Results

Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
2012/12/19 23:22:40 (permalink)

Results

As some of you know, I just started getting into waterfowl hunting last year, after a friend invited me to join him on a hunt.

Since then, I've done a lot of reading and watching and gone on a lot of completely unsuccessful hunts.  Over the past, week, however, I've finally started to see some rewards.  Until this week, my only two birds were taken while hunting with some guys who invited me along, put me on the birds, and basically did the hard part.  While it was an awesome time, and I enjoyed the hunts, I still really wanted to get a bird on my own.  Earlier this week, it finally happened, and I got my first bird on my own, a hen wood duck.

Yesterday, I added my first mallard drake to that as well, on a hunt with a new friend.  No pics of that bird though.  After spending some time in the bottom of a canoe, it was rather ugly.

Just wanted to share the excitement at seeing some results after a lot of time and effort. 

18 Replies Related Threads

krott243
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    Re:Results 2012/12/20 06:59:57 (permalink)
    Hell ya man!  It only becomes more fun the more you do it.  Good job.

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    fishin coyote
    • Total Posts : 1668
    Re:Results 2012/12/20 08:38:04 (permalink)
    You are the man Cold.
    Nice job and Congrats
    Mike

Nothing is Free!!
    Reward equals Effort

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re:Results 2012/12/20 13:57:24 (permalink)
    Nice work Cold.  Glad you finally got on some.  Should see some of the best action of the season over the next few days. 
    wilbur_83
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 402
    Re:Results 2012/12/20 14:56:32 (permalink)
    Good deal Cold...you are hooked now ma man...
    Got my fingers crossed on the river freezing in Jan.  Soon as we get a good freeze with snow I'll have you come up this way...

I was out saturday...we only saw 2 mallards & 2 black dux...no birds flying untill after shooting hours...we had about 10-15 over us on the way back to the boat launch...saw lots of mergansers...

today would have been a good day...its almsot dark out there and its only 2:56...

Krott - I think I finally found the "sweet spot" on the foiles double reed...
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    Re:Results 2012/12/20 17:05:37 (permalink)
    I was out this morning...had a good spot (I think) but the birds just plain weren't there (other than a turkey that decided to wait until I was about 8 feet from it before jumping up).

I was going to go tomorrow, but I may not...still haven't made up my mind.  I'm thinking that with this storm, if there were no birds in the air flying to the spot I was hunting today, there probably won't be any there tomorrow in the morning.
    Hummer82
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re:Results 2012/12/21 09:12:15 (permalink)
    Very Nice..  Something classic to look at when you see a wood duck laid across an Ithaca.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8504
    Re:Results 2012/12/21 11:17:15 (permalink)
    Nice Cool! Haven,t been able to get out yet but hope to after xmas. I sure hope 2013 is moocho better.

Cold
    Pro Angler
    Re:Results 2012/12/21 12:00:07 (permalink)
    Hummer82

Very Nice..  Something classic to look at when you see a wood duck laid across an Ithaca.

Good eye.

As a southpaw, it's one of the few I can use easily.  Luckily it's a great gun and I love using it.  While I'm in the market for a lefty 12 ga., this 20 has done everything I've asked of it.
    Pro Angler
    Re:Results 2012/12/21 16:39:46 (permalink)
    Cold, I'd say if you can get out tomorrow you should.

As I type I'm looking out my window in southern Butler County at group after group of ducks flying into a little lake a couple hundred yards away.  Probably have seen about 75-100 in all so far, and hundreds of geese.  Best migrating behavior I've seen here in about 3 years.  Just small trickles the past couple of years, but this is good. 

Unfortunately, I don't have a place to hunt 'em within a few miles of home, but I was running some errands earlier today and drove around the ponds I hunt.  There were definitely more birds there today than there have been in weeks - 2 to 3x's as many. 

I know where I will be at 7 AM tomorrow
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    Re:Results 2012/12/21 18:49:29 (permalink)
    I'm booked all day tomorrow...but I may see if I can sneak out in the morning for a few hours at dawn.
    Pro Angler
    Re:Results 2012/12/22 09:35:25 (permalink)
    Welp, that was a bust.  Saw a few high flyers early.  Nothin' where they were yesterday afternoon. 
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    Re:Results 2012/12/22 11:52:06 (permalink)
    My alarm went off at 5, I got up, sat up and was starting to get clothes out, and listened to the wind howling, and the trees outside creaking...and went back to bed. 
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    Re:Results 2012/12/25 22:36:04 (permalink)
    Plan on getting out locally tomorrow.  I'll be set up on a pothole before dawn, sit with my spread til mid morning, then take a walk.

There's some nice marsh about 3/4 mi. from where I'll have my dekes, and just realized from studying the map that there's a small feeder creek just beyond that that probably has some nice marsh/flooded timber around it, so I plan to check that out as well.

Anyone else getting out in the morning?  If so, good luck!
    Hummer82
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re:Results 2012/12/26 12:58:16 (permalink)
    Good time to be out cold. Its time to be out in front of your blocks....oh wait, the NW season is closed. my bad, enough said! 

Cold
    Pro Angler
    Re:Results 2012/12/26 13:50:36 (permalink)
    The weather looked promising, but no dice with the birds.  

The pothole I was hunting had frozen over, along with the rest in the area, so I busted up the ice on about 1/3 of the pond and put out about 18 decoys.  No idea if my spread or calling would have brought them in, though, as I didn't see a single bird all morning...just two deer and a bunch of field mice.
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    Re:Results 2012/12/29 18:36:46 (permalink)
    Pfft got 36.2 with a loaf of bread and a baseball bat.

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    Re:Results 2012/12/31 15:32:56 (permalink)
    Well, I found 'em today.

Big group of 75-100 birds, all out in the open, though.

Questions for the duck hunters:

Do you think a flock like that will stick around until Saturday?  If so, do you think they'll be wanting to be in the same spot?  If not, do you think new birds would tend to gravitate toward the spot they were in?

The particular area they liked was just an expanse of very open shoreline, with the closest possible cover to hunt from being a good 15-20 yards back from the water.  To add to this, most of the birds I saw seemed to prefer to land way out in the middle of the water, then swim into the group.

What would be the best way to set up and hunt that kind of a situation?
    Pro Angler
    Re:Results 2013/01/01 23:23:25 (permalink)
    Cold

Questions for the duck hunters:

Do you think a flock like that will stick around until Saturday?  If so, do you think they'll be wanting to be in the same spot?  If not, do you think new birds would tend to gravitate toward the spot they were in?

Big IF here, but if the water stays open till Saturday and if they're not hunted, I would roll the dice and hunt it the first chance you get.  It's just going to be cold the next few days and no big weather fronts that should spur them to migrate.  My experience has been that if there's open water and food available that unpressured ducks will stick around as long as they can, especially mallards. 

There are a few very small ponds fed by springs around where I hunt that have little pockets of open water until the temps really drop.  Each will hold mallards - at times between 50 and 75 - until they are totally frozen. 

BTW, see you found your way over to duckhuntingchat.com.  I'm drod on there.  Lots of good info there. 
    post edited by rsquared - 2013/01/01 23:24:55
    Jump to: