Heat gun to restore color of Daiwa reels?

Author
chasmo
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 21
  • Reward points: 0
2013/05/09 12:31:25 (permalink)

Heat gun to restore color of Daiwa reels?

I just obtained a number of countdown reels and will be tearing them down to clean and prep for possible resale. Has anyone ever tried to restore the faded gray to the original black color? I have tried several cleaners, scothbrite, toothbrush etc to try and scrub them to no avail. I just saw a youtube video where they restored auto trim by using a heat gun. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried this on these reels. Im going to wait a week or so and see if Diawa returns my emails, if they don't offer a solution I will try the heat gun on one frame and let everyone know the good, bad or ugly.

We have met the enemy and it is US.... Pogo 1970 

2 Replies Related Threads

Rough House
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 192
    Re:Heat gun to restore color of Daiwa reels? 2013/05/09 16:43:59 (permalink)
    ive tried everything listed above to restore the black graphite reels back to there original color.  None of it seem to last.  Saw a post a couple of years ago that said to try olive oil.  Worked great.  Last longer than armor all and cleaners but it still will fade. 

Lake Erie Fishing Charters out of Erie, PA.

https://roughhousecharters.com
    chasmo
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 21
    Re:Heat gun to restore color of Daiwa reels? 2013/05/09 17:17:55 (permalink)
    As always, I got impatient and tried the heat gun trick. Did not do anything except start to melt the resin. It was then I remembered these frames are epoxy resin and not plastic. No damage done, I tried on the bottom near the reel seat.  I will try the olive oil trick.  Thanks
    PS I dd try the heat gun on my 2004 Silverado trim and it looks great..now I gotta finish that.

We have met the enemy and it is US.... Pogo 1970 

Jump to: