AnsweredHot!Weather thread

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 199
Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/17 08:31:26 (permalink)
Yep had enough of being cold this winter so I am hanging by the wood stove this afternoon.   I like  350 to 400 up there and thats what it is right now, but If I was going to drive up north I would keep on trucking up to Chaumont bay or Lake of the isles  for some perch or slime logs through the ice

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/17 10:22:07 (permalink)
db & clint, you guys read my mind exactly !!
we are making ice not loosing it in the ADK's.. Dug my ice gear back out and will go the 75 mile trip friday instead :)
Bring it on baby !!

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/17 10:26:05 (permalink)
NOPE- stayin in by the fire- when the Gnasty Gnats come out so will I.
dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/17 10:36:04 (permalink)
Tuna good for you man... if things keep up like this youre gonna go right in to striper season from the ice...lol...

Trevor, my tobacco of choice is black cavendish... a phat bowl of that packed in to my sherlock keeps the flies away just fine ;)

Hey, has anyone ever targetted pike spawn??? Ive read its shortly after ice out... ive been scouting a few ponds and lagoons in the area that may be a good target spot... some of them are probably only able to be reached by canoe and navigating channelz near the river mouths... has anyone here done anything like this before?
post edited by dimebrite - 2013/03/17 10:41:38
retired guy
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/17 10:52:43 (permalink)
Ahhhhh Andy- we practice  a similar  Gnat buster philosophy. Cept I use Capt. Black.
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/17 11:10:43 (permalink)
Well here I am in Ohio itching to play with Steel,but the entire week the forecast is snow/ice/rain/wind and of course COLD! Good thing I have my fly tieing stuff with me
The forecast shows the temps in the low 40's next week,then I will hit them!
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/17 13:42:30 (permalink)
Dime,

The pike were runnig with the steel down here two weeks ago.  But the season closed on Friday, until the first Saturday in May, and it is not legal in NY to target fish in their closed season.  You could probably argue that a crappie jig was intended for crappie, but an 8" streamer or a big rapala could get you a ticket.  They spawn in very shallow water like flooded flats, and they are very vulnerable then.  They will still be in similar spots when the season opens.
And with the way the winter is holding on, you should have no shortage of chromers and dropbacks until May, if you can find time to go after them!

L13
dimebrite
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/17 16:30:07 (permalink)
Lucky thanks for the heads up on the regs... early may was probably gonna be when i ventured out... im looking to target them in the waters you described from canoe most likely.I plan on bringing a fly rod and a spinning rod... ive caught pickerel when i was very young but ive never caught a pike... id prefer to do it on the fly, but i am not too proud to pick up a spinning rod... ive yet to find a partner if anyone wants to join
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/17 19:41:10 (permalink)
I have no such reg.  problems. Vermont even has a pike SHOOTING season.
The New York side of Champlain had one into the 70's. It's still open all year for pike  angling.   I also fish the Hudson where it's C and R , open all year.  Andy, try to get them as soon as possible after the spawn, the large ones will head for deep water immediately after spawning and sulk for awhile. Smaller fish will be around, but I'm sure you have intentions of  gettin a gator.The last fish I got in open water last  year ( Dec.) out of my yak were pike.  Often the first ones in are also.  I usually fish big Deceivers- Chartreuse over yellow over white with a red gill and some silver and red tinsel. 8" of Cortland Tyger wire- double uni knot to the leader- figure 8 to the fly.   Back in the dark ages before I became a fly snob, i used big spinnerbaits,  slow rolled. White with chartreuse willows was my favorite. Fire tiger original rapalas, too.  I'm planning on hitting a good size river estuary (Otter Creek) where it flows into the  southern end of Champlain  next month, besides the Hudson 20 minutes from home.   Hope you're successful. 
On another note- Jack, I hope you get lots of time to chase steel in Ohio.
 HT- may your Sabikis be full.......   A little later than last year,  maybe.  I talked to some dude in Schodack that scores major big carp on bait  and wants me to show him how to sightfish with flies for  them.  He says he fishes  a big flat where they go unmolested and are there in dense numbers. May be fun.  He seems legit.
I hope I can scare up a few steel the end of the month. No vacation this spring for the first time in 15 years. The 4 days on the river is it.
Probably get skunked....

Charlie

post edited by fichy - 2013/03/17 19:47:22
dimebrite
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/17 20:07:54 (permalink)
Knew you would have some good input charlie... based on what ive heard and read, different regions will spawn at different times due to ice conditions... is this true??? If so, how long after ice out do they look to spawn in the shallows? Some of the tribs to the north of me empty in to some nice ponds and lagoon type water... something tellls me it will be prime water for them... now, on the other hand if its gonna fall during spring steely prime time i may put it off one more year as my time for some steelie action is way over due... my free time is pretty limited just like yours and rainbows are usually always #1 on my list. Maybe if im lucky i'll get to join you sometime during your 4 day trip...
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/17 20:43:41 (permalink)
I used to target pike alot in my 20's.    Here is what I know.    Spawning usually starts at 40 degrees water temp.   They like to spawn on weeds, gravel and sand in that order.    They do not make nests, they will drop eggs 5 to 10 times at different places.   Spawning only last  10 days to 2 weeks.   Females usually bugg out faster than the males after they spawn.   There are excellent pike waters around the area including the estuary (never fished there)  ,  Lakeview marsh and Sandy pond.  Lakeview has a 10 hp max and you can access the side streams and get way back in with a canoe or Jon boat I have not went deep in there  in 25 years.  

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

dimebrite
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/17 21:16:40 (permalink)
Thanks clint... thats kinda the area i want to target... that 40 degree number is such a good steely number also though... decisions decisions... if youre interested in hitting em send me a pm and maybe we can put something together...

For forty degree water temps, i think we're a long ways off... we're already one degree below the forecasted low for tonight at a current fifteen degrees. Probably gonna hit singles tonight. Yesterdays high and low were both ten degrees below the norm... although tomorrows gonna be high thirties we could pick up six plus inches by tuesday morning and tuesday through thursday is snowy as well..cold nights as well... that ground hog wasnt joking when he saw his shadow...
retired guy
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/17 21:41:20 (permalink)
Schizammm- Hope that Steelie spawn aint one of those real quick  affairs when the weather warms a lot  overnight and stays that way. Thats a real danger in a late cold pattern. Have seen them run into feeders to spawn  and be done quite quickly. In and then gonzo. Seems that they RUN out to the lake those years too.
 Coupla years back it went on for a few weeks. Made several great trips that season and the next year only one. Quickie spawn -- hot weather came in fast.
  Much prefer a gradual thing that can last well into May if ya know where to go.
 Water temp - water temp.

dimebrite
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/18 01:48:21 (permalink)
Wow, woke up to use the john... decided to throw another log on the fire... man itsit freezing... 3.2 and probably dropping. Maybe gonna be a sub zero morning!!!
dimebrite
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/18 06:52:08 (permalink)
-1 at 5 am this morning...they say 39 and rain today... I guess we'll have to wait and since they were 17 degrees off with the over night low
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/18 17:47:57 (permalink)
It was supposed to hit 40 here this PM and it is snowing to beat the band now,  I have a garden full of frozen yellow crocus!

L13
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/18 18:27:19 (permalink)
Well the pre storm bite was on for my buddy on LG today.
Hoping they don't get the expected 8-12" tonight. If so , oh gonna deal with it and jig some last ice lakers Friday .

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/18 19:41:04 (permalink)
Was 5 degrees here at 5:15 warmed up a bit during the day and is now snowing pretty hard.   I do not think it will add up but never know

dimebrite
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/18 20:29:26 (permalink)
Lucky13

It was supposed to hit 40 here this PM and it is snowing to beat the band now,  I have a garden full of frozen yellow crocus!

L13

Yup... was supposed to be 39 here... i dont think it got above freezing. Clint, i have a funny feeling its gonna add up tonight through wednesday...im guessing 12 inches all said and done by thursday...
This is gonna be an interesting spring. Definitely one to leave us guessing fishing wise...especially the newer guys to the fishery...Which is a good thing. 335 and warm weather all season long as an average like weve had the past two years definitely spoiled a lot pof people...
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/18 20:58:29 (permalink)
I'm sick of plowing mud!   I'm  hoping for  just a few inches over here on the Vt. border.   Dime, I haven't seen much low water this winter, I was hoping for a little warm up in the  water temps for  some  more aggressive fish, though.  Looks like the Beginning of April is going to be more like mid-Feb.   I guess I'll go and hope for the best. That's why I hired Randy for a day.  I trust him to have the knowledge I  lack for high water spring fishing.  From the sounds of it, they'll be run-off for quite a spell.  Dime, I'll get in touch with you just before I leave, maybe we can  get together after you get out of work,  now the light stays on.... Clint, I'll call you, too.   

Charlie

retired guy
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/18 21:08:43 (permalink)
Snowing pretty good here in Ct and more for Friday. Add this to Andys and Clints reports and might be holding  off that drop trip.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/18 21:36:04 (permalink)
Not plowing snow but coal instead.
Coming down pretty steady and expecting to last right into tomorrow . You said it right Charlie . Mud season , YUCK !!!

UFZ opener was always a high water event and fun at that. Maybe this year will be once again the norm. Didn't go last year .. I Got my little spots up there for just that occasion..
Hey Fichy , tell Randy to leave Clint's pets alone ... Lol . Hee hee.

I dis- like the night shift :(

dimebrite
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/18 21:41:59 (permalink)
Yeah charlie, this has been a more medium flow year with many days being above average. Early april can be tough. Ive done well right around this time during years that had no hot and cold winters and before any true run off came the water would warm up and the fish would turn on...usually only a few days though and then shut right down from cold run off. Its hard to say how it will end up this year. It could end up being a complete blow out come mid april if april showers come in full force. I hope the best for your four day trip. My first steelhead trip ever was in early april and it was cold and rainy. No fish hooked and wet cold hands... ive been hooked ever since :)

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/18 22:27:48 (permalink)
DB, the pike sound fun, but I really do not do well in a canoe  we'll see though maybe I can get over my fear of them.   I do have access to a 10 foot jon boat, but it has no regi, so it would be rowing  or take our chances running a trolling motor.   

Charlie  keep me in mind when you come up.  It may be a busy weekend though.   Although plans are not set at the moment the family sometimes  gets together on holiday's.  With the concert in Rochester on Monday night I may be good for Monday AM though.  Last time we did this concert we did not get home till 4am so I may be washed Tuesday.   Either way keep me abreast of your plans.  

HT,  thanks for looking out for me and my pets.      Keep the tracks on the ground or the bucket full.......  whatever your pleasure is on this fine night.   ;o).   Go get them on the ice if you venture out later this week.   I have to work this weekend and if there is ice up north and the weather is decent one more trip on next Tuesday may be in my future

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/19 00:03:06 (permalink)
been snowing about 7hrs now. while it seems to be steady nothing is really accumulating on the ground.. will see how things look when i get home at 3am and then wake up around 10.. ugh.. is it Friday yet ? I hear lakers calling my name..

dimebrite
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/19 06:58:23 (permalink)
Couldnt really tell what i had this morning due to snow drifts.... im assuming around six... by tomorrow???? Who knows? Ground froze up solid from the past few days so everything accumulated... most run off is haulted. If we get some fluke warm weather before the ground thaws underneath a serious bite could turn on due to water temp increase
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/19 07:08:23 (permalink)
4 to 6 here with larger drifts

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/19 09:07:14 (permalink)
Big dud.. Looks like only 2-3" out there. Yawn....

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/19 09:17:57 (permalink)
No snow YET here in Ohio but it's in the forecast for later.Meanwhile the RAW wind is blowing and the creeks are rising
I'll be baking bread,tying,and walking the dogs today.
Lucky13
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/19 10:04:19 (permalink)
I used to bake.

Now I 'm only capable of half baked!

Figured I'd say it before 2B did!

L13
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 199
Jump to: