AnsweredHot!Weather thread

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 199
Author
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
  • Reward points: 0
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/04 21:53:39 (permalink)
I just looked at the NWS forecast, and they are saying warming and pretty light precip through Monday next, although there is something definitely going on out around Iowa on the Satelitte pix.

L13
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/06 18:45:20 (permalink)
Looks like the cold is holding out for one more nice weekend on the ice.  Mid 40's on Saturday.  Finally a day to out and not freeze. 

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/06 19:24:24 (permalink)
Clint You would (should) never have to worry about freezing on the Ice the way I roll man..
Shanty and buddy heater.. Toasty warm enough to shed the jacket..

If your interested in both my brother in law bought a used , like new clam 2000 shanty he didn't need for $50.00 (they run 200.00 )  and is already looking to shed it.. He has a tent pop-up and don't like the confine of the 2000..
I bought a 13lb propane tank that came with a "sunflower" (torch)heater that I don't want for cheap.. I wanted the tank, not the heater.
The Ice is still nice and temps for Lake George this Sat are looking STELLER 46 deg and sunshine :)
Hope you
Wack em' man !!!

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/08 10:51:35 (permalink)
At least a foot on the ground and snowing lightly.  Waiting for it to stop so I can fire up the snow thrower and shovel the walk.  Hope this is Winter's last gasp. 
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/09 07:43:49 (permalink)
Gonna be a bang up day today with nice sunny weather.  A real oddity here for winter.   HT I have a  sunflower I used to use in the garage,  but it does not do much without a shanty so interested I am.   Was looking into a larger pop up one, but I got to thinking I go out alone alot so that 2000 may fit the bill.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

twobob
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1674
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/09 11:01:00 (permalink)
Still trying to regain some core heat.
Sposed ta be mid 40s today but there ws ice on the windows predawn as I headed out.
Ended up putting 3 into the net of a nice bead lifter.
Had 5 more on I couldn't handle 2 of which I am pretty sure were wrong enders that I tried to bull in but snapped me instead.
Beader had 1 on he had no chance with.

One of mine was a male in the low double digits, another a beautiful female pushing 10 and the last a male 5 or 6.
All in all a nice mornings fish but the ratzassbastard that was supposed to meet me did't show and I was planning on stealing his egg sacks.
Some people!
Speaking of DON'T MAKE ME BREAK OUT THE OLD JACK nickname Chuckie. 
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/12 16:59:49 (permalink)
not much good to say about it today.. raining cats & dogs out there, ice is shot (locally) , cricks are chocolate goo and my 5' snowman I made with grandson sunday is toast..
Mud season,,, yuck  !!! Glad I'm taking a week off and hope the fish will still be hungry next week  !!

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/12 17:36:04 (permalink)
Same here HT lost alot of snow and a shanty went through at sandy pond yesterday.   Looks like it may be a relaxing weekend for once.

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/14 07:02:41 (permalink)
Snowing pretty good and about 4 to 6 inches already.   Where is that nice weather???

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/14 18:28:16 (permalink)
6 in the drive , but alot blown away during the day.   I bet it was BRUTAL on the river today.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/14 20:21:58 (permalink)
sounds wintery again there clint. pretty uneventful here. cold wind and not much warmth out there today.. yup, bet it was brutal in the water and been there,done that.. Good week to regroup for me..
Wish all you fishers well .
wonder how the weather is doing in ct ?

troutbum21
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/14 20:28:54 (permalink)
Cold and blustery down south.  Even had a light dusting overnight.

retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/14 21:53:25 (permalink)
Hey Tuna- Just got back from a nice warm long annual trip to the Carib. islands and great beaches. ( no ice there)
 Got back to freezing temps and lots of flurries. As soon as it warms a bit am gonna be charging up for drops.
  Political Schedule is crazy with Budget woes and weekly meetings but a couple of days here and there are certainly in order.
 Seems like our weather here in CT is a mirror of what I'm seeing on reports for the SR. lately.
dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/15 06:03:21 (permalink)
Well trev, it was a balmy 8 walking out the door this morning.... yesterday was 15, but with the wind yesterday it was beyond brutal...especially after the near 60 we had on sunday
retired guy
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/15 08:26:03 (permalink)
Hey Andy-
 Took a look at the 10 day forecast and it looks like some decent weather starting in your future- hope it lasts this time.
 Looking forward to those lawn mowing and Smallmouth trips. After drops of course.
post edited by retired guy - 2013/03/15 08:27:32
dimebrite
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/15 10:39:04 (permalink)
Something tells me its gonna be a dragged out end of winter.... night time lows are still gonna be low and many days shighs in the 30s at most. I checked natal waters last weekend while in a tshirt and no fish to be found... something tells me that wont be the case this weekend, but theres still a ton of snow melt to trickle down... probably not gonna see the early smallies this year... gotta hook up with you in june and july....smallies!!!,
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/15 18:04:29 (permalink)
So glad you didn't get lost at sea and awesome you had a nice refresher vacation RT.. My wife is planning some "vacation" trip in one of those tropics, Jamaica , ? mid oct I think and honestly I want no part.. Ain't no ice, ain't no trout and ain't no steelies.. Don't sound like fun to me...
My suggestion was Yellowstone.. Didn't go over well..
Ah the weather ::
Well with opening day of Striper season (GW-North) tomorrow, I think I'll pass.. The mighty Hudson & Trips are high and muddy, ain't no stripers coming this way yet.. Looking like a typical spring run..
Mid-late April and hope the big rains stay low..
Hope the weather was nice enough to get Luck & TB on some water this week..Hahhh.. Maybe L-13 hit up that SOL meeting..
Key info from those 2-bobs..lol :)
Well my computer sounds like it's on it's last buzz.. My only fear is loosing my music.. It holds my i-tunes catalog which is around 12,000 songs.. I have other computers to use but this was my music fat line to the goods..

Tomorrow is a housework day and then it's on to the water for round 200... Hope to see some folks soon.

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/15 18:58:00 (permalink)
My buddy took a walk to around  a small  trib on Sunday a saw a pair flopping around making a redd , but only 2

dimebrite
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/15 19:47:18 (permalink)
Tuna... look in to andros island... largest bahamian island but least inhabited... also the largest population of large bonefish ;)

Solitude and tranquility on beautiful beaches with no one in sight.... large hard fighting bonefish????? Not only a fishermans paradise ;)
retired guy
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/15 19:48:04 (permalink)
Hey Tuna- you might be shocked at the fish close to shore in the Carib. Also the huge variety.
 Jamaica can be tough when not very near a Hotel or public place though- Security for tourists is commonplace in many areas but it has some great spots. Other  Islands can be similar. If ya go take a bamboo river raft down  the Matha Brae.
 Actually despite some news reports Mexico in the Gulf is great-especailly their State parks like X-Caret in Plya Del Carmen (sp) across from Cancoun.--no comparisons.
 Personally like  St Marteen and St Thomas as well as several very beautiful  places in the Dom. Republic. Mostly for the great beaches.
 Have seen a number of tourists fly fishing right in towns near docks and such-and have also seen some approached and told its not allowed without a license. Had a great afternoon once when seeing a bunch of kids handlining. Went to a store bought  line and hooks and bait for everyone . Used the can and line method with them for a long time- GREAT.
  Kinda like to put on the snorkel gear and just look. In the right spots around rocks and reefs its just like being in a tropical fish tank.
 Have been bitten by fish down there and once had a Pelican fly down and mistake my ear for a bait fish while hand feeding some biguns in Grand Caymen. He really wanted that ear.
  We have been hitting several Islands a year for over 20 years while Cruising . Love it.
post edited by retired guy - 2013/03/15 19:55:12
dimebrite
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/15 19:53:35 (permalink)
Clint S

My buddy took a walk to around  a small  trib on Sunday a saw a pair flopping around making a redd , but only 2

Clint, there will probably still be good numbers of spawning/spawned out fish in ellis cove through upper fly zone in to may this year if things keep going the way they are...ooops, did i just say that
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/15 20:19:16 (permalink)
Thanks for the tips Trev, really I'm pushing hard against anything outta the states.. I'm not really a beach guy and mostly coldwater fisher.. She does say I "owe" her one real vacation, YUCK !!

Ah well, it's dark outside now

retired guy
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/15 20:32:19 (permalink)
When it comes to the Carib islands and even some S America nearby countries  the wife and I are so hooked we likely need an 'intervention'.
 If I had known what they were like when much younger we would very likely have lived there. Probably could only have afforded some kinda thatched hut - but --OK
  I coulda rented out beach chairs and she coulda went around braiding hair and selling trinkets.
post edited by retired guy - 2013/03/15 20:33:45
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/15 21:19:14 (permalink)
Well, the cold  wind blew the door open, so I decided to step inside for a moment and knock the chill out.  Howdy guys, nothing much to report from me. I went to the river three times so far  in this year of tridecaphobia and did not do  all that well. A few a trip. Grey flesh fly that I got some Canuck to show me was the best. Alpaca wool, rabbit, and some long ice dubbing in a wire dubbing loop over a wire wrapped shank.  Put in some time, got cold, occasionally smiled, and drove home.  I see this winter has flowed along  placidly  in the forum. I suppose this means I can drive my new truck out  and not have the windows smashed out.  Cool.  Next trip is 5 days starting the 30th.
Hopefully a swinging event.  I am paying our friend Yankee Randy the first day to show me some small tribs-  I've got lots to learn and ain't expert like most here.  Gerry was kind enough for some reason beyond my grasp to send me a set of swap flies. I'll use them and give credit where it's due and reciprocate someday.  Thanks.  That's enough of my bullsh1t. Best of luck to all.   Like an ol' slimy pike that followed a lure up, I just paused for  a moment and sank back into the depths.....

Charlie
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/16 08:54:59 (permalink)
Welcome back ole' friend. Glad you got some time in to enjoy the water.
The only thing I'm looking to smash is this computer that is buzzing like a chainsaw with out performance . No worries here mate. Congrats on the new truck.

Stripers & brookies will be on my agenda soon enough. The sport creek cleaned up nicely this morning and thoughts of the sr are waining fast , why bother.
Good luck on the trip with expert Yankee angler.

P.S.
Don't feel like a stranger. Your posts and reports were always welcomed

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/16 11:54:37 (permalink)
Yes congrats on the new ride and look forward to hearing the adventure from you 2.  Let me know when the time gets close.   I have that weekend off along with 1 and 2 , but 1 trip to Buffalo on Monday night to see The Green Day would put me at an early exit on 1 and a late return on 2.  Nothing  much going around here this weekend.   28 and cloudy right now.    Took apart some of my tip ups and stained the wood and tightened up the screws.   Fixed the zipper on my rod holder bag and even made a lemon pie.   I think a trip up to Allseasons is in order to check out the end of the year ice clearance and possibly the river.

Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/16 13:44:14 (permalink)
Glad to hear you didn't just hibernate, Fichy.

Had committments every day from Monday until yesterday PM, so did not see water except on the USGS site.  Walked ~1/2 mile of I Creek, nothing in the falls, but one pair US and a pod of about 7 in shalllow gravel DS. and a lot of redds visible now that the water is down.  I don't think the H20 could have gotten over 45°, but the fish are definitely spawning.  I actually landed a male about 7 lbs, already looking skinnier and greened and reded up.  Maybe only a couple of weeks left down here, except way upstream.   April 1 will find me in the Finger Lakes, as much as I would like to see the UFZ opener, tradition dies hard!. 

L13
dimebrite
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/16 18:18:55 (permalink)
Charlie, great to hear from you man.... tuna, i dont know if you missed my post or not, but you should look in to andros island if your wife wants to do the tropical beach thing...

Took a ride out to oswego today non fishing related... man did every single trib on the way out and way back look prime... no one fishing either... lucky i think we may be slightly behind you guys out there in rachachaville... although flows are prime the temps are very low with most headwaters still holding snow... had lunch up in altmar and still a winter wonderland up there... tug hill/upper res must still be packed up with just a slow trickle melt... night time lows are looking low for quite a while now.... dont think it got much above 30 today... the flow gauge up north looks prime... tight lines guys and hopefully there will be some meeting time on the water in the next month and a half before the seasons over
troutbum21
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/16 22:46:00 (permalink)
The reports I have seen from the OZ shows fresh fish coming in.  I doubt its much different on the SR.  Be patient, better days are coming.   
dimebrite
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2013/03/17 08:14:30 (permalink)
16.5 right now...brrrrrrr!!!! Only a high of 28 today. My prime water i was gonna hit today is definitely ice jammed.... flow gauge dropped 300 cfs overnight... oh well. Maybe i'll pome around somewhere else later in the day or maybe i'll be like the groundhog and poke my bead out the door and make the decisiin then... extended forecast doesnt look good. Looks like potential for some more white stuff monday night through thursday... highs in 30's and nights teens and twenties...im sure the diehard ice guys arent minding this weather at all
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 199
Jump to: