Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
HardCore Fisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 519
  • Reward points: 0
2007/12/29 02:34:40 (permalink)

Opinions on the Brown Trout stockings

I sorta don't think they should stock the brown trout in the Erie tribs for the opening day of trout season in the spring and they should stock them elsewhere since the state is stocking lesser and lesser fish it seems every other year. To me its a waste of fish, why would you wanna catch 6-12 inch browns when you can be catching 5-6-7 and so on pound steelhead. I know most run into the lake an such in the summer an grow pretty nice sized but honestly stock them elsewhere since theirs already a nice gamefish present, we could really use them on the nice less stocked waters down here in the south. What do you folks think ?

Ronnie

41 Replies Related Threads

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8504
    RE: Opinions on the Brown Trout stockings 2007/12/29 06:02:20 (permalink)
    Depends where you live. I think they should stock steels in the Shenango. lol

jaymztrain
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Opinions on the Brown Trout stockings 2007/12/29 07:49:41 (permalink)
    post edited by jaymztrain - 2009/11/16 19:09:43
    FlashDance
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: Opinions on the Brown Trout stockings 2007/12/29 08:41:04 (permalink)
    Your going to find many that disagree with you.

Your going to find that many wish that they would stock FEWER steelhead and more brown trout.

The only way to explain it, is to take a trip to the Ontario tribs and you'll understand why.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6352
    RE: Opinions on the Brown Trout stockings 2007/12/29 09:05:55 (permalink)
    Personally I would like to see a few additional browns stocked in the tribs.  Mostly for the variety and the thrill of  catching them.  Also, I find that the browns tend to be better eating (my opinion), and a bit more agressive fighters.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: Opinions on the Brown Trout stockings 2007/12/29 10:10:32 (permalink)
    I read that there will be Browns(smolts) stocked in the tribs(about 80,000) in the near future(1-2 yrs). This was in an article printed by the Erie Sportfishing Assoc. Personnaly I like fishing for big browns because they are tougher to catch than the normal Steelhead(my opinion). And of course variety. I will never forget in Oct. of 1991 I was fishing at the bottom of 12 mile, The hole had EVERYTHING in it. Steelhead,Kings,Cohos, and my biggest Brown that I have ever caught. She was 28 and half inches and weighed almost 14lbs!(full of eggs). I was in college so I had no money to get her mounted. Someome actually ate her!(guy from Pittsburgh). On a side note about browns, For years I heard guys talking about the HUGE browns they catch in N.Y. I have been to 18 mile, Oak,Genessee,and Johnson creek several times. I have NEVER seen or caught a brown bigger than ones I catch in Erie. Now maybe I keep missing the BIG runs of these monster browns or else they are just some more of those great fish stories. I will admit that I did see a lot more browns than I do in Erie. But the "sportsmanship" on the N.Y. tribs is too much for my taste.(fights,major cussing).  I am not trying to start an arguement, just giving my opinion.
    steelheaders#1
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 231
    RE: Opinions on the Brown Trout stockings 2007/12/29 12:31:38 (permalink)
        How many other streams do you think they have to fish in Erie??  I have caught many big brown trout in the fall that swim into lake with the steelhead and  caught 2 over 10lbs in previous years in the fall. You should fish the upper Yough from Confleunce down to Ohio Pyle! Me and friends ride bicycles in and catch some really big fish.( this is trophy water from the bridge below Confleunce to Ohio Pyle and only 2 fish over 14 inches per day. I have caught 40 plus fish many days, but alot are smaller even sub legal fish. The Commission stocks fingerlings that grow over the years. And fish come down from the Casselman and Laurel Hill creek when it floods into the Yough.  This trophy water is not just fly fishing as also bait allowed !!!
         This section of stream was one of the top 10 in state back in the 1970*s when I was in high school. There are trout every year caught in the 7-10 lb range in this section of stream! So if you vere want to catch some trout here drop me a line as I go here at least 20 plus times ever year and it is a 1 hour drive for me.  All you need is a bike to ride the bike trail in a mile or 2  and you will have most the stream to yourself except for the occasion rafters that come by you. I also always  use this site  before I head out to check conditions of the yough river
         http://wmw.lrp.usace.army.mil/current/yc.html
        Thas my story and I*m stickin to it!!

post edited by steelheaders#1 - 2007/12/29 13:34:42
    Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: Opinions on the Brown Trout stockings 2007/12/29 16:42:35 (permalink)
    Here come the TROLLS. You must have missed my last sentence. It says "I am not trying to start an ARGUEMENT, just giving MY OPINION. I hope now the TROLLS stay under the bridge
    krott243
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    RE: Opinions on the Brown Trout stockings 2007/12/29 18:41:11 (permalink)
    I think they should stock more browns in the erie tribs.  I would love to see a more plentiful brown run in the fall.

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Opinions on the Brown Trout stockings 2007/12/29 19:40:31 (permalink)
    I like the browns in the fall.  It is quite a treat to land one.  This fall I was fishing Walnut and saw a couple of browns in the middle of a pod of steelies.  I fished like crazy to catch one, but kept coming up with steelies.  After landing 4 or 5 steelies, I started getting frustrated and seemed a bit ticked at each steelie that hit instead of the browns.  The guy next to me looked rather perplexed.  He asked why I was frustrated since I seemed to be doing OK with the steelies.  I showed him the browns and said, I wanted to catch one of them.... He still did not understand.  After two different days of looking for the browns, I finally got one to hit, a nice female that went 5 lbs and a 1/4, just a little shy of a citation.  It took some work, but I really enjoyed catching that fish.

Having said that, I would love to see more browns stocked in the tribs and would not mind some coho as well (I know that will not happen).  The variety is nice.  BTW - I caught a small brown this year about the size of a stockie in Walnut.  Did anyone else catch any of the small ones?  Kinda curious as to where it might have come from since I don't believe browns are stocked in Walnut.

pax vobiscum +
    RELAYER
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 465
    RE: Opinions on the Brown Trout stockings 2007/12/29 19:56:44 (permalink)
    Yes please stock more brown trout my 10-12lb walleyes love them much rather eat a slimmer then a spiney perch. LOL
    cp13
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: Opinions on the Brown Trout stockings 2007/12/29 21:03:24 (permalink)
    id rather have a variety of fish like NY does, minus the idiots that ive heard sometimes go crazy on the tribs in NY...
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8504
    RE: Opinions on the Brown Trout stockings 2007/12/29 21:49:33 (permalink)
    Bug, I do not think my new rod could handle a coho.  I would go back to my browning.!

JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Opinions on the Brown Trout stockings 2007/12/30 00:19:41 (permalink)
    Yes, stock more browns !!!  The steelies are great but variety is better. NY does it right, Kings, browns,steelies and atlantics. The PA F&B does a great job with the steelies, but I would love to see some variety. Heck, I would love to see some lake run brookies too, or stock some splakes !!! Maybe we are all to greedy, The Erie tribs have by far the best run of salmoniods anywhere !! Guys out west and in Michigan don't see nearly the hook up ratios that we have here, granted Mich has bigger fish, but you can go all day with no hook ups. If this happens in Erie, you are doing something wrong or in the wrong place ! I hope they do put in those 80,000 brown smolts, with a 10% return, that would be a nice mixed fall run. Heck, put in 20,000 pali smolts too !! If I ever hit the powerball, I'll do it myself.
    post edited by JEB - 2007/12/30 00:21:17
    krott243
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    RE: Opinions on the Brown Trout stockings 2007/12/30 00:22:49 (permalink)
    I agree with bughawk, a big brown in Erie is a real treat to catch.  I landed and released 26 in brown out of the chutes a few yrs ago, wonder if hes still alive.

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    FlashDance
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: Opinions on the Brown Trout stockings 2007/12/30 07:30:13 (permalink)
    Noplace- I don't believe he was arguing with you. There are large numbers of smaller browns that run in New York. In fact, you
    will catch many smaller ones 16-20 inches and a fewer larger ones throughout most of the fall. Most of the larger ones, get strung up
    and dragged out. The smaller ones don't so there numbers continue to grow.

NY Tribs - They can be a zoo. There are some more secluded spots that you can find to get away from the masses. The streams
    are much different there than in PA.

Harder to catch? A spooked steelhead will bite. A spooked salmon or brown trout, won't. That's the biggest problem in NY.
    Snaggers spook the heck out of the fish and then they won't bite. Finding a place where there is no ripping makes them much
    easier to catch.

Stocking in Erie. What would be neat is if they'd stock them directly in the bay. They'll run out into the lake and follow the steel
    into the tribs looking for an easy meal. That being said, egg fisherman will pound the browns in the tribs.

It's all a dream for now. We should just enjoy what we've got.
    rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2146
    RE: Opinions on the Brown Trout stockings 2007/12/30 09:29:27 (permalink)
    Flash, you hit the nail on the head with stocking the Browns in the bay. N.Y. does this in some places I know of and it works. Not that I don't appreciate catching the Steel, but catching an incidential Brown while fishing for Steel lodges firmly in my memory bank.

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Opinions on the Brown Trout stockings 2007/12/30 12:16:59 (permalink)
    "Not that I don't appreciate catching the Steel, but catching an incidential Brown while fishing for Steel lodges firmly in my memory bank."

Precisely, and if they start stocking even close to the numbers that N.Y. does, they will become no more memorable than the last 20 Steelhead you caught. 

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    kimish80
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 36
    RE: Opinions on the Brown Trout stockings 2008/01/06 23:19:28 (permalink)
    im all for stocking more browns primarily because they are more resilient and they can tolerate warmer water than the rainbows and brookies.  I live on an east side stream and i've caught held over browns and even rainbows in the summer, fall, winter.  Guaranteed all these fish were'nt "held overs", in any case I believe the commission should pay more attention to habitat restoration and so forth on the east side streams.  They already hold, probably more fish, than most people think year round.  I believe the stockings of more brownies and restoration (similiar to the walnuts projects) would make the tribs more attractive to the occasional fisher person. The fishing pressure wouldn't be too heavy and the local bait shops might see a few extra bucks.
    flirod4evr
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 208
    RE: Opinions on the Brown Trout stockings 2008/01/07 17:04:52 (permalink)
        Id rather see some paliminos than browns. I dont mean to offend anybody but if you want to catch some browns then just go to any old trout stream in the spring that gets stocked with browns. I think a pali would be ten times more fun than a brown. If you are lucky enough to have a palimino in the creek you are fishing you dont have a very good chance of cathing it. It would be easier if there were more. Just my opinion.
    go-n-fishn
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 225
    RE: Opinions on the Brown Trout stockings 2008/01/07 18:35:03 (permalink)
    Paliminos are a joke , we stock a lot of them in McKean Co. and they stand out like a pig at a horse race. They don't stand a chance if they won't hit anything tossed at them they become a easy target for the snaggers.

There will be days when fishing is better than ones optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.
    **Roderick Haig-Brown
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Opinions on the Brown Trout stockings 2008/01/07 18:36:54 (permalink)
    Here's my opinion...MORE !!!

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Opinions on the Brown Trout stockings 2008/01/07 21:04:27 (permalink)
    It wouldn't hurt to stock more browns. 

mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: Opinions on the Brown Trout stockings 2008/01/07 21:24:15 (permalink)
    I would have to agree with you,Kimish80.But on every stream.Try to get some natural reproduction on some more streams.Ther is nowhere that has the # of fish Erie has,I fish  4 states for steel and have yet to hook as many anywhere else,larger on average,yes. Concentrate on what is here,it is great now and could only get better.
    Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: Opinions on the Brown Trout stockings 2008/01/08 11:13:26 (permalink)
    I would love to see what size brookies lake Erie could produce? My largest ever was 3.5lbs how big could they get? Our state fish & my opinion the most beautiful . Love to see some variety , palominos , browns , brooks . Would they come back though????
    Sculpin 14
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 429
    RE: Opinions on the Brown Trout stockings 2008/01/08 11:21:33 (permalink)

I'd rather catch native browns on Central PA's Limestoners, far away from the battlefields of Erie....

Now lets see if anyone can figure out why the statement I just made is false, by looking at the picture.............
    post edited by Sculpin 14 - 2008/01/08 11:23:51

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.

http://flickr.com/photos/fellowshipanglerleague/
    bigsteeljack
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Opinions on the Brown Trout stockings 2008/01/08 12:56:13 (permalink)
    the number of browns are fine, they will continue to be stocked because they sell licenses. since there are fewer browns stocked those who get lucky enough to catch one out of the tribs it becomes that much more memorable. i have caught one before, many many years ago, but i still remember that fish. ask me to remember all the steelhead i have caught. umm, can't remember.
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: Opinions on the Brown Trout stockings 2008/01/08 13:19:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Sculpin 14

I'd rather catch native browns on Central PA's Limestoners, far away from the battlefields of Erie....

Now lets see if anyone can figure out why the statement I just made is false, by looking at the picture.............

Well, by looking at the picture,  I'm not sure. It could be that perhaps that's not a "limestone" stream. I'm not sure.

I can tell yo the statement you made is false because there is no such thing as a "native" brown trout in PA. There are "wild" browns, but none are native to anywhere in North America.
    Sculpin 14
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 429
    RE: Opinions on the Brown Trout stockings 2008/01/08 14:23:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Stillhead

ORIGINAL: Sculpin 14

Well, by looking at the picture,  I'm not sure. It could be that perhaps that's not a "limestone" stream. I'm not sure.

I can tell yo the statement you made is false because there is no such thing as a "native" brown trout in PA. There are "wild" browns, but none are native to anywhere in North America.

No its a limestone creek and your right I said native and I should have said wild but not what I was looking for............Here's a hint its on the Little J.........

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.

http://flickr.com/photos/fellowshipanglerleague/
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: Opinions on the Brown Trout stockings 2008/01/08 14:31:04 (permalink)
    oh, it's not even a wild fish then most likely, but a stocked fish.  Pretty tough to tell from pictures. I guess it's dorsal is a little deformed. The jaws screwed up but that's just from being caught.

I have caught fry in the little J though,not sure if they were wild or stocked.A guy I talked to said they have stocked some fry along with the fingerlings.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: