On a Different Note: Fishing the frog water...

Author
mgolf92
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 378
  • Reward points: 0
2008/01/08 18:59:32 (permalink)

On a Different Note: Fishing the frog water...

So we have a thread on workin' the fast water, now how do you fish the slower, deeper pools that the fish are holding in this time of year?  Fly fishing that is.

Mike

6 Replies Related Threads

2dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: On a Different Note: Fishing the frog water... 2008/01/08 19:23:02 (permalink)
    Same way as the hole, slow and deep. I usually stay away from the holes during the winter. Fish the head of the hole or ripples. Figure the fish that are feeding will be there. Works most of the time.
    kimish80
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 36
    RE: On a Different Note: Fishing the frog water... 2008/01/08 22:28:45 (permalink)
    fish deep and slow. Be persistant.  Remain confident.  The fish tend to hug the bottom in winter where theres less current.  Remember,  fish are cold blooded and when the waters cold they dont want to expend more energy than they need to.  thats where persistance comes in.  In those deep green colored holes where you cant see the fish,  you must break the hole down into little sections starting closest to you and than gradually getting farther away. Remember that the fish will be holding near bottom so make sure your using enough weight to get you where the fish may be.  After you have fished that hole "persistantly" try different flys and start all over.  Confidence is very important. You just have to believe and have positive thoughts.  Positive thoughts release positive energy and so on.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: On a Different Note: Fishing the frog water... 2008/01/09 05:22:11 (permalink)
    I fish the pin in these conditions.  If I have a fly rod the technique is the same with a small float and shot setup.  Low, slow, small and put it on their nose.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6352
    RE: On a Different Note: Fishing the frog water... 2008/01/10 08:02:03 (permalink)
    I agree with everyone else except I would add that in my experience it is better to go bigger in the cold.  Fish don't like to waste energy chasing a small meal, but a big, easy, meal seems to be more effective.  I like a muddler minnow fished deep.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: On a Different Note: Fishing the frog water... 2008/01/10 08:49:09 (permalink)
    all good points:  heres my take.

Chances are in winter your going to find fish laying on the bottom of deep holes, along banks, in eddies that have no drift often turned away from the flow of the main current....I too have pondered the question how in the hell am I going to get these things interested in my presentation?  This is/was a frustrating commitment and can really make for a challenging time.

For the first situation:

Usually steelhead in the winter are going to be hugging the bottom of the deepest holes you find, have been caught numerous times, and are just downright lockjawed relaxing lazily in the slow water.  I usually fish an egg pattern or nymph with some added flash to get the attention of the fish to induce a strike.  Krystal flash, flashy dubbing, eztaz whatever is going to reflect some light will work to get the steelies attention, usually anything out of the ordinary just keep switiching around.  It is however imperative that you are precise in getting the fly into thier feeding/holding lane and bounce it right off of thier nose.  This kind of fishing requires a perfect drag free drift in pretty slow water, its a hard task, but keep working at it.  Instead of loading your tippet with tons of weight, try to use a fly with a tungsten bead to get to the bottom faster and hold the fly in the bottom current which will be slower then the top (obviously).

Second:

The eddies.  For me these things are nightmares and dreams.  Perfect example in this type of water that everyone will know is the hole directly above manchester at the begginning portion of the chutes.  So many times fish are facing you at a 45 degree angle from the west bank in the back current.  When there is flow it can be one of the best water formats to fish, just cast and drift or use a float to keep it in the whirl, but when low/slow be prepared to schedule for anger management.  The best technique I have found is "swimming" streamers.  If I was to do this I would be standing facing the back of the fish so that thier tails are in front of me, cast on the upstream side, and let it drift toward the fishes face holding tension on the line and stripping in small amounts.  In winter, use a bright fly with material that "breathes" in order to induce a strike, marabou, herl, or polar fibre, somthing like that.  Also, a small (and I mean small) corkie can be used for a nymph or egg but more than likey it will just spook fish or put them down.  Winter time is the doldrum period for steelhead, they feel like you do when you come home from work and your wife or g/f starts with the bi*chin you gotta do somthing out of the ordinary to make them happy. Don't be afraid to expieriment with some odd looking flies, they might just work.

Third situation:

Sometimes your going to find fish along pocket water in banks just freely swimming around, no drift, just like if you put them in a baby pool.  This water is in my opinion the most challenging to fish.  Chances are ill aviod it, unless theres just a mass of fish or a really big pig laying in there.  In most cases they will just be resting or milling around in there, not interested in anything.  Spin fishers with live bait or jigs have an easier time with this water but what about us fly guys??  Well somtimes desperate times call for desperate measures.  I tie a pattern that I somtimes freudian slip into calling a jig, and thats just how I fish it.  Dunk it real close, get it next to the fishes face and jig it.  It works.  You have to make the fish hit your fly, in other words, p*ss it off into hitting.  The most imporant case in any of these situations or winter fishing, is to be persistent.  They will hit if you don't give them a choice.  Just keep at it, keep switching, and keep on learning.  Every experience should be a learning one. 

fishnabarrel
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: On a Different Note: Fishing the frog water... 2008/01/15 19:53:30 (permalink)
    deep and slow and deep
    Jump to: