Hook eyes?

Author
trout man
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 158
  • Reward points: 0
2012/07/13 00:02:42 (permalink)

Hook eyes?

Hey all.   I've been looking into tying some streamers. Can someone please tell me the difference between a down turned eye, a straight eye and an upturned eye? Does the eye position affect the way a streamer moves in the water? The pattern i was looking at calls for an upturned hook, but i have the same size in a staight eyed hook. Thanks in advance for your help.
Tight Lines
Trout Man

2 Replies Related Threads

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    Re:Hook eyes? 2012/07/13 12:35:33 (permalink)
    i've found straight eyes are good for streamers if you plan on tying in barbell eyes. i also like these when i'm tying on top and bottom of the shaft. down eyes and up eyes get more in the way.  
    i use down eyes for my buggers only because that's what i started with and they work fine.
    when it comes to small dries i've been tying with straight eyes mostly but occasionally use an up eye. this way there is a larger gap between the hook point and eye of these hooks. a down eye on small hooks may interfere with the 'bite'.
    when tying parachutes i prefer a down eye.  
    if you plan on using beads or cones with your streamers make sure you use hooks with a round bend and not limerick. 

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    Re:Hook eyes? 2012/07/13 14:51:11 (permalink)
    In agreement with everything DT said, it's mostly a matter of preference at this stage in the game.

I also agree that straight eyes make tying a bit more pleasant for patterns with portions meant to be tied in under the shank.

Straight eyes, for me, are typically, for streamers, associated with the more 'standard' patterns for salt and warmwater: clousers, deceivers, etc.  Most stainless salt hooks are straight eyed.  

Down-eyes, again, concerning streamers (since that's what you asked about), I typically associate with classic trout streamer patterns: bucktails like the black nosed dace & mickey finn, the black ghost, etc.  Like DT, I also typically tie my buggers on down-eye hooks as well, mostly out of habit.

Up eyes, IIRC, were originally intended to be used when the angler tied his streamer on with a Turle knot, for which the up-eye would allow the standing line to extend out, parallel to and in line with the hook shank, supposedly for the truest action.  These days, they're typically more of a nod to tradition, with strong ties to the classic steelhead and salmon streamer patterns.

In terms of other styles of fly, I've used up, straight, and down eyes for dries, nymphs, wets, and streamers, and found little significant difference.  That being said, out of habit, I tend to tie standard-dress dries ("Catskill"-based) with down eyes, for a more traditional look, parachutes, hairwings, and foam-bodied dries with straight eyes, and skating flies with up-eyes.  Still on the lookout for some cheap K3As to try inverted caddis ties. 

Nymphs...I only go through 6 or 8 per year, so I don't tie enough of them to have a preference.  That said, I bought a ton of old mustads at an estate sale a year or two ago, so I have hundreds of straight eye nymph/wet hooks, to last me years and years.

Wets, I tie mostly for my own enjoyment, and just fish whatever I have.  The only eye I dont use here is straight, with up-eyes lending an interesting look, and down being the classic standard.

Bends are a whole different can of worms...
    Jump to: