Fishers

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Fishers 2008/01/16 13:28:26 (permalink)
(what is early supposed to mean Either you dont read my posts or really do have a reading comprehension problem. try reading my post again. If your definition of young deer are babies then there is no corn around then. If your talking 6 months old then how do you account for all the young deer you see in the standing corn or cut over cornfields all winter? Do they all die of a belly ache? Yes there are lots of white oaks but normally only a few each year with heavy production and those are hot spots until the deer have cleaned them up. As far as the hemlocks I was making the distinction between what deer eat depending on the severity of the winter and available food. They won't be in the corn if something better is available(like oaks) and will go to the corn before hemlock or some other less desirable food if corn is available. I didn't think it was that hard to understand. I think we have beat this to death but if you want to continue lets do it on the feeding topic and get off the fisher thread.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: Fishers 2008/01/17 07:27:26 (permalink)
You all missed the point. Fishers were here before us. They were part of the local ecology. We (humans) killed them all. Eradicated them from the state. The reintroduction was a way to bring back the balance that we have messed up. Now you say they eat deer..That is one tough fisher. Bullcrap!!
Doublecrapper...You always throw it on the lumber companies..What do you wipe your **** with everyday???PLASTIC..I think not...I asked the boss the other day who our wildlife person was I want that job...Stolking coyotes and fishers and killing deer..Aren't you the same guy that suggested suing landowners if a deer runs of his property and hits your car??

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Fishers 2008/01/17 08:07:19 (permalink)
Are you refering to me?  If so do some research before going off half cocked--- No I am not the one who suggested suing anyone. Recearch Fishers on the net and you will find the so called experts saying fishers will kill deer. Hell, even a small beagle will harrass a young deer to death. Yes they were here before man--So were wolves, lions and grizzley bear. Do you want them in your backyard? I said I enjoyed seeing one but agreed with another poster that in reality they were nothing more thaan another predator competing for a dwindling prey population. I know the enviromentalists want to stop hunting and reintroduce all the carnivorous so we can go back to the world before man but I thought you were a bit more reasonable than that. Perhaps I was wrong. Now that i've vented I'am going fishing.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: Fishers 2008/01/17 08:29:42 (permalink)
Wasn't referring to you S-10. DT is the one I was replying to. Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers.
I feel fishers are a welcome species in the forest. They help keep the porcupines in check. If I get one or two less rabbits a year because there are fishers around I'll give that up for a little diversity..
 Just happens to be I spent 1 hr waiting at the Bradford Office of the ANF yesterday for a meeting with the foresters and read on the subject for a half hour. They have some good info on the subject. So I'm not half cocked..3/4 mabee...

SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: Fishers 2008/01/17 10:00:24 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: S-10

so called experts saying fishers will kill deer.

I like how you believe them when it's in your favor but not when it's against.  btw.. I won't disagree fishers will kill young deer.  I don't know.    Enjoy you fishing.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Fishers 2008/01/17 17:01:57 (permalink)
Bings-- bottom of your post said it was in answer to me, that's why I got ruffled.  Kype-- Your right --I don't always agree with them, just happens this time I know enough about fishers to know they are right. Remember--It was an expert that said "we are the experts,we know what we are doing" it was a expert that said we had 1,600,000 deer in Pa----it was an expert that said a lot of what were doing is trial and error----it is an expert that claims that box trapping wild hogs is more efficient than shooting them---it was an expert that said mistakes will be made---it was an expert that admitted it was a bad mistake when he started doe season on a Sat during buck season-----now it's another expert that is suggesting that we should start doe season on a Sat during buck season  to see what happens. Yep--I don't always believe them.  BTW--- We may have missed the peak of the run because of deer season but there are still plenty of fish left and little pressure. Had my first 25+ of the season today. They are not dime bright and don't fight as hard as in the fall but they are still plenty fun. Maybe I'll see you there sometime.
doubletaper
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3977
RE: Fishers 2008/01/17 18:02:15 (permalink)
bingsbait,yes i said something about lumber companies to ruffle your feathers %^$#*&#^..guilty as charged
i read back in the 80's i believe is when they were reintroduced. porcupines eat tree bark that ruins trees. fishers are about the only things that eat porcupines besides a desperate lost and hungry person. i don't know if the lumber comp. had anything to do with it or not. it was a question?
also what i read i thought it said they, the GREAT fisher population dissappeared from our state on their own more than we, the people, took it upon ourselves to get rid of them. but i'll go reread about this again. hopefully the experts will manage the imported fishers before they overrun the forest.
i'de rather see the huntable wild game, tastey animals, flourish than to see fishers over a stack of their bones! ~dt
post edited by doubletaper - 2008/01/17 18:54:20

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
it's not luck
if success is consistent 

doubletaper
Pro Angler
RE: Fishers 2008/01/17 18:22:05 (permalink)
The fisher’s decline was hastened by its dependency on large tracts of unbroken forest to accommodate its nomad-like lifestyle. As Penn’s Woods were clear cut in the latter 1800s, fishers became more concentrated and the elusive animal became easy to find. The result was catastrophic to the species.  Most Pennsylvanians didn’t notice the loss of the state’s “black cats,” or “tree foxes.” Given their natural uncommonness and penchant for inhabiting the more rugged areas of the state, that shouldn’t be too surprising.

taken from the pgc. report on fishers in the state. i couldn't find anywhere the evil pennsylvanians corrupted the penns. woods to eliminate the hordes of fishers. maybe i didn't read far enough.
i'de rather see more dead fishers than dead turkeys, rabbits, hares, squirrels, deer, ect. ~dt
post edited by doubletaper - 2008/01/17 18:48:41

it's not luck
if success is consistent 

doubletaper
Pro Angler
RE: Fishers 2008/01/17 18:43:15 (permalink)
“Fishers are opportunistic feeders,” Hardisky said. “They’ll hunt everything from squirrels and raccoons to porcupines and rabbits. They also have demonstrated an ability to make feeding adjustments that include raiding hawk and owl nests, eating road-killed deer and preying on livestock.
wow, what a great animal to reintroduce more of in the PA. woods. making it sound soooo exciting that they are spreading over the PA. woods eating game animals while they travel. i'm sure the chicken farmers are enthused and the bird watchers. hopefully there's enough trappers out there to keep the fisher population down!!! ~dt
just remember the pgc. never said they were ever extinct in PA. 

it's not luck
if success is consistent 

Dream Catcher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1567
RE: Fishers 2008/01/17 19:00:30 (permalink)
Yeah man what were you thinking ? I used to put out that corn up in a turkey feeder at camp . I probably killed off the rest of the poor ba$tards in Forest county ; I still think Gary Alts got me by 5,000,000 or so. Just put it out up north you won't have to worry about those deer eating it.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: Fishers 2008/01/18 17:48:05 (permalink)
DT I think we are both right on why they left the state. They were concentrated when all the forests were cut down and were that much easier to trap...
No doubt in my mind the lumber companies would be interested in trying to persuade the PGC to reintroduce them. Porcupines kill alot of trees. With no other natural predator they can multiply and have quite an affect on a forest.
Hopefully they will stay where they prefer to live in large unbroken tracts of timber. Which I walked through 7 miles of today and if them critters can scratch out a livin there more power to them..

treesparrow
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 651
RE: Fishers 2008/01/18 22:07:02 (permalink)
  I often wonder about many of the species that have ambled back into our world one way or another.  What will the fisher do to the environment? I live just outside of Franklin Pa. along Sugar Creek not far from French Creek. When I was in my 20s and someone would have told me I would see BaldEagles all the time, I would have told them they were nuts. I have a nest practically behind my house. Those big birds work both French Creek and Sugar Creek every day. Do they eat our fish sure. Do they eat Gamefish you bet! What I never would have realized is they eat Ducks. That may sound bad, however I can't prove it but I think they have put a real hurting on the Merganzers in both streams. I used to see hundreds now just a few now and then. I watched an Eagle hunting one day in a neighborhood pond and I am sure it took a duck. Not sure what kind but what a sight. It wore the Duck out, by not letting it surface. Every time that Duck came to the surface that Eagle drove it down. The Eagle then hovered above the water like a Kestrel above a field, waiting for the Duck to come back up. What a site! For now getting rid of most of those merganzers could only help the fishery.
    A skidder in the ANF could only help the deer hunting. Fishers in the woods who knows for sure? Maybe they will take a likeing to Redtail Eggs! Or Egg stealing Skunks and Coons who like their eggs on the ground. We sure have a lot of Redtails and Skunks In Venango Co. Because of the way suckers and carp feed I'll bet Eagles take a dozen of them for every Gamefish they catch.
    You want to get mad about an introduced species, get mad about some of the introduced Flora that Hortaculturalists and the Game Com. have introduced in the not so distant past. Some of those species pose a grave and impending disaster that the Game Com. recognizes but are unwilling to address. It is also my contention they have avoided the issue because of their liability. They were instrumental in the introduction, and have not even given warnings to landowners that they should attempt to eradicate the species while there was a chance. I don't know what kind of effort it would take now to eradicate them but it would now I am sure be in the Billions, and some threaten both our wildlife and our Forests. I have never been very afraid of a species that at one time was allready here. Maybe Dinosaurs! Or Sabur Tooth Tigers! Think of all the fishing holes we would have if we still had the 200 lb Beavers!

bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: Fishers 2008/01/19 12:51:14 (permalink)
I know I would sure like to get my hands on the man from the PGC that thought planting multifloral rose was a good idea...That stuff is nasty...

treesparrow
Expert Angler
RE: Fishers 2008/01/19 20:19:19 (permalink)
bingsbaits, Wait till you get tangled in some of that Amor Honeysuckle. It doesn't have thorns but it is going to make the problem with Multiflora Rose seem like nothing. The terrible thing with it is I cant see where anything even browses on it. It only makes little red berries. It also seems to choke out trees, and I maybe wrong but I suspect that it has a toxic presence. The area soon has no other species regenerating where it is thick. That is my observation not a fact. However I have been observing it for quite a while and I think I am right. The worst of it I have found is a Gamelands and surrounding property down by Starlight or Starlake Ampatheatre. Some places around Venango-Clarion Counties are getting bad also.
doubletaper
Pro Angler
RE: Fishers 2008/01/20 12:33:29 (permalink)
I often wonder about many of the species that have ambled back into our world one way or another.  ~treesparrow

i have less of a problem with species that amble back than species, especially meat loving predators, that are man reintroduced in our forests. i feel with the hawks, coyotes and other predators in the penns woods is enough without adding more conflict to our game animals, large and small.  just my opinion ~dt

it's not luck
if success is consistent 

aranbp
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 324
RE: Fishers 2008/01/21 09:13:48 (permalink)
Saw one a couple years back in Forest county.  I just wonder how many there really are out there.

http://www.hilltownsonline.com/fishercats.htm

With Guns...........We Are 'Citizens'.
Without Them........We Are 'Subjects'.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Fishers 2008/01/21 12:19:36 (permalink)
Minnesota lists Fishers as one of the predators responsible for deer kills in the spring. California lists beaver as one of their prey species. Nova Scotia acknowledges they kill a few fawns but considers it insignificant. lsb.syr.edu/projects/cyberzoo/fisher-- has a description and writeup on fisher and considers them a predator of fawns. There are a whole lot of descriptions and first person articles on the net about them being a big killer of cats and some dogs. Also a few people claim to have been stalked or attacked by them. I guess they are not something you want to hold in your lap.
doubletaper
Pro Angler
RE: Fishers 2008/01/21 13:21:10 (permalink)
here kitty, kitty

it's not luck
if success is consistent 

DanesDad
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3087
RE: Fishers 2008/01/22 00:49:49 (permalink)
You want tot talk about introduced flora?  How about the flora that was already here?  The woods around my house are infested with poison ivy.  Some of the vines that grow up the trees are as big around as my arm.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: Fishers 2008/01/22 06:53:31 (permalink)
I got into a batch of poison ivy logging this year near Sugar Lake. It has never bothered me in the past. This batch really tore me up..You could see lines of blisters everywhere it touched my skin...

What is the one with the big leaves that is dangerous??? Hogweed??

spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: Fishers 2008/01/22 12:09:39 (permalink)
I read somewhere that Poison Ivy is becoming more potent. I don't remember what they listed as the cause ( globle warming? ). Also, as with bee stings we tend to become less tolerant with each exposure. 

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: Fishers 2008/01/22 13:21:21 (permalink)
I never heard anything about it becoming more potent due to enviromental changes but you are right about becoming more sensitized to it after each contact. Just like with alergies you may not have a problem for years and for some unknown reason all of a sudden become susceptable to it. It has never beeen a problem for me and I sure hope it stays that way.
treesparrow
Expert Angler
RE: Fishers 2008/01/22 16:04:26 (permalink)
I had a pony that loved to eat Poison Ivy,and it never bothered her. After I knew that I tethered her amongst it and wala gone. It would resprout and I would stake her there again soon I eragicated the P. Ivy from the area. I guess we just need enough ponys.
duncsdad
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 515
RE: Fishers 2008/01/22 18:50:04 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: SilverKype

ORIGINAL: duncsdad

I had one cross the road in front of me Thursday morning in Blair County.  It took a while before I figured out what it was.

route 22 Shawn?

I had one cross in front of me right before Yellow Springs Road (back road to Williamsburg) about 3 weeks ago.  I was on my way to State College.  Too big to be a groundhog.  Hair was almost black.

Jon,

Sorry it took so long to reply, but I have been busy scouting my 2009 deer (I figure it is way too late to look for one for 2008).  Just kidding.

I actually saw the fisher on Route 36 (Catfish Ridge) near the Chimney Rocks turn off.  It came across the road right where the lane splits off for the Loop exit.

It was about 5:30 AM, so I wasn't sure what it was.  At first I thought it was a groundhog, but that was completely unlikely at that hour in January.  It was way too big for a mink.  In fact, until I read this thread, a fisher never came to mind.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: Fishers 2008/01/24 13:15:09 (permalink)
I'm glad to see you are attempting to set yourself up for success (by your definition).  Way to go Shawn!!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: