Kings from Shore

Author
slabdaddy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1780
  • Reward points: 0
2012/08/10 11:49:53 (permalink)

Kings from Shore

Hello guys. I'm from SW PA and would like to come up to NY and fish for kings this fall. I fish for steelies in Erie every year, but I don't think that my steelhead set up will handle a big king. So, I'm looking into buying a new rod and reel. I think that I found the rod that I want. Only I don't know wheather to get the medium action or the medium heavy. This is the rod: OKUMA CLASSIC PRO GLT SALMON SERIES CP-C-902M ROD (med) or OKUMA CLASSIC PRO GLT SALMON SERIES CP-C-902MH (medium heavy). I'll probably be fishing from shore, so any opinions on these rods will be appreciated. Also, I am a diehard Pflueger fan. So for a reel, I'd like to use a Pflueger. All I have now are Trions and Gold Medalist Pros. What model of Pflueger would be best for Salmon? I'm not even sure how heavy I should go with the line. This will be my first trip up shore fishing so any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

1 Reply Related Threads

slabdaddy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1780
    • Reward points: 0
    Re:Kings from Shore 2012/08/10 13:30:16 (permalink)
    Cool. Thank you very much. I was leanig toward the Med too. I fish for everything with 9-10ft UL noodle rods and I love it. I use them for everything from pelletheads, panfish, and walleye, to bass, catfish, and steelhead. I like a rod with lots of bend. I was just a little leery of the mighty king. I've seen them mounted on people's walls and they look like beasts. Their fight is supposedly legendary. I just want to make sure that I have the right equiptment. I'll probably only be able to afford to make the trip once so I want to make it count.
    Jump to: