catskill report

Author
backin79
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1582
  • Reward points: 0
2007/12/26 14:46:48 (permalink)

catskill report

Ed recieved your kind invitation, once again thank you and will at least let you know a few days or at least day before we possibly head up towards your neck of the woods! Guys, was upstate at my brothers farm before the warm front this past saturday. We tried a new spot called crystal lake, a newly owned addition  to the state park management in this area outside of roscoe. 4 wheeled in and found no ice fishing permitted !oh well! so much for the brookies through the ice around here! So from there we drove back past the (ice fishing strictly forbidding signs) all along the private lake of tennanah lk. and finally after about 15 dollars in gas and 40 road miles to the shore waneta pond where the springs along its shores kept us from venturing onto the ponds snow covered ice. I tried finding somewhere to bridge but even though it was wet everywhere along the shore.  Next day it warmed up and poured out so we did some homeimprovement interior projects at the house. So much for that early ice fishing season! Also, brought back with me to nnj from catskill all my ice fishing stuff and ready for the deep freeze! It is likely now with all that warm rain melted that insulated snow layer off exposing the ice to the colder sub temps each evening. Just need consistent sub-freeze with less snow for this january!

1 Reply Related Threads

backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: catskill report 2007/12/26 15:04:26 (permalink)
    Also, want to wish everybody a merry xmas! want to remind all to please use caution if you risk going early icefishing. Personally, 4 inches of solid ice is minimum for me and with that I might even tolerate a few inches of slushy heavy wet snow ontop of 4 inches of solid ice provided not too much over ankle water over the boots. A spud/spade for chopping is also a good poking tester of safety in any event you are not sure the thickness of ice you plan on walking over. I would not however consider these conditions safe during a warm day forcast with anticipation of heavy thaw  surface runoff. This reminder is mainly for any possible newbies reading this forum.
    Jump to: