Hand held GPS

Author
fishinpreacher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 322
  • Reward points: 0
2012/08/21 15:23:19 (permalink)

Hand held GPS

I am considering the purchase of a hand held GPS for this year's upcoming ice season. I have essentially zero experience with handheld units and I don't want to break the bank. Mostly I just want a unit that will allow me to create waypoints and get me back to them. However if I'm going to get one it seems foolish to buy something that only has extremely limited use.
So here are my questions for those of you who have them...
What brands/models do you recommend, and why?
What features are "must have" verses "not worth it"?

I really thought about a power auger for this year but a couple of more experienced ice fishing buddies both told me they would get a GPS first.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Tight lines & God bless.
John

7 Replies Related Threads

just_wanna_fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 424
    Re:Hand held GPS 2012/08/21 20:22:30 (permalink)
    i dont ice fish but i do use a hand held gps for hunting. if you are just looking to navigate back to the same spot on the ice pretty much any base model will do 100 dollars or less. i have used them bear hunting gets you within a yard or two. the price goes up expodentially with features i currently use the garmin rino 120 the differance is the 120 has topo with its base map, my buddy uses the 130 which is almost the same with more memory. but as i said the base models are basically an electronic compass that instead of the magnetic poles you are using sattelites and triangulating your position. as with most things the more bucks the more bells and whistles such as with mine i can keep a location on any other similair gps as well as save my tracks and download it on my pc. you can save a considerable amount of money buying online even a factory restored. i have complete confidence in mine took it to colorado archery elk unguided hunt 2 1/2 hours from a paved road never used one learned it easy and it never let me down. oh ya the better models have walkie talkie that automatically locates your buddies and a weather channel. the best piece of hunting gear i ever bought
    fishinpreacher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    Re:Hand held GPS 2012/08/21 21:31:00 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
    Abey
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:Hand held GPS 2012/09/05 04:02:09 (permalink)
    Thanks for the informative post.

Orange Contender Elite 50-60# GTX 31" draw
    digital scale Matrix plus 60-70# RKT 31.5" draw
    just_wanna_fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 424
    Re:Hand held GPS 2012/09/05 19:18:25 (permalink)
    not a problem I also may add when your out you can get you gps co-ordinates and type that number into google earth and it will show you exactly were you were and you can save that map. pretty cool watching the google earth spin around and zoom in.

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
    eye crosser
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 119
    Re:Hand held GPS 2012/09/10 15:56:08 (permalink)
    I use my Garmin ($100) all the time on the ice and open water.   Mark a piece of structure during the summer and mark down the coordinates and come ice season it will put you back on the exact spot.

You can use a site like this for the time you want to fish a new lake and time is at a minimum.  http://www.fish.state.pa.us/lakeplans.htm

It helps you get to the car when a sudden snow storm pops up and visiabilty is down to  few feet.  Plus when you use it it will put you in a straight line to the co-ordinated instead of wondering of course.  And of course it will take you back to the honey hole even if you haven't fished it for a while and the holes have frozen over.   You no longer have to mark the brush pile with a stick for every one else to see.
    Chris Johnson
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 321
    Re:Hand held GPS 2012/09/18 20:01:06 (permalink)
    I received a Lowrance Out n Back three or four years ago and it has worked fine with the exception of a broken "on" button.  Lowrance handled the problem quickly.  I use it for hiking, boating on the lake, getting around cities, trolling speed and general traveling.  It has a 3-d feature that gives you an idea of your rate of climb/decend that I thought was neat, but it may not be unique to this brand.  I'm not savvy with the current handheld technology and I found this gps easy to use.   

A gentleman is someone who can play the accordion, but doesn't.
    ~Tom Waits

boatnik13
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re:Hand held GPS 2012/09/18 21:04:22 (permalink)
    FISHENPREACHER ! since you can't read my mail ( away mssg ) then e-mail me at boatnik13@aol.com  for GPS advice . As a map maker I have lots of experience with gps  makes and other electronics used for locations on waterways. Or my other mail address www.hlsmaps.com
    Jump to: