Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
  • Reward points: 0
2007/12/22 15:28:37 (permalink)

Egg Take post

What happened to my post about the egg take?  Did anyone attend the stakeholder's meeting?

L13

57 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Egg Take post 2007/12/22 16:22:49 (permalink)
    L13:
    it seems it got flushed down the pooper..........
    the SR area fourms here are looking low, i don't know , but it seems headed in the same direction
    it does not seem the same without the old gang........
    while the Eastern NY seems to be on the upswing

as for the stakeholders meeting:
    Loren attended and gave a full report on the "other site"

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Egg Take post 2007/12/22 20:05:17 (permalink)
    Yes Loren was there & he gave a full report.
    Sorry about your thread. In retrospect I should have left your stuff up, but I didn't.
    Someone is stirring the pot on SC about naming trib. names too.
    They won't have it either.
    Bad times on the boards this year.
    If anyone wants to step up and have the reins here to try and get a better board going again you are more than welcome to. I haven't been at the SR enough this year to keep a good handle on what's happening.

Lyrical
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    RE: Egg Take post 2007/12/23 12:01:00 (permalink)
    Well, it wasn't me that used questionable language in the post!

As for trib names, they are all on any map, and if it runs into the lake, it gets fish, so I don't understand the contraversy about naming them.  Finding the access points is easy enough as well if someone wants to look at the DEC site.

Maybe I should just get on the "other site", but I always got the impression there were less outlaws on this one.

L13
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    RE: Egg Take post 2007/12/23 12:02:58 (permalink)
    And this board isn't suposed to just be about the SR, but everything east of the Genesee. Of course everything east of the Genesee except the Oswego would be a small trib!

L13  
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    RE: Egg Take post 2007/12/23 12:14:01 (permalink)
    HT,

What's the URL for Loren's post?  I can't find it.

L13
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Egg Take post 2007/12/23 13:28:00 (permalink)
    better yet here is the information he posted so those  "here" can read as well:

Fall Egg Collection

I'm just the messenger. Was at the annual DEC stakeholder's Meeting last night. The Chinook Egg Collection was discussed and here is the thumbnail:

1. Steve LaPan, supported by his peers in his thoughts, indicated that the real culprit to the probelm was the fact that water temps did not drop below 60-degrees until October 17th--a full week later than normal egg collections would have begun. What I did not realize is that egg development and viability depends on the water getting cold. He said that while more water flow would have been nice--he doubts it would have helped in the end. Egg "eye-up" was only 65% this year for Chinook eggs--where it's typically 85%. Coho Eye-up was low also.

Important: egg collection success was poor on the Canadian side, as well as for other Great Lakes and other watersheds that have fall collections in the Northeast.

2. I asked him about his thoughts on the lack of fish. They are really not sure. One possibility is that the chinooks ran the lower river multiple times because the extended warm water screwed with their physiology. Perhaps fish spawned in the lake or in the estuary. They are really not sure.

3. Angler harvest, while "possibly" may have permitted more fish to make it to the hatchery was NOT a culprit in the real issue of the viability of the eggs. It's all about temps.

4. Running more warm water to bring fish in earlier may have messed with the temperatures at the hatchery damaging the fish that are being reared already.

There was NO GOOD solution to a problem that had never been experienced previously and may never be experienced again.

When asked about contingency, they did not seem to feel that much else could have been done. They will take steps to hold fish in the ladders at Dexter--those fish they missed.

They are hoping to stock 1-million Chinooks next spring. SR will get it's full 350,000 allotment, the rest will be allocated per the decision of the Regional managers. Pen Rearing will be important.

Off to the river....

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Egg Take post 2007/12/23 16:01:27 (permalink)
    Lucky- they are not naming small tribs over there either. There is a header that says it is not welcome....
    Someone started a thread over there complaining about it as well.
    The theory is they are very fragile and are more apt to be devistated by over fishing.

Lyrical
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: Egg Take post 2007/12/24 04:03:43 (permalink)
    The problem is not in the naming of the smaller tribs, every map has them, but that someone posts that I stood on this rock in such an such creek and hooked a thousand fish it may well be over run in the morning. Some smaller tribs as you know are very short and others have what might be termed natural fish ladders that funnel the fish into very small areas. In either case these tribs can not stand the increased pressure that comes when evryone and his brother is told they are hot NOW. Those willing to drive and discover how they are fishing is one thing but lurkers only going to the new hot trib is another. Kinda like the following the stocking truck mentality.
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Egg Take post 2007/12/24 04:40:44 (permalink)
    Charlie may I suggest that if you are looking for another board with good knowledgable fishers (although like most boards primarily pinners) riverrunsrods.com is a good fit. Much smaller than SC but more like here it is mostly about the fishing and not so much the happy birthday, look at me I caught a big one, me an Joe went fishing stuff. Thats all there but it is broken down into smaller nitches that you can just ignore if you want.
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Egg Take post 2007/12/24 05:00:49 (permalink)

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Egg Take post 2007/12/24 15:22:43 (permalink)
    Mr. Metalslayer sir may I say aaarrrr to ye matey. Don't you think 13 would be a valuable member at RRR. 
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    RE: Egg Take post 2007/12/25 20:59:53 (permalink)
    Only if he brings the sauce

jaymztrain
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Egg Take post 2007/12/26 07:15:03 (permalink)
      Good luck and God bless.
    post edited by jaymztrain - 2009/11/16 19:08:55
    Beedhed
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Egg Take post 2007/12/30 20:36:44 (permalink)
    Well this is better than having " Pirates " running amuck on this site.Pretty sad when a mod. has to take down his own crap  while removing the original thread on what was actually going on.And the mod. continues his defense about " another site " not naming small tribs.Maybe he should just leave and join that one all together and maybe the " drake " site and act like he does.I for one don't want the mod.job.Not on enough to take care of it.

Thank you Tuna for posting that and hopefully this part of the site will continue to run smoothly.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Egg Take post 2007/12/30 21:44:47 (permalink)
    I am on The Drake. Fun Place. 
    The other you speak of- I haven't posted there in a while. I do not agree with snagging fish for the DEC or under any other pretense. I also think the use of Trout Eggs for bait should be banned because of people slitting, or squeezing the things for eggs and leaving the rest lay on the bank.
    I didn't take the thread down because of what I said- I got tired of looking at your crying. Boo hoo.
    Here's an idea-Buy a freaking map.

Lyrical
    Beedhed
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Egg Take post 2007/12/31 18:47:23 (permalink)
    Got a map.Thanks for the tip.Guess I'll take my ball and go home now.Our discussion is over.
    steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: Egg Take post 2007/12/31 21:29:47 (permalink)
    Happy new year!.
    post edited by steelydaze - 2007/12/31 21:35:13
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Egg Take post 2007/12/31 22:44:40 (permalink)
    Yes Happy New Year To All. May we all find whatever it is we're looking for in life.

Lyrical
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Egg Take post 2008/01/02 13:37:38 (permalink)
    Back on the subject of the egg take.
    1) Were none of the eggs of fish that were at the hatchery before the water temp dropped to 60 degrees used. That is to say was there absolutely 0% viability from fish in the river before Oct 17. If there was any viability wouldn't having imposed no kill regs on the whole river have allowed some more fish to have made it to the hatchery. Even if those early returning fish gave eggs of low viability any viability is better than the 0% gotten from fish in car trunks isn't it.
    2) Would short bursts of increased flow (50-100cfs) at night for short time (2-4 hours) have gotten the kings to move upriver under cover of darkness when they feel more secure and when people aren't wading and standing in the shallow water they had to migrate through this year. Back in the early 80s when they had a high low water situation daily the fish would continue upriver through the riffles to the next deeper area and hold. Doing so nightly would have gotten them to the upper river where they are more spread out and not as vulnerable to angling pressure.
    3) Refer back to car trunk statement!
    4) Is the water from the SR pumped into the hatchery or how would adding to its flow hurt the fish already being reared. I thought the hatchery pumped water from wells that should have had a constent temp no matter what the sun warmed water of the SR was doing.
    While there may have been no good SOLUTION to the problems faced this fall there were I believe ways to mitigate them and DEC didn't take them.
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    RE: Egg Take post 2008/01/02 13:53:16 (permalink)
    Waderboy--I thought u were banned?

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Egg Take post 2008/01/02 15:32:32 (permalink)
    WB Banned? You must be joking. He adds flavor to this place in his own sick way- just like you and I.
    WB- Surely if they could have gotten fish up there under darkness and pumped well water through the holding tanks one would think the eggs would develop? I have no clue. I'm not a biologist, but like you I see a 0% chance when they are all drug out.
    Maybe the Browns & Steelhead will be that much bugger in a few years- and the return salmon? Would be the one good thing that came out of this past season in the eyes of many.

Lyrical
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Egg Take post 2008/01/02 16:41:59 (permalink)
    Not here Slayer. Johny Rotten is only at SC.
    Salmo I am hoping someone with a connection to the powers that be will get back with an answer to my questions.
    I personally see their statements as covering up their incompetence. Just like when they started stocking salmon and THEY said you had to snag them or when they attempted to restock atlantics and they closed those tribs in Nov to protect them but they ran in May and June. Now they are quoted in Buffalo newspapers calling those keeping snagged fish at 18 Mile "GALLANT" for their help.
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    RE: Egg Take post 2008/01/02 18:24:47 (permalink)
    Guess trout-boy was right---they really are HEROES.

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Egg Take post 2008/01/02 19:29:13 (permalink)
    I found this Official Document. Hope this brings us one step closer to the truth.
    http://www.lotsa.org/R9%20Emergency%20Egg%20Take_1.pdf
    post edited by salmotrutta - 2008/01/02 19:30:45

Lyrical
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Egg Take post 2008/01/03 06:51:22 (permalink)
    I didn't see any mention of thier allowing snagged fish to be kept for the egg taking. I guess the thinking is that if they don't mention it it didn't happen and it will go away. The news article called those keeping foul hooked fish galleant while it also forgot to mention that they were allowed to keep foul hooked fish for the egg collectors. Why is it against the law except when they decide to allow it. Are salmon game fish to be fished for or trash fish to be snagged. You can;'t have it both ways.
    While it did say low water was the reason for low numbers of kings moving upriver it didn't didn't mention how adding water to the SR flow (yes I know the res was dramaticly low) would negatively affect the hatchery. If the hatchery gets its water from underground wellheads how does the temp of the SR affect it whether it is flowing at 100cfs or 1000cfs?

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Egg Take post 2008/01/03 10:27:12 (permalink)
    Just what I was thinking...

Lyrical
    King Davy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Egg Take post 2008/01/03 15:37:37 (permalink)
    I was at the Stakeholders meeting.... DEC faced a situation according to them that they've not faced before. It had nothing to do with low water...it was all due to warm temps of the water...way longer then they have ever faced. They've never started taking eggs later then the day after Columbus day. last fall they started two weeks later, and then extended into Nov, with having to run off to the Black River, Oak Orchard, and 18 mile.

When they did take eggs at the hatchery....they still took them at higher temps then they have ever taken them before but decided they had no choice. Thus the way less % of viable eggs.

Hatchery water has no play in salmon showing up in the hatchery...the well water is for eggs and fry growing in the tanks not fish in the race ways. According to several biologists even if they had the water to dump down river, they would have done MORE damage running warm water to initiate a run of fish up stream. Makes sense to me....water at the time they wanted the fish was in the mid 60's and is essentially leathel.

I don't have much to say about what went on at 18 mile (I wasn't there...so can't comment) . If you ask a lake angler if they are happy the DEC did what ever they could...under the circumstances...you might get the Hero tag...on the trib side you might get another feeling. Either way they got 1.9 million eggs and hope for 1 million smolts to be planted.

The plan for the future if this happened again is to utilize the ladders at the Black River...it's already a good layout for egg taking. DEC did say they felt they missed their opportunity to get the eggs they neeed from the Black...and felt they could have gotten all they needed had they reacted sooner to the Black River.

In talking to Dr Mike from Cape Vincent...who's doing all the research on the Wild fish coming back to the SR....we'll have to start considering that if a significant number of returning adults are in fact wild fish...they may not in a high percentage ever ascend the hatchery....since they weren't born in there. This is the reason SR will get it's full alotment of stockers before anybody else gets their fish.

As mentioned earlier, Pen Rearing Crews are ramping up to try and get permission to raise what ever alotment (100%) they get in the pens to try and ensure good local recruitment.

Pretty much end of story.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Egg Take post 2008/01/03 20:15:59 (permalink)
    Thanks for that KD.
    If they just hadn't opened pandora's box by getting the eggs the way they did.
    If there is a low egg count in years to come when the season is winding down let us hope they will find a more palletable way to get what they can.

Lyrical
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    RE: Egg Take post 2008/01/03 21:15:17 (permalink)
    I'm not so sure--my record keeping sux--but I can remember warmer water(at least down low) later than this year.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: