Author
doubletaper
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3977
  • Reward points: 0
2012/07/25 19:15:23 (permalink)

Bigcountryhuntr First on a Dry

Bigcountryhuntr First on a Dry

On Sunday I met up with Bigcountryhuntr along the Black Moshannon. He wanted to catch his first trout on a dry fly and I was hoping we could get some to rise. The water was unexpectedly low. We tried a few deeper pools but couldn’t get any fish to rise. I’m sure we could of caught a trout going to the dark side and fishing underneath but that wasn’t even a thought at the time. From there we traveled to Six Mile run and found a big pool of water that visible trout were hanging out in. It was if they were sunbathing in the cool water after a couple of tropical drinks and weren’t too active. Bigcountry said he had a couple of lookers at the grasshopper pattern I gave him but I’m sure they were wanting a pina colada or chilled margarita instead. After about an hour of this I was still determined to find him some rising trout. It would be a 45 minute drive to Spring Creek but neither of us had anything better to do so off we went.

After parking I pointed out the area where trout usually hang out. I gave him a dry caddis and he knotted it on his 6x tippet without hesitation. Soon we caught sight of a couple of swirls and it wasn’t too long before Bigcountry had a tight line on his first dry fly catch. Within minutes of releasing that first fish he caught another. With a big smile on his face he said it was time to celebrate with a beer and we took a break and enjoyed a Belgian Delirium Tremens.
By the time the day ended he caught a couple more on dries and missed a couple and I also caught and missed a couple. He handed me a Belgium Chimay ale. I noticed it was 9% alcohol by volume! He told me it was a sipping beer so I decided to take it home instead of quickly downing it before we departed.

Bigcountryhuntr first tight line with a dry fly

2nd on a dry

He caught this one on a ant pattern

One i caught with a beetle

Sip’n Chimay
After a hot and humid day at work Monday I was think’n about that beer on my way home. After I ate and took a cool shower I went to the fridge. The bottle of Chimay read “To fully appriciate the strong character of the Chimay Blue, serve slightly chilled, in a wide-mouthed glass."  As I poured the deep caramel colored ale into my open mouth mug, a sudsy tannish head emerged that was a bit intimidating. It was obvious that this wasn’t a refined watered down American light beer or a Mexican beer you needed to add a sliver of fruit to disguise the bitterness. This looked like a great hearty brew and I was going to enjoy it.
Out of my humidor I picked out a Bahia Icon, grabbed a cigar lighter and took a book to read, along with the brew, to relax on the back porch. It turned out to be a pleasant tasty evening. 

Reminiscing
Upon reading the book ‘Trout Eyes’ I came to the short story titled ‘Alas, the Bighorn’. My cigar was about  ¾ gone and there was only a few sips left of Chimay. I fished the Bighorn last year so I had to read on.
Not that I think anyone would doubt William G. Tapply’s tale but I’ll acknowledge everything he says about the size, aggressiveness, and abundance of trout is true. We didn’t have the experience of dry fly fishing over these trout, it was April and high water, but we got into some nice size trout every day we were out there. After that story I closed the book, sipped the last of the beer and reminisced while finishing my Icon cigar.
http://streamsidetales.blogspot.com/2011/04/alone-at-breakfast-hole.html

~doubletaper

post edited by doubletaper - 2012/07/25 19:25:55

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
it's not luck
if success is consistent 

3 Replies Related Threads

Catchabigone
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 509
    Re:Bigcountryhuntr First on a Dry 2012/07/25 20:08:42 (permalink)
    Great read
    Congratulations Bigcountryhuntr on catching your first trout on a dry fly
    I too caught my first trout on a dry fly this year.
    and congratulation to you doubletaper for taking him.

Look to the heavens and thank God everyday that hunting is such a grand part of our lives.
    Ted Nugent

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8504
    Re:Bigcountryhuntr First on a Dry 2012/07/25 21:19:33 (permalink)
    You are a good teacher to have. Nice read Jerry..as if I expected anything less...:)

bigcountryhuntr
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 216
    Re:Bigcountryhuntr First on a Dry 2012/07/25 21:42:16 (permalink)
    The best teacher. All you gotta do is wine and dine him.

If I agreed with you we’d both be wrong.
    Jump to: