LEAD CORE VS. COPPER

Author
pikepredator2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 953
  • Reward points: 0
2013/02/17 05:30:39 (permalink)

LEAD CORE VS. COPPER

Thinking about picking up 2 or 3 of the prespooled combos offered by FishUSA for walleye trolling off of large planer boards.  Which is a better type line, lead core or copper wire?  What are the advantages/disadvantages of both?  Which is the most preferred by walleye guys here in Erie, and why?  Thanks

5 Replies Related Threads

Rough House
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 192
    Re:LEAD CORE VS. COPPER 2013/02/17 11:30:43 (permalink)
    I'm not as familiar with copper as some others but I think these are 2 totally different animals.  I use leadcore all year long on one side of my boat off of big boards.  Ive never used copper but I think (and Ironhed or others can chime in) I think most if not all people use copper with dipsys.  You can get quite a bit deeper with copper than with braid. I don't know of any that use copper on big boards.  Im a firm believer in leadcore.  We've caught a ton of fish using leadcore.  5 and 7 color is the most popular on erie.  5 color  is all your really need and if you need to go a bit deeper you can just add weight where the leader meets the leadcore.  1 color (30 ft) gets your roughly 5 feet. so 5ft down per color.

Lake Erie Fishing Charters out of Erie, PA.

https://roughhousecharters.com
    eyedreamn
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 368
    Re:LEAD CORE VS. COPPER 2013/02/17 13:00:38 (permalink)
    RH hit the nail on the head with the lc. Its nice in late summer when the eyes are deep. Instead of adding a snap weight to your reef runner for added depth one can use lc line. The longer the leadcore the more depth you will add to your presentation. I may suggest segmenting your lc. the lc cannot be clipped to a planer board line only the mono backing it will kink it. If you put a few feet of mono between each color you can be a little more selective on how deep your presentaion is. Example 2 colors plus the reef or 5 colors plus the reef. This will give you more flexability. Although, some of the big guys may have a pair of 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 10 color rod and reel combos on baord. There will be about a 25' leader of fluro or mono at the end of the lc to the lure.
    Lc is more stealthy than snap weights. Your reef will have less vertical swim in rough water instead of snap weight. Snaps will make your reef go up and down in the water column prettys fast. It also depends how close the snap is to the reef. The futher away the less climb and fall.

Copper on the other hand is more of a trout and salmon application. The copper is referred to by the lengths they are. Like 400 coppers or 500 coppers. These copper lines are super popular in lake o. Super stealthy....the copper emmits a natural electromagnetic hum into the water. This is created by the drag of the metalic conductor through the water. The trout and salmon love it!
    Typically the coppers are rain out the "shoot" strait out the back of the boat. The weight of the copper gives the lure its depth. Copper can not be clipped to a planner board release.

The "wire divers" people refer to are typcally 7 strainds of stainless steel wire used with a dipsey divers. There will be a mono or fluro leader from the dipsey to the lure. Again the wire will attrack the salmonoids.

Walleye fisherman use wire for cranks too. Its a single straind s.s. wire. Typically its used in the summer when the fish are at or below the thermocline. Guys usually run 300-350' of wire plus a 25' fluro or mono leader for crank fishing. This wire will also emit a electromagnetic hum. Again it cannot be clipped to a planner board release. Only the mono backing can be clipped to a release.
    post edited by eyedreamn - 2013/02/17 13:18:22
    mothermoose
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 97
    Re:LEAD CORE VS. COPPER 2013/02/17 13:25:15 (permalink)
    leadcore we use to fish to top 50ft. of water.. Then the copper comes in to play for deep water .. I have a 450 copper that will get down to around one hundred ft.
    Keep in mind that we are running spoons and flashers,, deep diver plugs will add another 15ft. to your lesdcore..  Copper is harder to fish then leadcore.. It will birdnest quickly...For lake erie     fish with LEAD     IT'S DEADLY..

MM
    Rough House
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 192
    Re:LEAD CORE VS. COPPER 2013/02/17 16:25:55 (permalink)
    That's right.  I got wire and copper confused.  My bad, I knew that but had a brain fart. lol.

Lake Erie Fishing Charters out of Erie, PA.

https://roughhousecharters.com
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re:LEAD CORE VS. COPPER 2013/02/18 02:11:08 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info guys.
    Jump to: