Third and final trip to Lake Simcoe report - interesting new bait!

Author
Mickey Finn
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points: 0
2013/03/08 18:31:38 (permalink)

Third and final trip to Lake Simcoe report - interesting new bait!

Just got back from my third trip to Simcoe this year.
It was the usual productive trip, what was most interesting was what caught the perch. I usually use jigging Rapala's almost exclusively. Last trip I experimented with the Berkley Trout Worm and it caught fish.
What made me use it more this time was watching the fish come up on the screen of my Marcum Showdown Ice Troller but not hit the Rapala. So I reasoned they were attracted but not willing to bite. So I changed baits (to the Berkley worm) and bang - game on. Caught many nice large perch, and if I could ever figure out how to add pictures on this forum, I would. 
Suffice to say, remember this next year if you are looking to try something different. I would pinch off about 3/4 inch off the head of the worm, thread the rest on a 1/8-oz matching color jig head, and tip it with 3 maggots. They last for about 10 fish, then the worm gets torn up and needs replaced. Best colors were chartreuse, white, orange peel, and orange.
Has anyone else tried these locally (when we have safe ice) for our fish? I'll be the Berkley worms would be killers for crappie too.

Let's go fishing!

2 Replies Related Threads

eye crosser
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 119
    Re:Third and final trip to Lake Simcoe report - interesting new bait! 2013/03/08 19:31:47 (permalink)
    I started to use one that's similar called a trout magnet.  Does really well on the big bull gills.  Just need to get a big school of them. 
    Mickey Finn
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 20
    Re:Third and final trip to Lake Simcoe report - interesting new bait! 2013/03/08 21:13:59 (permalink)
    Yeah, I've got Trout Magnets too. I used them in Cook's Bay last year (at Simcoe) and caught lots of fish, but no real big ones. But that was a limited test with the short season up there last year. I don't understand what the fish see in trout magnets, there is no real action to it. Those Berkley Worms and plastics have a lot of action compared to the rather static trout magnets, but I know they work too.

Let's go fishing!
    Jump to: