Ideal fly setup for steel?

Author
FLIPNPITCH
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points: 0
2012/11/05 11:25:12 (permalink)

Ideal fly setup for steel?

Wondering what everyone's opinion is on the ideal flyrod setup for steelhead. Didn't spend a ton of money on my first. Bought a combo at Cabela's for $100. Cabela's Three Forks 7/8/9 reel on Cabela's Wind River 908-4 9' #8 rod. Gonna try this out on steel for the first time Wednesday and Thursday and see what happens. Reel doesn't seem to have a lot of drag but this is my first fly outfit so nothing to compare to. Any thoughts?

7 Replies Related Threads

Pa_Fly_Guide
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re:Ideal fly setup for steel? 2012/11/05 12:21:56 (permalink)
    if its your first setup thats ok. I mean some guys go out and spend top dollar and then realize they arent into it. I think it is best to buy cheaper gear for startup. that way if you do like it and upgrade, you will notice and appreciate the difference. i have seen some guys that the first rod they cast is a helios and they are like yeah its ok. If they have the funds for that good for them, but i bet you most guys will agree you shouldnt break the bank on a very first setup.

Nick
    FLIPNPITCH
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re:Ideal fly setup for steel? 2012/11/05 12:48:50 (permalink)
    That was my thinking when I bought it. Didn't want to drop hundreds and find out i didn't like or couldn't do it. At the same time, don't want to get up there and not have enough rod or reel to land fish. If I'm lucky enough to hook one I'll lose it more because of operator failure than equipment problems I figure. Definitely gonna be a new experience. 
    fishingood
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 95
    Re:Ideal fly setup for steel? 2012/11/06 14:09:36 (permalink)
    I usually do my fly fishing with a 5 weight Courtland, but wanted to bump up to an 8/9 weight rod for a little more muscle with steelhead, big browns, pike, etc. So I purchased an 8 weight Cabelas 3 Forks/ Prestige Plus reel combo, for around 80 dollars, and I have not been disappointed yet. These rods are great for an entry level/ situational rod. Also, remember, it aint the rod, it's the fisherman. If you have an entry-level rod, but can drift better, and present your offering right on a steelhead's nose, you will catch more fish than that guy who strutts around with his Helios, but can't drift.
    ROCKHARD
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 877
    Re:Ideal fly setup for steel? 2012/11/06 18:11:34 (permalink)
    I have been using my cabelas 3 forks 6 wt for 4 yrs now ,on steel ,never a problem,but granted the fish is boss for awhile,,,,,enjoy what u use..

WHAT WE HAVE HERE IS A FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE,, SOME MEN YOU JUST CANT REACH
    mugz
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 71
    Re:Ideal fly setup for steel? 2012/11/06 22:06:33 (permalink)
    remember Cabela's is a big time retailer so products that carry their name are from a well known high end equipment company so their products are just as good but cost less.
    some people would be very surprised to find out who actually supplies Cabela's, Bass Pro & Gander Mountain with products that cost sometimes half as much.!!.
    DryflyTU
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 63
    Re:Ideal fly setup for steel? 2012/11/07 04:48:49 (permalink)
    You can also look at the combo's FishUSA carries at the link below. There are some in your price range that are every bit as good as the offerings from Cabela's.
    http://www.fishusa.com/FlyFishing-RodReelOutfits_c.html

schmoe
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 22
    Re:Ideal fly setup for steel? 2012/11/07 22:37:11 (permalink)
    Fish what you got.  Any fly rod is better than no fly rod.  I have two different rods I use for steel head (9' 7 weight and 10'6" 8 weight).    Stick with what you got until you figure out how to use it   I say that because how you use it is much more important than what label it has on it.  

Jump to: