Stupid Daddy

Author
slabdaddy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1780
  • Reward points: 0
2013/03/10 17:16:48 (permalink)

Stupid Daddy

Guys, I made a really stupid mistake  yesterday and I wanted to share it with you so that you don't make the same mistake that I did. I took my two boys ice fishing yesterday. I assumed that it would be last ice for the year and I wanted them to go out one last time. They are 6 and 5. Anyway, it was a beautiful day to be on the ice and we had a lot of fun. It was strange to be on the ice and be so hot at the same time. That sun was really shining. Anyway, we played hard and fished from 7AM to 5PM. When I got the kids home and got them out of the car, I looked at my boys and freaked out. Their faces were swelled up so bad that I could hardly recognize them! Their eyes were almost swelled shut and the skin on their faces was beet red! I took them to the ER and they both had sun poisoning. It never occured to me that you could get sunpoisoning while ice fishing. I mean, it makes sense now, but it never crossed my mind as a danger while ice fishing. I put sunscreen on them every time I take them out on the boat in the spring and summer, but in winter I never even think about it. So if  you ever take your kids ice fishing on a clear, sunny day make sure that you protect their faces, necks, and ears with sunscreen. I feel terrible. Poor kids.

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath

11 Replies Related Threads

stumpkiller
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re:Stupid Daddy 2013/03/10 20:18:28 (permalink)
    Yea I did the same thing 3 years ago on sugar lake. My wife, my 3 kids, my friends wife her 2 kids all ended up with sun poisoning. Lesson learned, the sunscreen is now included in my gear box.
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Stupid Daddy 2013/03/10 20:25:04 (permalink)
    I hope everyone reads this so no one else has to go through this. My kids will be in bed for the next 3 days.

“If you're in trouble, or hurt or in need - go to the poor people. They're the only ones that'll help - the only ones.”
    just_wanna_fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 424
    Re:Stupid Daddy 2013/03/10 20:36:41 (permalink)
    sorry to hear about the kids
    but i like the post name

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Stupid Daddy 2013/03/11 08:39:11 (permalink)
    Well, I do feel really stupid. Sunpoisoning is a word that never has entered my mind during the winter months. I won't make the same mistake again.

fishinpreacher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    Re:Stupid Daddy 2013/03/11 10:14:38 (permalink)
    Hope the kids heal up quick.
    I probably would have made the same mistake. Don't beat yourself up too bad.
    God bless!
    LDD
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3138
    Re:Stupid Daddy 2013/03/19 12:05:21 (permalink)
    Hope the boys are ok, thanks for posting that experience though.  I often take my kids and it seems like it's rarely sunny, but I'll definitely keep an eye.  Dude, I'm sure you were in trouble with mama bear, my condolences...lol! 
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Stupid Daddy 2013/03/19 14:29:19 (permalink)
    Yeah, Mama Bear wasn't too impressed with my lack of intelligence. Before she could get too high and mighty I reminder her that she helped me pack for the boys and that she forgot the sunscreen too. It's really not something I've ever thought about before. I have a lot of Cherokee blood in me so I don't burn very easily. I don't think about sunscreen very often. I know I'll think about it from now on though.

Thanks for your well-wishes. The boys are doing a lot better. Their faces were covered in little blisters so they ended up losing all of the skin on their faces. They were so itchy that they had trouble sleeping. I won't let this happen again. I know that.

PymieCaster
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 88
    Re:Stupid Daddy 2013/03/23 08:49:23 (permalink)
    Wow never would have thought that so I learned something new here,,,but atleast you was smart enough to get them to the ER and with that minus the ("Stupid Daddy") I'm glad they are doing fine also
    slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    Re:Stupid Daddy 2013/03/23 11:30:21 (permalink)
    Thank you.

BoroMusky
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 161
    Re:Stupid Daddy 2013/03/26 23:28:29 (permalink)
    Sun-glasses too are a must.... my buddy literally burnt his retina on a 6 hour day out there. real sunny, some puddles, and really bright snow.... he got lucky and recovered 100%. Something some people don't think to bring on overcast days or out on the ice
    luvinbluegills
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 955
    Re:Stupid Daddy 2013/04/03 16:32:34 (permalink)
    What's scary is that it's actually even easier to do in the Winter because of the double dose; direct sunlight, and sunlight reflected and magnified off the snow and ice.

Faith is only as good as its object
    Adventures with Fish
    Jump to: