waiting. i knew he was closing but just couldnt see him and i wouldnt dare move... finally after what seemed like forever a gobble rang out loud and right in front of me behind a blowdown about fifty yards out ... wait wait wait ... finally movement to my far left i could make out a red head and nothing else so i waited and try to trust my eyes and confirm my target... instinct said this wasn my bird and just as i was about to swing i saw the top a full fan not 5 yards behind the first bird ... i watched for the head and when i finally saw it i again stopped myself and thought about to do. i noticed he was half behind a tree so as soon as he spun behind it i shot up and lined up left unnoticed ... when he turned back around to see why the others took off a bang from the 835 is what he was met with. the rest is history ... this is my third longbeard and for sure the one ill remember the longest ... its always nice to know when i cant close the door for myself dad can step in and gitrdone for me ... 3 year dryspell over and a bird of a lifetime to boot ... ill spend my whole life probably trying to get one with more total inches of beard but until i can hunt with my own children someday that day with me dad will be tough to top

1 Reply Related Threads

Trucker67
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 6
    • Reward points: 0
    Re:story to my bird 2013/05/27 23:07:20 (permalink)
    Congratulations and good story. I know how you dad feels. I sat with 2 sons on their first gobbler kills. The 2nd was this year on the youth mentored hunt. My 9 yr old shot his 1st. A jake.
    Jump to: