Wire Leaders...?

Author
troutguy
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 642
  • Reward points: 0
2012/09/15 20:09:08 (permalink)

Wire Leaders...?

Does anyone have any reccomendations on wire leaders? 

The reason I ask is just today I got bit off by three pike.  I've caught a bunch of pike in the past but they have all been on artificials and the line was never really exposed to the teeth so I've never been broken off because of the teeth.  Well, today I decided to try live bait for pike and hooked and lost 3 pike in about 40 minutes or so and had a 4th one look at my bait but wasn't interested. I was praying I hooked the fish closer towards the edge of the mouth so the line wouldn't be against the teeth, but unfortunately they weren't. The first fish I didn't really get a good look at it, but from what I saw it looked like a northern.  The second fish was a pike around 25in or so, and the third I didn't even see the fish but I'm gussing pike since I have never been bit off there before except for today using chubs.  The fourth fish that I didn't hook was definitely a pike. 

I was using 6lb test line, but I'm almost 100% sure the line broke because of the teeth and not because my drag wasn't set properly. I'm usually pretty good with landing big fish on lighter line. Would heavier line help prevent break offs if I don't use a wire leader?  I have never targeted pike or musky with live bait before so I have no experience with wire leaders.  Thanks 
post edited by troutguy - 2012/09/15 20:14:50

17 Replies Related Threads

Josh7388
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 344
    Re:Wire Leaders...? 2012/09/15 20:15:56 (permalink)
    For live bait you almost need wire leaders. That's because a pike or musky will grab the bait sideways, run the stop and turn the bait head first to swallow.

Whenever I live bait fish for toothy fish I always use a 6-9 inch leader that is black. Silver can wori but I've fOund black is a lot better.

I also make my own. You can get the stuff at gander or any fishing store about.
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    Re:Wire Leaders...? 2012/09/15 20:56:13 (permalink)
    Awesome thanks.  Yeah like I said most of my pike/ski experience has been with artificails which they don't swallow so I never had to deal with break-offs before.  Are there different lb tests for the wires?  Most likely I'll be using 6, 8, or 10lb mono or fluoro.
    Josh7388
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 344
    Re:Wire Leaders...? 2012/09/15 21:08:24 (permalink)
    Yea i use 15lb leaders. The come in 15, 20, 25 and probably higher but I only use 15lb, sometimes 20lb
    thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 933
    Re:Wire Leaders...? 2012/09/16 04:58:07 (permalink)
    Troutguy iv been broke off more times then u can even think by those buggers,they trash around and wrap up i think it wasn't there teeth but its gill that broke u off ,very sharp iv been sliced my share I like the 12 in leader or any size really, I found that a piece of 50lb mono works good as a leader tied to a swivel

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
    snydje
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 71
    Re:Wire Leaders...? 2012/09/16 10:50:53 (permalink)
    I concur with 50lb mono. I use it exclusively for ice fishing on my tip ups and I have never lost a pike to bite off. Check your leader as they will get frayed over time.
    Fish5000
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 694
    Re:Wire Leaders...? 2012/09/16 21:10:32 (permalink)
    You can use heavier pound test mono or whatever type of line you use which will help and if you decide on wire leaders, you might want to consider multi-strand instead of single strand. Experiment and see what you like best .
    wade alexander
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 293
    Re:Wire Leaders...? 2012/09/16 21:18:27 (permalink)
    not sure why your fishing for pike with six pound test anyways...
    muskefisher
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 108
    Re:Wire Leaders...? 2012/09/16 21:23:03 (permalink)
    try using 30# or 40# flourocarbon.  cabelas makes a good flouro. use it all the time for muskies.
    thunderpole
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 933
    Re:Wire Leaders...? 2012/09/17 00:47:35 (permalink)
    Iv caught alotasheet on 6lb test even pike obviously I'd rather not but u gota make due right, and muskiefish I'm gona order that stuff try it out my buddy's dad used it said its good

I'd rather be lucky then good,but im to good to be lucky
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    Re:Wire Leaders...? 2012/09/17 15:47:18 (permalink)
    wade alexander

Well, I was targeting other fish, but I came across some bigger baitfish and decided to use it and see what I'd catch.  If I go out fishing JUST for pike, then ya I'd obviously use heavier line, but I only had 6lb test on the rod I had with me(now that I think of it I might of had 8bl on that rod). And btw I have caught lots of nice pike, bass, carp, hybrids, steel, etc. on 6 and 8 with no problem. 

fishinpreacher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    Re:Wire Leaders...? 2012/09/18 12:20:46 (permalink)
    I was in Canada two weeks ago fishing mostly for northerns. I started out using a 12" 20Lb silver leader and I was catching fish, but my dad was catching 3 to every one of mine using the exact same lure.The only difference was Dad was using a 6" black 20LB leader.
    I switched leaders (stole one out of Dad's tackle box) and my catch rate definitely picked up.
    Don't understand why, just sharing what happened. Next time I might try some 50LB mono or flouro & see what effect that has on bite rate.    
    bigesox11
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 122
    Re:Wire Leaders...? 2012/09/18 13:36:42 (permalink)
    troutguy

wade alexander

Well, I was targeting other fish, but I came across some bigger baitfish and decided to use it and see what I'd catch.  If I go out fishing JUST for pike, then ya I'd obviously use heavier line, but I only had 6lb test on the rod I had with me(now that I think of it I might of had 8bl on that rod). And btw I have caught lots of nice pike, bass, carp, hybrids, steel, etc. on 6 and 8 with no problem. 

Yes, you can catch them.  And yes, you will sometimes lose them when your line breaks off or gets cut.  Not saying that this is the case here, but I hate always hearing that someone can fish for pike, muskie or stripers with 6# or 8# line.  You may very well be able to land some fish by setting your drag correctly and "playing the fish", BUT there is also the chance of leaving a large lure with multiple treble hooks or even just one single hook that could possibly kill the fish!  Please use the proper pound test when fishing.  I will never understand why people want to fish for pike or muskie with light line.  Even 40# braid has the diameter of 8# or 10# line!
    post edited by bigesox11 - 2012/09/18 13:39:13
    TheBlueLagoon
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 802
    Re:Wire Leaders...? 2012/09/18 13:44:56 (permalink)
    Instead of everyone piling on this guy and being obnoxious, why not just say hey #10-#15 lb test with a 15-20# steel leader would be appropriate in the future. giving answers and suggestions is better then....piling on and getting up on a soapbox.

To troutguys point sometimes you do target Bass and end up with a pike or a muskie. It just happens. But bigesox I do agree that just because you can land a fish with 6 lb test doesn't mean it's the right thing to do, bc the "long fight" or long time it takes to land the fish could kill the fish alone.

Fish on fellas

Got Walleye???
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    Re:Wire Leaders...? 2012/09/18 15:09:24 (permalink)
    TheBlueLagoon

To troutguys point sometimes you do target Bass and end up with a pike or a muskie. It just happens. But bigesox I do agree that just because you can land a fish with 6 lb test doesn't mean it's the right thing to do, bc the "long fight" or long time it takes to land the fish could kill the fish alone.

This is correct, and I completely agree with bigesox11 also.  I wasn't really targeting pike, but other fish and I just happened to find and catch some baitfish and decide to put it on my hook to see what I'd come up with.  If I was planning on targeting big toothy fish in the future I'd fish with stronger line, but if I'm fishing for bass or something else and just spur of the moment I decided to put a chub or whater on my line with no prior planning then well I'm stuck with whatever line I have with me.  Next time I'm out I would be better prepared, I just wasn't planning on trying big bait for big toothy fish that day. 

post edited by troutguy - 2012/09/18 15:15:21
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    Re:Wire Leaders...? 2012/09/19 20:38:52 (permalink)
    Got revenge today. Wire leaders do work! and fyi I didn't use 6lb test line lol

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
    TheBlueLagoon
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 802
    Re:Wire Leaders...? 2012/09/20 07:35:52 (permalink)
    nice fish man!!!

Got Walleye???
    FredT
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 55
    Re: Wire Leaders...? 2020/02/24 23:00:05 (permalink)
    I save my guitar strings and make leaders from E1 strings and use Low E strings for tips on my ice fishing poles. Very flexible, very sensitive.
    Jump to: