bassmaster classic 2013

Author
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
  • Reward points: 0
2013/02/28 14:34:58 (permalink)

bassmaster classic 2013

I just read that the winner in this years classic won $500.000 & the 2nd place prize was $45.000. I do not follow competitive fishing, but considering that there is also some luck involved, along with a lot of skill,that there should be less of a gap between 1-2 place. Just think that 1 thrown lure or like this year, a guys trolling motor broke, could cost you a half mil. No wonder "Mad Mike"makes such an azz out of himself. IMO   sam

12 Replies Related Threads

CatchinPABass
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 126
    Re:bassmaster classic 2013 2013/02/28 20:03:44 (permalink)
    All I got to say is those guys fish there hearts out during that tourney and its deff more skill then luck.  I have total respect fort them and wish I could compete/think at that level.  I wish the tourneys in PA would pay out that much.  Lucky to make 200-500 for first place.  Even in the 100 plus boats tournaments at 150 dollars a team entry fees 2000-2200 is the most you'll win.  45,000 for 3 days of work is an average americans salary in a yr...
    Mags00
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 593
    Re:bassmaster classic 2013 2013/02/28 21:16:48 (permalink)
    They get free gear on top of that as well.  Here's an FLW show of prizes for an event prior to the Forrest Wood Cup.
    http://www.flwoutdoors.co...e-chickamauga-details/
    post edited by Mags00 - 2013/02/28 21:18:19
    CatchinPABass
    Avid Angler
    Re:bassmaster classic 2013 2013/02/28 23:43:37 (permalink)
    Yup and fully loaded rigs on top of that.  They have it made to enjoy such an awsome sport/lifestyle!
    Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 443
    Re:bassmaster classic 2013 2013/03/01 05:50:55 (permalink)
    CatchinPABass 

They have it made to enjoy such an awsome sport/lifestyle!

Yep...AWSOME...
    On the road every weekend...
    Home only during the few winter months...
    Having to promote your sponsor's stuff so you get paid...
    After the weigh-in here, drive 4 states away to register and pre-fish two days for a fri, sat, sun tourney...
    Missing home cooked dinners every weekend at home with the family...
    Knowing that an "off day" or slow bite could cost you a sponsor or a paycheck...
    You MUST fish in wind, rain and 3 footers...
    Yep...AWSOME...

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
    XtopwaterkingX
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    Re:bassmaster classic 2013 2013/03/01 09:45:45 (permalink)
    They live the life of a frac hand haha
    CatchinPABass
    Avid Angler
    Re:bassmaster classic 2013 2013/03/01 10:52:58 (permalink)
    Glad you fellow fisherman like to bash on people on here 24/7.  I swear thats about the only thing this forum is about anymore....bashing on other's comments.  Dont be jealous you guys couldn't/can't hang with the big guns.  You say its a crappy lifestyle, then why do hundreds of thousands of people dream about being on that stage?  Yea thats what I thought.....argue that point.  I'd rather deal with the "stresses" of that lifestyle than sit in an office all day long, with a boss yelling in your ear all day long.....once again argue that point.  Let's see....floating on a peaceful lake or being under a whole bunch of stress to make dead lines with a crappy boss up your****  I'll take the lake.   
    freshwaterdrumR
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 603
    Re:bassmaster classic 2013 2013/03/01 11:37:41 (permalink)
    PaBass, just because someone disagreed with your statement doesnt mean they were bashing you....
    The truth is there is so much more to it than being on the lake everyday catching fish.  If you honestly can say that you would enjoy driving 70k+ miles a year, spending 300+ days away from home, and having to pull a decent limit of fish in terrible conditions just to get a paycheck that week then thats fine.  But I think once most people realize what it means to be a pro it doesnt seem so great.
    And the reason most people cant 'hang with the big guns' is because they cant spend 40+ hours a week on the water and because they dont have the same contact list in their cell phone.....
    Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 443
    Re:bassmaster classic 2013 2013/03/01 11:43:47 (permalink)
    SORRY...didn't think I was "bashing"...
    All I was trying to say was MY thoughts on the subject.
    If that is the kind of life you dream of...GO FOR IT...by all means...I hope you are successful and I see you on TV right along with Mikey, Kevin and Ish...

I wouldn't give up my job, a job that I decided that I wanted to do when I was younger...
    My boss isn't always "up my azz"...I get my work assignments and go do them, because it is what I was hired to do!
    I don't sit in the office all day long, I work out in the weather more than sit at a desk.
    I get to travel...Ohio, Pa and NY...I'm even allowed to take some fishing gear along if I want to take a break. 
    There hasn't been a day that if I wanted to take off early to go play, that I wasn't allowed...as long as my work was caught up.
    I've called the boss on Friday morning and asked to take off a long weekend Friday and Monday to go to Erie 4 days...always got the OK...
    I'll deal with my "stresses" and paycheck, you can deal with yours...

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
    BorgCollective
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 186
    Re:bassmaster classic 2013 2013/03/01 11:52:29 (permalink)
    CatchinPABass 

Dont be jealous you guys couldn't/can't hang with the big guns. 

sounds like a frustrated tournament angler that hasnt landed that lucrative berkley or skeeter sponsorship yet

Yes, we are still here!
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    Re:bassmaster classic 2013 2013/03/01 14:25:34 (permalink)
    IMO, fishing at that level ceases to be fun.  I quit fishing club tourneys cause I wasn't enjoying myself anymore.  HAVE to be at the ramp at 5am for check-in....HAVE to be back for weigh-in at 3pm.  I want to dictate when I can fish and when I need to be back.  If the bite sucks or it's raining, I can be back at the trailer cracking a cold one, not sticking it out on the water because i HAVE to.  Tourney fishin' just isn't my thing anymore.
    Accountant
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    Re:bassmaster classic 2013 2013/03/01 16:47:58 (permalink)
    This reminds me a lot of the pros and cons of being a minor league baseball player.

On one hand, its every kid's dream to play major league baseball.  You are young, have the chance to travel and experience things that most people dont get to experience, and get paid to do so.

On the other hand, you are faced with 12+ hour bus trips, crappy living conditions, a competitive workplace, crappy wages, and a grinding schedule. And once you are done playing baseball, you have a very limited skill set to use in the real world.

ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    Re:bassmaster classic 2013 2013/03/01 17:31:07 (permalink)
    I fish open and federation tournaments. Came within 4 ounces of going to the FLW Federation National Championship in 2009. I have a wall and shelf full of trophies. I absolutely love it..... but I would never want it to be my job. As it stands now, it's a hobby. If I don't do well, my family still eats. if I had to do it to pay the bills it would cease being fun.
    I've had the opportunity to talk to many tour level pros about their profession and I'm certain I wouldn't want it. What you see on TV is all the glamour. What you don't see if alot of the things mentioned by others. Less than 15% of the pros make enough money to break even every year.
    It's a tough gig.

Kistler Custom Rods Pro Staff
    GAMMA Fishing Lines Pro Staff
    Jump to: