AnsweredHot!Weather thread

Page: << < ..151152153154155.. > >> Showing page 152 of 199
Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
Re:Weather thread 2017/04/19 18:12:32 (permalink)
fichy
Thanks , Clint. You and I caught steel in a place that's very good in high water.  Pretty safe wading there.  Hope you get to go. I read a few reports that say fish , but as RG has said many times, gotta take those with a grain of salt. Good news about the egg take.

I got one there last year at 1700 and thought bout going back, but every time I get a free night it rains, nice days I am either caught at work or busy.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re:Weather thread 2017/04/19 18:14:31 (permalink)
Thanks for the read folks on fishing , perspective and boundaries.
Been to an iced over brook pond, been to an open pond that iced overnight while sleeping shore side..
Going to California sounds like a great adventure.. Wish I coulda went just to watch and heal.. I did this club hand no favors over the last 5 weeks today.  Amazingly , I am typing right handed tonight and opened my first door nob with right yesterday.. So hopefully the healing (and weather ) is getting better..
This bummer has put me 5-6 weeks behind on chores and preparation, sadly the fish don't wait.

Stripers, herring and the mighty are starting to happen.. Herring are becoming prevalent, chow line is just behind them.. Was at my marina yesterday ..
I fished in a friends boat Saturday on the muddy mine field.. Bailed to creek and cleaner estuary tidal water of which Mr. Jones would love.. .. We caught 6 fat channel cats that put my wrist to the test and I realized at least 2 of my reels will be set for a lefty this season.. It was fun .. Friends fishing 200 yards above us limited out on 4 stripers.. Right place , right time and more effort .. I'm playing the handicap card.. 

Wrist is getting better (so I tell myself ) each day.. My concern is actual trout fishing in the Adk's this spring.. Man I don't want to miss throwing a bug through the air or rippin a rapala through the water  .. Rowing a raft or canoe .. Digging a clam in RI..
Ah,,,,,, Just talking about the weather now,,, It's getting old like me .. LOL..
Hope all your days are filled with joy and the outdoors :

Peace & Tuna

Ps, Edit :
Sadly, The Daisy will not sit as a seasonal on the shores of the great lake this season . Logistics, crew dedication and disappointment are the factors.. I love the area and everything there is to offer but I digress.. Does not mean by any means I wont be floating a boat , wetting a line ,walking the beaches or visiting old dear friends .. I surly will ..

post edited by hot tuna - 2017/04/19 18:30:07

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/04/19 21:14:28 (permalink)
UGHHH.  Well todays east driven rain and a visit to an upstairs room that is seldom used showed a wet spot on the floor under the window.  As the room is unfinished I quickly buzzed off the sheetrock and it is running behind the flashing under the dormer window when water hits the corner of the window.  Not something you want to see after 20k is spent on your new roof, but sadly enough it may be the window was not flashed properly either. The roofer is coming out and will stand behind his work if need be, but my feeling is more window than roof. We will see when he gets the siding off.

Well double ugh seems a spot on the ceiling I had assumed was from the previous ice dams from before the roof was indeed a new leak. So there is a leak at both dormer windows. That is too much coincidence for me to believe that his flashing around the window lets east driven rains in. Been close to 2 months since I found the first spot on the ceiling. Now there is another right next to it.  The roofer called back ad hopefully he gets here quick. Things like this bother me and lack of sleep is not fun.

post edited by Clint S - 2017/04/20 07:00:13

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re:Weather thread 2017/04/20 11:50:56 (permalink)
Is it a gable or a shed  dormer, Clint?  In either case the roofer would remove the siding adjacent to the roofing to fit flashing underneath. The trim around the top and sides is a different issue, as the window is normally sealed upon installation  and further protected when the siding and trim is installed. I've seen some pretty poor installations where the window flange was the only thing keeping water out, as the j-channel of the vinyl was applied directly to it. If there's no sealing tape , which is a  relatively new method, or trim w/caulking, then leaks can happen.  . A drip cap is normally applied to the top of windows. The top corner details in windows are a little tricky, and that's where most leaks originate.   If you paid the roofer to remove siding and seal the dormers entirely due to the snow burial you get out there, it is indeed his deal to fix it.  If it was me, I would have removed the siding and trim  and wrapped everything in bituthane (Grace or similar adhesive ice and water shield) right up to the soffets. I've done exactly that many times on projects in the snow-belt of Vt. For the price you mentioned, I assume you got standing seam, supposedly a lifetime product . There should have been no less done to the dormer walls, and applied properly, nothing gets through the bituthane.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/04/20 12:26:05 (permalink)
He did put flashing under the winfow. It's a dormer. I removed some sheet rock and it seems only bottom corner is leaking .but it is coming in behind his flashing. We had no issues prior to the new roof in these areas For both dormers to leak in about The same area leaves me to think something is up on his end

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/04/20 19:09:48 (permalink)
Well hopefully it is taken care of. Roofer came out and immediately saw that the tyvek was behind the flashing and that the J channel was causing a pooling issue. He pulled the wrap out and then  taped and caulked the bottom and the corners for extra measure. Said he is 99% sure the issue is rectified. He wants me to hose it down this weekend and let him know.

NOPE still leaks with hose test, but not with the rain we got. The spot it leaked the worse is bone dry, but the other side leaks a little.  Roofer will come back. Last time he just pulled the siding back. This time he stated he will take it all off and just redo everything from scratch. He admitted he hoped and thought what he did would work, but admitted he did it quick.
post edited by Clint S - 2017/04/22 20:39:50

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re:Weather thread 2017/04/29 08:06:14 (permalink)
Anyone fishing????? The weather in SE Penna. is warm and humid and I'm spending too much time with yard work,it's really getting old and time to think about a move into a smaller homestead!
fichy
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/04/29 17:47:55 (permalink)
I've had a phenomenal start to the C and R bass season. Numerous, as in dozens over 3 lbs. and several, both large and smallmouth over 5 lbs. I've also done pretty well on trout, pike and carp.  Can't catch ';em if you ain't on the water. Get out there guys.
Clint, it should have been done the way I stated in the earlier post. I have a good reputation and happy, repeat  clients for good reason.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/04/30 18:04:44 (permalink)
He came back and supposedly did it right. He did use the sticky tape this time around all the corners and bottom. Hose test shows no leaks. This guy offered no excuses and took responsibility for what he did wrong and told me he rushed the first fix. He has always been out the day after I call. Yes it is custom made standing seam and the flashing is bent right into the panels.

With the rain and other farm business my fishing has been limited.  looking to get out opening day fr walleye this weekend coming up. Severe t storms for tomorrow????

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1625
Re:Weather thread 2017/05/01 15:45:44 (permalink)
Clint batten down those hatches buddy, it's going to get really ugly. Coastal flood warning for the east shore until Wednesday and tornado watch and areal flood watch in to tonight!!!
pafisher
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/05/02 10:32:21 (permalink)
Water is running at 2500 today.DSR is still reporting Steel being caught there,also some Atlantics are around!That flow is a little too much!!1
pafisher
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/05/02 10:32:21 (permalink)
Water is running at 2500 today.DSR is still reporting Steel being caught there,also some Atlantics are around!That flow is a little too much!!1
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/05/02 12:29:47 (permalink)
We got spared the brunt of the bad stuff . It rained hard and the wind blew, but that's about it. Lights flickered briefly. It really wet out there and the lake continues to rise

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/05/06 21:43:22 (permalink)
Checked out the lake today. Couldn't walk out on the Selkirk pier due to high lake levels. I had heard a month or so back how they intended on keeping the lake levels higher than they have the past decade so I suppose the coastal flooding/erosion threats are going to become common.
pafisher
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/05/07 12:46:25 (permalink)
dimebrite2
Checked out the lake today. Couldn't walk out on the Selkirk pier due to high lake levels. I had heard a month or so back how they intended on keeping the lake levels higher than they have the past decade so I suppose the coastal flooding/erosion threats are going to become common.

How do they regulate the lake level????
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/05/07 13:51:59 (permalink)
they can release more water from the st Lawrence seaway via dam
 https://orleanshub.com/governor-declares-state-of-emergency-along-lake-ontario/
I seen pictures of mikes marina in Mexico and the docks are gone with major flooding.
With all this rain since Monday, the fishing on the Mighty Muddy has been a struggle to say the least.
We got a bunch on Friday, some Saturday and a bunch more last night.. We been pushing 24" round floating trees away from the boat . The gang plank to get to the dock was under water , that plank sits about 6' off the water .
Yea , this weather SUCKS and for myself, so has the fishing.. bring on the black flies and clams..

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/05/07 16:11:36 (permalink)
Yeah it's pretty bad. The islands in the SR estuary are under water. Was over by the chicken shack today and the little salmon estuary is bloated. I remember about 5 years ago they had levels so low that some docks on sandy pond were not usable. This higher level will open up alot of the swampy lagoons to some good game fishing though :D
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/05/07 16:20:14 (permalink)
Apparently it's part of a bipartisan political decision as being a large habitat restoration... many critics were not in favor due to property damage along lake front properties... it was said that the higher levels will promote millions in the local economies
bigbear2012
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 725
Re:Weather thread 2017/05/08 10:40:45 (permalink)
It is unbelievable how much water is up there right now.

wishin i was fishin
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re:Weather thread 2017/05/08 11:09:12 (permalink)
Even the members of the Regulatory Board that opposed Plan 2014 have indicated that this is NOT caused by the plan but is an act of God.   We're about double where we should be for rain on the North Coast this spring, and that also extends down the St Lawrence to Montreal and up into the Ottawa River.  Montreal has been evacuating people for two weeks and is still flooding.  A release of water from LO through Moses Saunders that causes a one inch drop to lake level raises the water 10 inches at Montreal, also causes major flooding all along the river, which is also already into flood stage.  The Upper lakes are also at higher levels than in years so the water just keeps on coming, there is no way to control inflow.  And they started out last fall with lower levels than were normal in LO, so it is not planning, just one of those years for weather.   Higher highs and lower lows, that's what the climate change scientists have been predicting!

http://www.democratandchr...awrence-dam/101279100/
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/05/08 15:52:33 (permalink)
Very true lucky, but I'm sure the folks in politics who were not in favor are saying "I told you so!!!"
2 weeks ago I think we were near 6" above normal. Now we've gotten another 4" in the past week so saturation is off the charts
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re:Weather thread 2017/05/08 17:11:03 (permalink)
Even the high ground around here has puddles on it!
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/05/12 14:19:24 (permalink)
Hey folks. I been basically living on the water in the boat and haven't been able to log on from phone. The weather finally quit raining a few days ago and the river became fishable again. Many linesiders have been caught in the past 4 days , just not by me.
Today we got the skunk off the boat.
Sadly it's going to blow out again this weekend and I fear by the time it clears again the season may be over.
Not sure if I'm fishing this weekend as it would be nice to see my wife again and sleep in a king size bed .
Hope everyone is doing well .
Peace & Tuna

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/05/12 22:06:11 (permalink)
Three good days this week and I had to work, now rain for the weekend. No fishing for me.

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/05/22 19:50:31 (permalink)
Not much to say. Either rains, windy, or I am at work. Trying to get the garden ready  between the showers. Saw my first hummingbird today, that's a good sign. 

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/05/22 20:22:38 (permalink)
I have been battling the weather for a month and 1/2. Working the garden in waders, fishing (trying ) in muddy waters and fighting the winds.
To anyone hoping to catch a striper aboard my boat this season, you missed nothing. I had my worst season ever catching 1, yes 1 striped bass myself. First ever that I been fishing this river in over 45 years. I fished a lot .
Something was very wrong. My belief and thought is 2 folds. Please respond if you have insight.
1. Mud. We just started to go around April 15th then heavy rains turned the mighty into the Muddy for almost 5 weeks. My thoughts are the fish don't like mud flowing through their gills and stayed much south closer to the Atlantic.
2. Lots of small 2-3 year old fish. 18- 26" range. Are these school and resident fish?
Mostly males. Mostly kept due to regs of slot . Is the slot hurting the fishery by releasing the last 2 years of spawner 30-36" fish only to float in many cases where the small fish would have been released and your 1 limit of a floater kept instead ?

Personally I think the slot sucks ( and I didn't even participate this year ) many I know did and kept every small 18-28" fish.

At any rate, the boat is now resting firmly on the trailer.
Time flies. Doing a recon camping trip to set tree stands, shoot guns , and enjoy the great outdoors this weekend without the hustle of a holiday weekend.
After that my June is booked in the adks to get back to my roots of trout fishing.
A end of month on the clamming grounds for a week.

The great lake of Ontario has become secondary at this point. Maybe I troll for half dead salmon in mid - end of august.
Possibly try to whip a rod in the river again around end of September, but only if jack tells me so :)
Peace & Tuna

fichy
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/05/23 07:44:20 (permalink)
Not that it matters a great deal, but 26" fish are  in the 5-6 year class. Still considered schoolies, but most definitely  fish that travel  out of the river after the Spring. Some as far as the cape and beyond. They get pulled into the Hudson by the lure of food, not so much by the spawning urge.  I did hear of pretty productive fishing at the dam. I don't think it was well advertised. With the high  turbid water and low temps, you are right about the spawn being screwy. Hopefully it was productive. Saturday, they dropped the upper river almost 3' and the smallmouth fishing above Troy went on fire. How that translates to the lower river , I haven't a clue, especially as it's darn near over and done with the stripes. I have mixed feelings about the slot, knowing how tough stripers are and how the mortality rates aren't as   low as CandR freshwater bass . The initial surveys are showing an increase in young of the year, tentatively attributed to the slot.  Taking out future spawners may be a mistake in the long run. 1 fish a day may be a better call, with a tag system that allows you no more than 10 fish in the 30"+ range.  No laws are good if they are disregarded and disobeyed. At this point in the game, I'm far more worried about environmental issues and the continued slaughter by the commercials, which is severely downplayed. They haul more fish out and return more dead than a whole flotilla of rec boats. If stripers were given gamefish status, all would change drastically. At this point, that looks unlikely.
     ADK's should be starting in and looking good. I've got a great ultralight kick boat rigged up and ready for the ponds, but choosing between stripes in the suds and  mountainy, woodsy, brookie beauty is another issue. For now, I choose the coast. Memorial weekend, then 2nd  and last ones in  June penned in for now.  July and August will be hike and fish time for me this year, I think. Fish early and late, hike through the day to get to new water.
    Best of luck, HT. I hope all your favorite places produce as they always have. I still think you should catch some blues to chuck on the grill to go with the clams.  They fight like hell on light tackle and are pretty tasty with lemon butter and onion. The breachways are often lousy with them lowlight on the drop.  Thanks for stopping  in and letting us know how you did and what's up. Best of fishing to all.

pafisher
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/05/23 10:10:08 (permalink)
Rich,I'll be on the SR Sept 27 to Oct4,then I'll be back Oct 16 until ? Hope the conditions are better this year than last,need some cool weather in Sept to cool the water temps.Hope to see you and fitchy up there this year.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/05/23 14:45:35 (permalink)
I don't really know a great deal about the striper fishery as a whole. Thanks for the info Charlie. My limited information is they usually reach spawning age around 7 years but may at age 4. What you said makes since as the slot falls between 30-41"

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re:Weather thread 2017/05/29 19:55:53 (permalink)
Pour rain for 15 minutes then let up, repeat.

Page: << < ..151152153154155.. > >> Showing page 152 of 199
Jump to: