Author
Bdugg
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 95
  • Reward points: 0
2013/01/23 16:48:42 (permalink)

I have never fly fished before and do not have any idea what to buy. I am a complete rookie looking to a rod and reel or combo. I do not want to drop alot of cash incase i do not like it but I also do not want to buy crap. Im looking for a basic trout, maybe steelhead setup. Where do I start what do I need to catch my first trout on a fly rod? Any and all info is thanked in advance.

8 Replies Related Threads

krott243
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    Re:Newbie 2013/01/24 05:28:15 (permalink)
    Id say you would get by with a 9 ft 5wt, good for medium to large trout water and will handle steel as well. If you think you will be targeting more steel and the occasional trout, a 6wt may be a better option. If you list a price range for a rod and reel we could probably give you a better idea of what to start looking at. There are some good reels in the $100 range. May want to look for something used already set up.

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    schmoe
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 22
    Re:Newbie 2013/01/24 22:24:58 (permalink)
    If you're just starting out
    1. Buy cheap. You don't want to spend a fortune in the beginning. Most Rods, even cheap ones, will cast better than the person casting them.
    2.learn. It ain't that hard. Find a buddy: ask for advice.
    3. Just do it. All of the magazines, books, and forums won't help as much as actual experience on the water.
    4. learn from mistakes
    5. Admit to the clerk Iim the fly shop that you're new and need help. I always get a kick out of guys staring at a rack full of leaders and tippet and refusing help when offered.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    Re:Newbie 2013/01/26 11:58:34 (permalink)
    If you can, spend a day with a good, established guide.  Don't sweat catching fish, but use it as an educational experience.  They often deal with newbies and know how to teach the basics -- fishing buddies often over complicate teaching the basics.  It will drastically reduce your learning curve.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Bdugg
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 95
    Re:Newbie 2013/01/28 12:12:44 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the input. I am looking at a kit/combo from Gander "Trout Fly kit" cost about $115. Reviews look good. Thanks again for the info, Im sure I will be back asking more questions in the future.
    Flags
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 73
    Re:Newbie 2013/02/01 15:38:49 (permalink)
    Bdugg:

Once you get your start up outfit stop over to Oilcreek Outfitters just south of Titusville.  You are not that far away if you are in Union Township.  Mike ( the owner ) will be more than glad to introduce you to the basics.  The shop is closed for the winter but will open up probably in early March. 

Flags
    wrighter00
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 175
    Re:Newbie 2013/02/01 16:23:42 (permalink)
    Bdugg,
    If you are looking to pick something cheap right up and learn, go to your local department store and take a look.
    The Eagle Claw Black Eagle 8'6" 5wt sells for $20 and isn't a bad rod to learn on. I bought one and keep it rigged up with a 4wt reel and line. It makes a good practice pole for when I take people with me who want to take up fly fishing on the fly. Try before you buy if you can, though Idk if it's worth paying a guide quite yet. Shakespeare has Ugly Stick fly rods which are affordable and great starter poles for heavier weights.  They sell the one in the FishUSA store.****s sometimes carries the Ugly Sticks and some decent affordable Redington rods. I've seen the Redingtons for around $80 and they had 5wt up to 10wt. 

If you want pro gear at the most affordable price, check out the Cabela's web site. They have some uber sales that let you get a lot for a little $. Their Prestige Reel is on sale right now and unbeatable for the price. Take a while before you spend a lot of $. If you use any gear enough, it's gonna get messed up. Don't spend an arm and a leg unless you want to. You have some practicing to do before it matters whether your rod is optimizing your cast.    

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any more questions or specific questions.
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    Re:Newbie 2013/02/02 09:14:06 (permalink)
    Spend your money on a very good line. Rod dont mean jack if the line sucks. Reels just hold line, dont need much starting out. Follow DarDy's advice...WF
    wetboot
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re:Newbie 2013/02/04 19:11:02 (permalink)
    lots of good info here i just bought a flueger combo and been practicing with it out side in the snow..i have a feeling ill never look at a spinning rod quite the same anymore
    Jump to: