Go to lure/bait?

Author
MossyOakD
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 74
  • Reward points: 0
2012/12/08 13:17:00 (permalink)

Go to lure/bait?

What is your go to lure or artificial bait? I mainly fish for trout and it would have to be Trout Magnets for me. I never heard of Berkley Gulp Minnows til I came here. I want to try them, but don't know which ones to select! There are so many. Which would you recommend for trout? Which for bass? And I'm assuming 1 inch for panfish? Also which colors would you recommend?

7 Replies Related Threads

dakota kid
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 235
    Re:Go to lure/bait? 2012/12/09 11:06:34 (permalink)
    Berkley gulp minnow are just awesome. I have fished them side by side with live shiners and they always keep up and sometimes out perform.  If you find the right jig heads they really look just like the real thing. I use the 1" emeralds almost exclusively. I wish I would have had some of the 3" ones at times but don't even have the jigs that big. 
    MossyOakD
    Novice Angler
    Re:Go to lure/bait? 2012/12/09 12:09:35 (permalink)
    dakota kid

Berkley gulp minnow are just awesome. I have fished them side by side with live shiners and they always keep up and sometimes out perform.  If you find the right jig heads they really look just like the real thing. I use the 1" emeralds almost exclusively. I wish I would have had some of the 3" ones at times but don't even have the jigs that big. 

What size jig head do you hook em up too? I'd imagine 1" would work with trout magnets and these 1/50 oz jigheads I have.
    TheBlueLagoon
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 802
    Re:Go to lure/bait? 2012/12/09 12:19:43 (permalink)
    I've tried this thread before, completely innocent...but didn't fly over well with the rest of the guys.

But Mossy Oak~ in the Berkley Gulp you can catch almost anything on the 1" including trout, pan-fish, bass. I just started fishing the 1" it was recommended on here to me and has worked out very well so far with a 1/64th jig head or Trout magnet sized jig head. 

I also fish the 2" and 2.5" with success. I catch many killer gills, crappie and largemouth in this size range. However I've caught few walleye with them but don't really target walleye with em'.

I have had 0 success on 3" +
    My favorite "go to" colors would be the smelt, black dace, and chartreuse, Unlike dakota I have not had success with the "emerald shiner" color.

Overall just experiment with different sizes and see what works best for you. And don't leave a minnow on your hook because the gulp dries out and becomes a pain in the arse to take off your hook or jig.

Got Walleye???
    MossyOakD
    Novice Angler
    Re:Go to lure/bait? 2012/12/09 12:29:33 (permalink)
    Understandable lol

I'm just looking to order some new stuff for spring and I'm compiling my order on FishUSA. Wanted to try and add these to my arsenal.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    Re:Go to lure/bait? 2012/12/11 23:40:35 (permalink)
    Be careful when putting the lids back on the jars. The jars are notorious for leaking,they not only make a mess,but the minnws dry out also. After using them a while try dipping the minnow back into the juice for a few seconds, then resume casting.  Seems to help me.  sam
    TheBlueLagoon
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 802
    Re:Go to lure/bait? 2012/12/12 09:32:11 (permalink)
    I had a bottle of gulp alive redworms, no matter how I put the lid back on it leaked throughout my tackle bag. Annoying, but the product works well so I put up with it.

Got Walleye???
    Fish5000
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 694
    Re:Go to lure/bait? 2012/12/27 21:57:56 (permalink)
    The ONLY Berkely Gulp Alive I use are the 4" minnows in chartreuse or black for Walleye. Absolute killer on walleye. I do realize that you asked about trout, bass and panfish, but I have other artificials for those species.
    Jump to: