creek restoration

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
carpitiss
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 348
  • Reward points: 0
RE: creek restoration 2008/01/14 18:26:57 (permalink)
i get sick and tired of hearing about prime steelhead holes getting posted

look, it is obvious that areas such as the manchester hole is a major holding spot for steelies regardless of the chutes being their or not. however, during a typical steelhead season on the very fast receding streams (walnut, 20 mile, 16 mile etc.) of erie the fish are stuck down in these lower portions for long periods of time.... thus the fishermen are ALSO forced to fish these areas. what do you have? 90% of the anglers in the lower stretches, and 10% upstream. now, i must ask. where do you think the problems will come from? obviously where the hundreds of fishermen and fish are stacked.

now, this has not been the case over the past three years or so due to near record rainfalls early in the season and erosion of the falls, but the damage is already done. manchester hole and the dohlber property are PRIME examples

yes it is true that you can not merely install ladders on private property.... but you may be able to get permission to do so----especially if the landowner is informed that it will probably result in fewer anglers tromping around on his/her property.

yes the fish do stage heavily at elk access. but, they are also spread out the entire length of the stream. could you imagine if there was a large waterfall near the launch ramp? you would have 5x as many anglers there.

ladders allow fish to pass easily through an area even in LOW water. to say that steelies can navigate over falls more easily than a ladder is absolutely false.... there isn't even a leap required with ladders, and the fish do not have to wait for abnormally high flows to pass through.

install ladders, let the fish and anglers spread out, and lessen problems for landowners.... not to mention adding more fishing opportunities for all to enjoy.

Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrppppppp!!!!
psbfisher11
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 158
RE: creek restoration 2008/01/14 19:47:30 (permalink)
I go to Penn State Behrend, i have been down to the gorge and the area is beautiful and has a lot of nice holes in the stream. I would help them build the ladders. I hope they put them in. 4 mile is a beautiful creek
flyfisherman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 148
RE: creek restoration 2008/01/14 22:13:50 (permalink)
Very well said carp.....like you said, the falls impede fish movement upstream, and the installment of ladders would spread the fish out in not only high water, but also times when the creek is very low. It is private property, but im sure the owner would have no problem allowing the installment of ladders which could POSSIBLY lower the numbers of fishermen (most likely not going to happen tho). I also have a hard time believing that the fish are "lazy" and only stage in the first hole that they reach.  I always thought that their main goal was to migrate upstream as far and as quickly as possible.  Additionally, the chutes are not exactly a prime spot for those fish to want to just "hangout" for a long time and eventually spawn. I mean, there is a line in the water all the time, and I know if I were a steelhead, I would be spooked and would want to be out of there as soon as possible.  What else could their motive be to stay there? To be caught for our enjoyment, or because they have no way to get out...
kimish80
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 36
RE: creek restoration 2008/01/15 19:22:10 (permalink)
the stealies will stage in holes to build energy for the next move upstream.  You might see 50 in a hole one day and 50 in the same hole the next day but they may not all be the same fish from the previous day.
wccprez
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: creek restoration 2008/01/19 15:09:48 (permalink)
Opening up Four Mile will give eight to nine miles of bank stream fishing.  HCreek, Wesleyville and Law Park own the land that the stream runs through and all this will be open.  GE property will be open, and Behrend College and Wintergreen Gorge.
With a little more work, the whold creek will be open.  Future projects include stocking fish above Route 20 and will be open to the public.   The fishing for kids project will stay open too.

Over the last ten years, there have been steelhead at the dam and up to the first falls. 

This is the first stream to be looked at, and there is a possibility other streams will be looked at.

kimish80
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 36
RE: creek restoration 2008/01/19 20:27:48 (permalink)
when are the ladders going to be completed and how many of which type?
wccprez
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: creek restoration 2008/01/20 12:21:52 (permalink)
the ladders are to be completed this summer    The ladders will be lampry eel proof,and there will be two ladders below Route 5. 
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: creek restoration 2008/01/21 19:40:14 (permalink)
If you want to settle the sewage plant argument, pay attention to your hatches above and below the discharge, as go the bugs so goes the water quality.  My guess is that you will have a ton more EPT species upstream....

Better too far back, than too far forward.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: