Hobie Pro Angler 12

Author
Claypool313
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 449
  • Reward points: 0
2013/02/17 14:59:49 (permalink)

Hobie Pro Angler 12

Over the last couple years I've kinda given up on the prospect of buying another fishing boat.  I owned a bass boat at one time and have been considering getting back in the game.  But after a lot of thinking I realized that I did not have the time to invest in the upkeep and have enough outtings per year to make the expense worthwhile.  I have several hobbies that overlap and compete for time in the best fishing seasons.

Alternatively I've been considering unpowered / lightweight vessels.  Never been much of a canoe / kayak person.  Recently came across the Hobie Pro Angler and it caught my eye.  This seems to be a nice middle ground.  Easy to handle (I can haul in my trailer).  Don't need oars.  Seems to have all the right accessories.  Overall I'm looking for a vessel that's reasonable for one person to launch, does not require its own trailer, stable, and comfortable (I have lower back issues).

Anyone ever been on one of these?  How does comfort / stability compare to normal fishing kayaks?  Pretty expensive by comparison ~$2900.

14 Replies Related Threads

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9658
    Re:Hobie Pro Angler 12 2013/02/18 10:07:38 (permalink)
    CP313,
    Do a search in the SW and NW boards.  There are a few on here that have the Hobie fishing versions (not sure if same model or not).  All rave about them and some great threads on them.  I have a 10' sit in (non Hobie), that used to get a lot of use.  I since have started a family and purchased a used motor boat, to get the family and fishing buddies out.  Now my kayak gets maybe a use per year if that.  The Hobies are great looking fishing machines for single person use, but agree they are pricey.  That said, for fishing kayaks, it is basically the top of the line, or very close to it.  I rarely see them for sale used, so am guessing that they have a pretty high resale value.  So, the initial cost might be high, but guessing you would see half of that back if you needed to sell in 4-5 years.  
    I hear you on the other hobbies (family & house, ect. too) taking up the same time as good fishing.  Fishing used to be a 3-4 time per week, just pick up and go, deal for me.  Now it takes 2-3 weeks in advance planning for usually 1/2 day out, and I rarely find myself out alone fishing anymore, unless on a business trip taking me close to a fishing area.  I'm usually going on military bases or other secure areas on business, that strapping a kayak on top isn't an option.  So, for me personally, a single person vessel isn't practical anymore.   

Some of the others with them will be better on particulars, but I am pretty sure that you will still want a paddle to get you to a place faster.  I think the peddles are more for keeping you in place, trolling and working a shoreline, ect. to keep your hands fishing.  
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    Re:Hobie Pro Angler 12 2013/02/18 15:05:38 (permalink)
    You're first problem is trying to rationalize a boat purchase...

Lots of guys on here yak fish and will probably chime in with their thoughts. I've considered getting one, but already have the boat...

EDIT: Did a quick search on these, Holy crap, $3,000 for a Kayak! I'd be reconsidering that boat...
    post edited by bulldog1 - 2013/02/18 15:08:28

Curiosity killed the cat, but for awhile I was a suspect.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    Re:Hobie Pro Angler 12 2013/02/18 16:08:02 (permalink)
    It's not a kayak. It's a hobie. $$$ :)
    Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    Re:Hobie Pro Angler 12 2013/02/18 19:30:21 (permalink)
    Yep, they are all of $3k and then some once you get to accessorizing.  If I went the boat route, I was going to all in.  Just can't justify the space (barn is full) and upkeep time.  Plus I don't have too many fishing friends nearby and fiance (soon to be wife) isn't in to it.  I've been spending more and more time back home helping out my mother and that's sure to increase.  Plus I'm doing a lot more year round hunting prep, helping my uncle take care of the property and all the plots we tend.  Someday I hope to build a camp there and no way a boat fits in that equation.

So the solo fishing outfit seems about right. 95% of the time I fish by myself.  I've been in a kayak before, pretty uncomfortable for my back.  Had a hard time envisioning fishing out of it.  I'm not too scared of the price if it's all it's made out to be.
    post edited by Claypool313 - 2013/02/18 19:40:18
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 526
    Re:Hobie Pro Angler 12 2013/02/18 20:09:38 (permalink)
    I have a couple Hobies, an Outback and a Pro Angler 14.  These are great boats, made popular by the Mirage pedal system and how easily you can steer with one finger while you fish.  Very versatile and stable boats, they can often be found used for some more decent prices.  Problem with the Pro Anger 12 though is that it's new and you might have a hard time finding a used one.  If you're buying new, try Water & Wind Works south of Butler, PA.  I know he has a couple 14 footers at discount prices until they are gone.  Not sure what his 12' inventory is.

You mentioned lower back issues.  You need to know these are heavy boats and a trailer is recommended for Pro Anglers.  You could manhandle a 12' from the back of a pickup truck but if you plan to lift a Pro Angler onto roof racks you might have problems.  I lift the Outback onto Hullivators but would not try that with a Pro Angler.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Porktown 

Some of the others with them will be better on particulars, but I am pretty sure that you will still want a paddle to get you to a place faster.  I think the peddles are more for keeping you in place, trolling and working a shoreline, ect. to keep your hands fishing.   

The only time I would use a paddle is to back up, go through shallow riffles or taking off or landing if I'm not in deep enough water to use the pedals.  You wouldn't use paddles to travel as the pedals will get you there much much faster than any paddle.

post edited by kayak99 - 2013/02/18 20:17:10
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    Re:Hobie Pro Angler 12 2013/02/19 06:39:40 (permalink)
    I dont know much about hobies...they are way outta my league. What I can tell you is my yak was one of the best purchases I've made. For the bay fishing i do, WAY more convenient and stealth then a bote. As stated above, look at the weights on them. Mine weighs like 40 lbs, Deetz weighs like 70....miles of difference when loading and launching. Good luck

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    Accountant
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    Re:Hobie Pro Angler 12 2013/02/19 10:22:10 (permalink)
    I've been kicking the idea around of getting a kayak for a while now.  I drive i Nisan Altima so a kayak is the obvious choice because I cant tow around anything else. Plus ive never have been a boat owner or really a boat guy for that matter.  With that being said, i feel like  I could get a lot of use out of it since I'm pretty much strictly as shore guy now. 

My general question is this:  is the additional few thousand dollars for a hobie worth it?  Or is the pedal system essentially just a luxury item that is fun to use but not really justifiable? 
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    Re:Hobie Pro Angler 12 2013/02/19 11:24:34 (permalink)
    I would call it a luxury item. I get around effortlessly with my paddle. If you leave the shore....there is a whole new world to explore. Probably my best purchase.....ever. Do it.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    Re:Hobie Pro Angler 12 2013/02/19 11:45:36 (permalink)
    If I had the $ I'd get a hobie.
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    Re:Hobie Pro Angler 12 2013/02/19 19:14:22 (permalink)
    Accountant

My general question is this:  is the additional few thousand dollars for a hobie worth it?  Or is the pedal system essentially just a luxury item that is fun to use but not really justifiable? 

Among other boats, I have the Hobies and I have a Prijon Expedition.  The Prijon (sit-in)  came first and I loved it.  Still have and use it.  But, having to put the rod down to move or to steer cuts down my fishing time.  Comparing prices you'll pay up to another thousand dollars for a Hobie Outback compared to a decent paddle yak.  Is it worth it, well, maybe.  That depends on your needs as well as your budget.   I love being able to fish without having to paddle for motion or to steer.   I can hit the Allegheny and zip upstream or from one side to the other or even face upstream and remain in place, never having to miss a cast nor disturb fish with paddle splashing.  I've used the Outback in fresh and saltwater and found it worth the expense.  Plus the resale value on these remains decent.  I can and often do pass large flotillas of people floating the river all while using leg strength for power.  And the exercise doesn't hurt.

A few people have looked at mine before buying and they too now have Hobies.

Yep I think it is a bit of a luxury item too but the pedal system eliminates the need for a motor.  I feel it's justifiable and Hobie is a great brand.  Lots of storage, rod holders and easy to use rudder system.  An easy boat to mod.

I do suggest watching Craigslist for used Hobies.  They pop up once in a while and you can save a lot.  If not, there are dealers who have fall/winter time sales and you can often save there too.

If possible try to find a way to test one and see if it's for you.

Good luck!
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    Re:Hobie Pro Angler 12 2013/02/19 19:33:16 (permalink)
    coldfront - I can read your PM's.  If you can't read my responses, PM me your email address.  Thanks
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    Re:Hobie Pro Angler 12 2013/02/19 19:45:49 (permalink)
    bulldog1

EDIT: Did a quick search on these, Holy crap, $3,000 for a Kayak! I'd be reconsidering that boat...

I forgot to address this bulldog.  The way the 12 and 14' Pro Anglers are built make them more considered boats than kayaks.  The Outback would be considered a kayak and they are much cheaper, and lighter.  <$2000.
    Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    Re:Hobie Pro Angler 12 2013/02/21 18:59:32 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advice all.  I will be checking the classifieds this spring.  If I feel up to the expensive (have a wedding and honeymoon to pay for this year), I have no doubt I'll be happy.  I have a 12' utility trailer with ramp.  With the plug in wheels I feel I would have no problem transporting the Pro Angler.

That said, I may go with a run of the mill fishin yak for this year and see how it goes.
    Chris Johnson
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 321
    Re:Hobie Pro Angler 12 2013/02/26 21:01:44 (permalink)
    Check this out, http://www.oceankayak.com.../angler_kayaks/torque/
    That is where you need to be and only 2 beans.

As far as run o'the mill, I have a FS (Dicks) Eagle Run sit in here ~450$ that I have used on the rivers and larger local lakes (KPD & Yellow Creek) with no problem.

As long a some kayaker's are here, ... does anyone have experience/suggestions re an inflatable pfd?  I'm a large fellow about the midrift and wonder if any fit better than others.

Thanks

A gentleman is someone who can play the accordion, but doesn't.
    ~Tom Waits

Jump to: