doubletaper
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3977
  • Reward points: 0
2012/10/19 01:37:41 (permalink)

Cameron County Natives

Cameron County Natives
10/13/12

The native brook mountain creek flowed low and clear. Autumn leaves lay upon the banks and moss covered boulders, drifted upon the water and in some areas covered the creek completely. Twigs and branch roots extended over the skinny water making placement of a fly difficult let alone the bank-side hazards hampering casting. Though the creek flowed clear the stony creek bed gave up no obvious visual stationed trout. It was technical fishing at its best.

Skip let me take the first casts into the first couple of open pools as we fished up creek. We fished dry caddis imitations and the native brookies, when not spooked, rose quickly to them in the October chill. I caught a couple of minnow size natives but Skip’s catches out lengthened mine by a few inches. His 2 weight rod flexed with ease on the forward cast and the caddis fell upon the water gently at times.
I found that when the brookies were spooked they’d flee to undercuts or under the cover of leaves gathered along the banks or tail-outs. Skip figured, even though we both fished up creek, I may have been getting too nearer the pools in such clear water. Once I stayed back a few more feet the more success I had in making trout rise.
One of Skip's Brook trout

One of mine

Skip would pass up sections of skinny water, point out bigger pools and we would take turns trying our luck in the nicer open runs. The mountainside gave a gorgeous backdrop of green ferns, autumn colored leaves and olive pines on uneven terrain. The creek flowed over and between crevices of rock. Some creating spouting water falls into the head of small pools. These small deeper pools, no deeper than a couple of feet, is where we would catch the bigger natives, some as lengthy as 8 or 9”. Late in the afternoon Skip gave me the OK to give one of these pools a try.

I learned from a guide, while we were fishing a small brook in The Great Smokey’s, you fish a pool from the tail-out to the head. You just never know where a wild trout will be holding.

From my position, in the middle of the creek, I checked my back-casting clearance and began my cast with my 3 weight Hardy Demon rod. A soft loop placed my caddis about 3 feet up stream from the leaf covered tail-out. Skip and I watched in amazement as a surface torpedo wake b-lined right towards my imitation from under the poolside leaves a couple of feet away. When the water rippled at my fly I wristed the hook set and the unsuspecting wild brookie skittered about. I brought her towards me with not too much commotion in the upper part of the pool. 

My next few casts were further up towards the head of the pool with my last cast being nearer the right side in dead water. It was the left front of this pool I was counting on.
From above, water found its way between rock crevices and spilled over a narrow rock shelf. The falling water bubbled below within a foot and a half wide channel that led to the wider mouth of the pool. If I could get my caddis in that channel of wavy water I figured would be my best chance for another unsuspecting trout. I told Skip my plan as he watched me cast. My first cast was short and a little to the right. I let my fly drift back towards me before recasting. With a little wrist on my forward cast I dropped the caddis exactly where I wanted; shy of the falls and between the stone wall channel.
“That’s it!” I muttered as the elk hair wing wobbled in the channel with the riffles. In an instant, with a hardy surface splash, a fish attempted to consume my dry. I reared back, with a little more force than I needed, to set the hook. The fish skittered a short distance with a fight before it released itself from the barbless hook.

Truthfully, bringing that native trout to hand or even seeing it didn’t matter as much. It was the execution, the precise placement and fooling the trout that was the most rewarding accomplishment.

Beyond that pool Skip assured me the water narrowed even more with less open pools. We walked up to an old logging lane and proceeded back to my van. I lit up a Cohiba Pequenos for the relaxing stroll along the mountainside.

_________~doubletaper

post edited by doubletaper - 2012/10/19 08:04:11

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
it's not luck
if success is consistent 

8 Replies Related Threads

Accountant
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    Re:Cameron County Natives 2012/10/19 09:21:40 (permalink)
    those last two fish are great.  awesome adventure.  brook trout are one tough fish.
    mohawksyd
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 854
    Re:Cameron County Natives 2012/10/19 22:32:12 (permalink)
    Some beautiful scenery you fished there.  Very cool.

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    Re:Cameron County Natives 2012/10/21 15:57:05 (permalink)
    I had a blast Jerry   I can't wait to do it again......  BTW  Have you seen any F-16's lately   

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    Re:Cameron County Natives 2012/10/22 08:01:08 (permalink)
    i was going to put that in the story but who would of believed that an f-16 was flying around Cameron County just above tree to level?

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

mook14
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 301
    Re:Cameron County Natives 2012/10/22 08:11:58 (permalink)
    I believe it.I think that same bird flew over McKean co. on Oct.13. Pretty awesome,just above the trees
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    Re:Cameron County Natives 2012/10/22 09:02:47 (permalink)
    mook, that's the same day we were fishing. we heard it coming, err it was over our heads by then. it was super loud as the leaves shook. i thought skip was going to have a heart attack.
    awesome sight though!

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

bcain
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    Re:Cameron County Natives 2012/10/28 23:29:34 (permalink)
    My uncle told me that years ago, he was up in the cameron/elk county area fishing in a stream. He said that he heard a loud noise. He said two fighter planes came up through the valley just a few hundred feet off the ground. They were practicing dog fighting maneuvers. Would have been neat to see. Must be a base up there somewhere.
    Erie Mako
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 443
    Re:Cameron County Natives 2012/10/29 07:59:46 (permalink)
    No base up there.
    Just a good place to practice for a couple of reasons...due to the terrain they can play hide-and-seek with the ground RADAR stations so they get to practice too and in the event of a major mishap or crash there will be less civillian damage since the population there is reduced.

On the internet, EVERYONE is entitled to their opinion!
    Jump to: